Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM

13 posts, read 28,099 times

Advertisements

We currently live in one of the Prince Creek subdivisions in Murrells Inlet. We have a 10 year old son who will be going into the 5th grade at St James. The house we are renting is nice but the after a year and a half we are sure this is not the neighborhood for us.

We are looking to stay in the area (renting again) but need a more family friendly neighborhood. We are surrounded by mostly retirees, there are no families at all with children close by. Our son would love to have other children to play with. Our HOA is very restrictive to put it nicely . I understand that HOA's will help keep a neighborhood nice and keep things from getting out of hand but this one is too much. We received a certified letter when our son drew pictures in our driveway with sidewalk chalk. The rain washed it away the next day but apparently someone saw it & didn't like it prior to that. We also got a letter that said we had to remove our gazing ball from the front yard and put it around back. We are not allowed to have lawn chairs in our yards. They can only be on the patio. And it goes on and on. We are just not comfortable here.

Ideally we would like to be closer to the beach (walk or golf cart). It's such a drag to drive to the beach and look for parking during tourist season. We work in Surfside so would like to stay in this area. We are looking for a single family home in a neighborhood with kids. Does anyone know of something that might be a good fit for us? We are willing to take our time and find the right place. Any help at all is welcome!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Mt. Gilead has huge amount of families and is almost completely local. I would definitely look there.

While some of the waterfront houses are $$$$, the ones off the water are not expensive unless you look at the really big ones.

Prince Creek is almost completely retirees.

You'll find locals and families in older neighborhoods. Murrell Inlet proper (Prince Creek is only considered Murrells Inlet by people not from here) also has a lot of families.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
I'm usually a proponent of HOAs but the one in your neighborhood has gone off the deep end. I'd be moving too!!

The Villages at Arrowhead is close to Surfside and has a good mixture of retirees and young families. It has an HOA but they are reasonable people and we have had no problems with the HOA. It's about a 10 minutes drive to the beach.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeksmom View Post
We received a certified letter when our son drew pictures in our driveway with sidewalk chalk. The rain washed it away the next day but apparently someone saw it & didn't like it prior to that. We also got a letter that said we had to remove our gazing ball from the front yard and put it around back. We are not allowed to have lawn chairs in our yards. They can only be on the patio. And it goes on and on.
Wow, I that is restrictive! Well, when I become old & crusty & hate the world I know where I might consider moving.

If you would consider 15 minutes south, Pawleys Retreat is a lot of families & the restrictions are much less restrictive. Also in Pawleys Island area is Ricefields with a ton of kids. Both are within 2 miles of the beach, but parking is tough on the weekends.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 AM

13 posts, read 28,099 times
I appreciate everyone's input so far. Yesterday I got a lead on a house in Surfside Beach Club. It's not much closer to the beach but I'm willing to give in on that part if the neighborhood is "family/kid friendly", especially for my little boy. We're trying to look at the house this weekend so if anybody has any info on this neighborhood it would be a huge help as part of our decision!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 AM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times
Have you looked at Oceanside Village? Right across the street from the ocean

Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM

13 posts, read 56,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeksmom View Post
I appreciate everyone's input so far. Yesterday I got a lead on a house in Surfside Beach Club. It's not much closer to the beach but I'm willing to give in on that part if the neighborhood is "family/kid friendly", especially for my little boy. We're trying to look at the house this weekend so if anybody has any info on this neighborhood it would be a huge help as part of our decision!
I know this is kind of late but I have a home in the Surfside Beach Club and have 2 children (10 & 13). It is really kid friendly. Good luck in your hunt.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
I think Surfside Beach Club is a great choice.
Oceanside Village does have some kids but probably not enough to make it a family neighborhood.
There are a lot of renters who come in and out of the Village. Not permanent friends.
Also, Oceanside Village has leased land and Surfside Beach you own your own land.
There is also quite a few children at Azalea Lakes off of 17 Bypass.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 PM

17 posts, read 30,778 times
While looking for homes in this area, I ran across a place I was very interested in purchasing. I did a Google search of the HOA name. Lo and behold, they had a Facebook page, which was filled with gossip, bitching and moaning about the members of the HOA. The page also spoke about water damage from the recent rains, the homeowners digging emergency drainage ditches through their property... Another HOA's minutes (published freely on the web) told of the letters to various families, and how after it was verified that a particular home was in foreclosure and empty -- went into the property and removed bushes/trees that the HOA felt was 'improper' according to their bylaws.
Research, and you will be surprised what you find on the web. I can take a bad review with a grain of salt, but when you see 10/12/16, and then read the minutes which more or less confirm... Stay far, far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area