Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 AM

14 posts, read 31,406 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband is looking into relocating with his current company to their branch in the Forestbrook area of Myrtle Beach (near where 501/31 cross).

This would probably happen within the next year or two. I want to do a lot of research on this area in advance because we plan on living there for the next 10-15 years at least!

We would REALLY, REALLY appreciate any input anyone can give us who is familiar with the surrounding areas.

Things to keep in mind:

• We are a young couple looking to start a family within the next year or so. So schools/community are important

• I HAVE to live near the beach (within walking distance if possible)!!

• We are looking to spend $250k-$350k on a house.

• Within 30-35 minutes (max) commute to Forestbrook area of Myrtle Beach (near where 501/31 cross)

Really best-case scenario: we would be looking for a safe, clean, family-friendly, good schools community with beach access.

Thank so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times
I would look in Pine Lakes. It is a beautiful older subdivision that has mature trees with houses on large lots. There is also no HOA so you will not have that to deal with. Tons of kids in the neigborhood.

Two long blocks and across a busy street to the beach. Schools with be Myrtle Beach Primary, Middle and High School.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I would look in Pine Lakes. It is a beautiful older subdivision that has mature trees with houses on large lots. There is also no HOA so you will not have that to deal with. Tons of kids in the neigborhood.

Two long blocks and across a busy street to the beach. Schools with be Myrtle Beach Primary, Middle and High School.
Thanks so much! Just checking out Pine Lakes now... seems like a nice area. Neither my husband and I currently golf, but maybe we would take it up if we lived there--it looks beautiful!

I will have to learn more about this area ----- great first suggestion!!

I am still definitely looking for more ideas if anyone has any

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniHeartsBeach View Post
Thanks so much! Just checking out Pine Lakes now... seems like a nice area. Neither my husband and I currently golf, but maybe we would take it up if we lived there--it looks beautiful!

I will have to learn more about this area ----- great first suggestion!!

I am still definitely looking for more ideas if anyone has any

Thanks!
Keep in mind that many of the 'gated' communities are filled with retirees and few children. My 48 year old girlfriend bought in one and she is by far the youngest person on her block.

Northwoods is also a very nice neighborhood in Myrtle Beach.

I'm trying to think of neighborhoods outside MB but my mind is drawing a blank.

Also, in Murrells Inlet, Garden City and further south, you have to drive to the beach (Garden City has very few full time residents and the houses are 99% rentals).

The Dunes Club and Dunes Cove are also very family friendly neighborhoods but you would be hard pressed to find something for less than $350,000.

As to the golf course thing, they are like Starbucks in NYC, everywhere.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Keep in mind that many of the 'gated' communities are filled with retirees and few children. My 48 year old girlfriend bought in one and she is by far the youngest person on her block.

Northwoods is also a very nice neighborhood in Myrtle Beach.

I'm trying to think of neighborhoods outside MB but my mind is drawing a blank.

Also, in Murrells Inlet, Garden City and further south, you have to drive to the beach (Garden City has very few full time residents and the houses are 99% rentals).

The Dunes Club and Dunes Cove are also very family friendly neighborhoods but you would be hard pressed to find something for less than $350,000.

As to the golf course thing, they are like Starbucks in NYC, everywhere.
Thanks again!!!!

I don't really care whether or not there's a golf course nearby, but knowing that its a retiree community is a bit of a turn-off for us (I'm 30 and my husband is 35).

The Dunes Club at first glance is a bit pricey, but not completely out of our range. If it tends to have more young families we would definitely consider it.

I am also very interested in any up and coming communities as well since the move wont happen for a year or so anyway.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniHeartsBeach View Post
Thanks again!!!!

I don't really care whether or not there's a golf course nearby, but knowing that its a retiree community is a bit of a turn-off for us (I'm 30 and my husband is 35).

The Dunes Club at first glance is a bit pricey, but not completely out of our range. If it tends to have more young families we would definitely consider it.

I am also very interested in any up and coming communities as well since the move wont happen for a year or so anyway.

Thanks!
The Dunes Club is definitely lots of families. Tons and very few retirees except for those who have lived there for the past 30 years.

My girlfriend was raised in The Dunes Club, turned around and bought there and is raising her kids there. Many of the locals who grew up there and stayed in Myrtle Beach have done the same thing.

Definitely the nicest neighborhood in Myrtle Beach proper and you home value will continue to rise.

Stay away from Grande Dunes. Retiree haven.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM

267 posts, read 1,020,589 times
Check out the Market Common area. A great area with all kinds of kids activities. Quite close to the beach. A quick golf cart ride to the State Park. Nearby is Emmens Preserve, a new neighborhood. There is a picnic shelter and a fancy brand new pool that is currently being built.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks so much for more suggestions!!

I am currently doing more research on the Dunes and Market Commons.

Market Commons seems interesting. I really like the idea of a little mini-community near the beach like that with so many places within walking distance!

My one fear with that area would be that homes may be really squashed in tight together. But I guess I'll have to wait and see on that one. I don't mind those pre-planned community types of neighborhoods--- as long as they give you some space to breath!

Also, from looking at some of the photos of it - it seems like it may be more of a retirement community? Or do you think it's a mix of young and old families?

Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM

790 posts, read 1,625,006 times
Based on your original post, I did not offer to comment but if you are going to consider Market Common's location which is a little further from the beach, I am going to suggest The Villages at Arrowhead. That's where we rent right now and it's a nice community with a mixture of younger families and retirees with a little tilt toward retirees. However, the houses are not as close together as in newer communities and it has a pool and tennis courts and a play area for kids. It's also in the Forestbrook area which would make the commute short. We can drive to the beach in 8 minutes. Here's a link to a listing of houses for sale. I'm not in real estate and this link is just one that I found that shows houses in our neighborhood. Arrowhead subdivision of Myrtle Beach

As you can see, you can find a very nice house in your price range.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,563 times
Pawleys Island. Great schools, within 10-12 miles to 2 hospitals. The area is loaded with nice families & it is a nice mix of people who have relocated from all over the country and of course some terrific locals. Has that small town community feeling.

Recommended communities with families would be Ricefields, Pawleys Retreat, Hagley Estates. There are plenty of other areas in Pawleys that may appeal to you, but this is a start. It is at that outer cusp of the 30 minute commute to Forestbrook. However, it is far enough away from Myrtle Beach that you don't feel you are in a real tourist area yet close enough to take advantage of the amenities it offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area