Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 PM

31 posts, read 88,489 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Myrtle Beach with his current employer. We are moving from the Columbus, Ohio area. Right now it looks like he will be there in a few weeks, the rest of the family will follow in March/early April. I am getting a bit overwhelmed trying to locate the perfect area for us to select a home in. We will be renting since we are unfamiliar with the area and are not looking to purchase a home(We have been homeowners until now). We have 3 children, 16 G(homeschooled), 13 B (Junior High-8th gd), and 6 G(Homeschooled). My son enjoys sports-hence the reason he attends public school. Hubby is a management professional, I am a certified Interior Designer(currently a SAHM who takes jobs on occassion). We are coming from an upper middle class area that is relatively safe and family oriented. We are looking for the same. We have NO idea which areas to stay away from, where to look etc. Hubby will be located in MB city limits, just off 501 for the first few months but eventually will drive around the Horry Co area. We have looked as far North as Little River to Conway in the West and Murrells Inlet in the South. We are concerned with his commute as well as neighborhood amenities and SCHOOLS(just need a safe, kid oriented high school-prefer a smaller class size overall). We DO not really want to be in the Carolina Forest area as we hear it is a bit congested. We are looking to stay around $1300 and need a 2000+/- Sq ft home. We love the character of older, established communties (Tree lined streets etc) but are open to a change. We have researched cost of living and it looks overall to be much lower than the area we currently live in. I am seeing a lot of positive comments about the Seaside, Murrells inlet areas. We were considering Market Commons as well as historic Conway. Can anyone provide us with any insight? This is not a situation where we are "Considering a Move to the area". This is a transfer situation that is a definate for us. We are not familiar with the area AT ALL and may have to rent something without visiting the area due to the time frame we have been given....Any help will be appreciated and respected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,896,891 times
I was going to suggest Carolina Forest but you nixed that! Actually, Hwy 501 is congested, particularly during the summer, but the locals have figured out the best ways in & out. If you use the rear entrance onto International Drive & take advantage of Hwy 31 (Carolina Bays Parkway) & Grissom Parkway you can easily maneuver around the traffic.

There are some nice communities in the area of Hwy 707 towards Murrells Inlet such as Links Brook, Cypress Plantation, Etc. I am not familiar enough with Conway to offer specific suggestions, but it is certainly central to Horry Co. to make travel for your husband easier. There are also many folks from Ohio along the Grand Strand. There are 4 families on my street.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,903,187 times
mom2riley, I would recommend Surfside Beach east of 17 for tree lined streets but you are not going to find those old houses with character that you spoke of. It is funny you said that because I was just driving around the area wondering what was here prior to the 50's and 60's because I see no evidence of life before that, well it least not in structures.

Market Common is very quaint (but not old). It does have a very cozy, neat, feel to it though so you may want to check that out as well. I would recommend anything from Market Common south (Market Common, Surfside, Murrells Inlet). It is still an easy commute to 501 but you don't have to live in the congestion, just travel to it. Pawley's Island is lovely (and has plenty of trees) but a little further south. If you want history and historic buildings, I think you will have to go to Conway.

Good luck to you and your family. And welcome to Myrtle Beach!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,885,961 times
I live in Carolina Forest, and it isn't congested. Granted I came from NJ were every place is congested -

I think 501 by Carolina Forest is congested, but you learn how to get around with going that way.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 PM

31 posts, read 88,489 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks to those that have provided us with information. I have never even visited the area though we have a son in college who has visited often. I am taking the info the heart and researching as best I can before we have to leave (Wont be missing these subzero temps and the endless shoveling we seem to be enduring this year). I feel it is always best to get a true opinion from those that actually have some personal insight and experience. I have been looking at areas South of MB and also to Conway for its historical aspects. Looks like the schools South of MB are pretty good. I just really have NO idea of what we are getting into and may have to lease a home without physically seeing the area All the info we can get will be GREATLY appreciated and put to good use!

(Can anyone tell me if there is a Kroger store in the area?)

Thanks SO much

Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,885,961 times
There is a Kroger in Carolina Forest

Old 01-27-2011, 05:40 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,903,187 times
There is also a Krogers in Garden City (Murrells Inlet) and I think there is one towards North Myrtle Beach.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 AM

790 posts, read 1,638,363 times
My wife and I moved here from CT last June and are also renting in order to have time to explore the area to find the best community for us before we buy. We also looked from Little River to Murrells Inlet. I suggest you take a look at rentals in the Villages of Arrowhead (Arrowhead Country Club area). It's convenient to the mall, airport, grocery stores and one can navigate to everything you need during tourist season without venturing into the tourist traffic. I'm sure you can find a rental in Arrowhead within your price range. Other developments in the Forestbrook area offer the same conveniences. PS--there are 2 Arrowhead developments in Myrtle Beach. I'm referring to the one south of 501.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,036 posts, read 6,581,683 times
When we purchased a year and 1/2 ago, we had no idea either. That is where a good realtor helped us find the perfect (for us) place. Find a realtor you feel confortable with and go from there.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 AM

882 posts, read 3,547,870 times
CTYankee & Tmozer offer great words of wisdom...

Arrowhead is a nice place... and it's centrally located yet off the beaten path...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area