Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,219 times

Advertisements

Well put, Neece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I had to have an extra cup of coffee this morning just to try to figure out if you were being serious, and I still can not be sure.

So your argument is that because someone may buy a bbq sandwich from me instead of a burger from the guy that pays more to rent a building (instead of just a piece of land) I should be banned from doing so? So you are telling me you do not believe in competition or free enterprise?

So, I would have to assume you do not think we should have vegetable stands or ice cream trucks, since the grocery store would sell similar items and they pay more rent. While we are at it we should outlaw home nursing care for the elderly because after all we do have nursing homes who pay good money for those buildings. And, for heaven sakes, don't offer Johnny next door any money to mow your law when we have landscaping companies who have invested lots of dollars in their companies.

Maybe it would be helpful if I posted the definition of free enterprise for you. I just picked the first two I came across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You see if they allowed people to do what you want to do it would hurt the business folks already there and paying big overhead to stay. Sounds like you just want to make a quick profit and run...
Your argument is made often, mostly by those attempting to block competitors. Mobile vendors have been a well-established part of the American economic system for years. It's rare to stroll any large city without finding hotdog vendor carts, lemonade carts, ice cream carts, etc. In PI, there's a shrimper who has sold out of his pickup for years and is a recognized part of the business community. He published a cookbook last year that was well received. There's a seafood market across the street which has learned to deal with it, primarily by improving the freshness and cost of their seafood. I can't imagine any restaurant around here whose business is so fragile that our local hotdog stand puts them at risk. Your burger shack scenario is over-stated. The mobile vendor is very limited by where he/she can set up by the fact that private property requires owner permission, and adequate public land usually has usage restrictions, right-of-way limitations, etc. Even with competition, the majority of folks will still choose the bricks-and-mortar restaurant for numerous reasons - seating, AC, perceptions of food-prep sanitation differences, etc, etc.

"Selective competition" is a slippery slope that can always be counted on to lead to trouble. Miss Nikki's recent attacks on Amazon are a perfect example. Despite screams and moans of "unfair advantages", the winner should always be allowed to come down to whoever has the best, most accepted business model, whether that be lower overhead or investments in more conventional retail space.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,146,430 times
I think they should let the taxpayers vote on the issue,You really cant compare someone selling apples to someone selling prepared ready to eat food....You need to offer wash rooms etc when you do that.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
It's really a murky issue.

Firstly, you'd have insurance issues. You would have to carry a certain amount of liability insurance.

Which brings us to DHEC. They have to inspect you and rate you which would be a bit of a problem if you are always on the move. DHEC is a beast to deal with for stationary restaurants, can't imagine dealing with them with a mobile one.

Just one example is that you cannot simply store shrimp in a walk in cooler. They must be kept in an ice bath at a certain tempurature. Restaurant staff cannot drink from cups that do not have lids, and on and on.

Don't even get me started on the liquor license process.

My suggestion would be to get into private catering on the sly.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,324 times
blueheron,
I do not have any issues with getting insurance. I have two beefs. The first being the cost of a permit to vend in Horry County, which can only be topped by Surfside Beach's $500 price tag (which, by the way, you can only do for qualified events ) But my main beef is that I would be required to have a physical commercial structure, (as opposed to just renting qualified piece of land), that would not only be expensive, but useless to me. What good is having a physical structure for the DHEC to come inspect if I ain't cookin' there?

Why would it be any more difficult for the DHEC to inspect my outdoor location? Actually it is easier. There is much less involved. There is no kitchen, storage unit, or walk-ins to inspect. They don't have to check to see if I am storing raw meat over top of produce. They can still check, just as easly as anywhere else, the temperature for properly cooked meats as well as the holding temperature. I don't need a door to be inspected.

And, let's be clear, that "A" approval on the door of a restaurant is overrated. In most states the DHEC only visit a few times a year. So any sense of security you may gain may be false. Even the DHEC website says, and I quote:

Quote:
Each score is a snapshot in time of an establishment's practices and cleanliness during a recent DHEC inspection; it may not represent how an establishment always operates.
Our kitchen would be right out there for all to see .... no walls to hide behind.

Quote:
blueheron said: My suggestion would be to get into private catering on the sly.
The only one who can do something on the sly in Surfside Beach is the local government....

Old 05-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
blueheron,

Our kitchen would be right out there for all to see .... no walls to hide behind.

The only one who can do something on the sly in Surfside Beach is the local government....
Hahaha! True and too funny!

My husband is a local restauranteur for a national company and DHEC is extremely tough. It's a lot worse than it sounds.

Because of a heater in a hobart could not heat the water fast enough, DHEC could have shut him down.

They are very tough and very strict.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Think about this. What if a one day road side vendor sells some bad/spoiled food and makes 100 people sick, The next day he and his wagon are GONE. Not so when the food place has an address,,,,Dont unload your donkey cart on my block,,,,sorry

Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Think about this. What if a one day road side vendor sells some bad/spoiled food and makes 100 people sick, The next day he and his wagon are GONE. Not so when the food place has an address,,,,Dont unload your donkey cart on my block,,,,sorry
Food bourne diseases can be deadly. I'm not worried about the getting sick part, I just don't want to die.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,324 times
Quote:
I have an address Nativechief. I am not a nomad just moving from place to place on mission to poison those I feed for profit. I would have a permit, a license, and a lease for that land (which would include my home address). I am not pulling up randomly and uninvited to a location, selling and pocketing the money and then strapping that cart on the back of my horse, I mean van, and moving on.

As someone who has spent time in the restaurant business, and who is married to someone who has devoted his life to the restaurant business, I am shocked to see that some might think there is a better chance of getting served bad food from a vendor than there is from a restaurant. As I have said, maybe ad nauseam, is that I have no problem with normal regulations that everyone should adhere to. My issue is that what is required of vendors is something that is senseless and serves no purpose. The consumer will in no way benefit from me having a place with a door and walls if I am not cooking there. What even puzzles me more is that you think you are somehow safer if "the restaurant" has a door and walls.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I have an address Nativechief. I am not a nomad just moving from place to place on mission to poison those I feed for profit. I would have a permit, a license, and a lease for that land (which would include my home address). I am not pulling up randomly and uninvited to a location, selling and pocketing the money and then strapping that cart on the back of my horse, I mean van, and moving on.

As someone who has spent time in the restaurant business, and who is married to someone who has devoted his life to the restaurant business, I am shocked to see that some might think there is a better chance of getting served bad food from a vendor than there is from a restaurant. As I have said, maybe ad nauseam, is that I have no problem with normal regulations that everyone should adhere to. My issue is that what is required of vendors is something that is senseless and serves no purpose. The consumer will in no way benefit from me having a place with a door and walls if I am not cooking there. What even puzzles me more is that you think you are somehow safer if "the restaurant" has a door and walls.
I know you seem to be straight up and Im sure the food would be good. But if they let you do it they then WILL have to deal with a drove of others and in this day and time we dont need the place smelling like mexican rat meat tacos and another with egg rolls studded with dog meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area