Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 14,914 times

Advertisements

Much needed advice.. any information would be great! Our family is moving to MB very soon. (A much needed life change) We visited the area several weeks ago and loved all it offers.
We are originally from WV moved to Ohio 15 years ago. We own our home in Ohio and need to rent until it sales. Looking to rent for at least 6 months and looking to rent up to $1200 per month, less would be great too! We have 3 boys and my mother lives with us now. We are waiting for the school year to end the latter part of May.
(No need for cold weather any longer)
So we are looking for a 4 bedroom home. I need help or advice on how or where to search. Frustrated at this point for my search has been mostly web searching and even found a rental scam that's been turned over to authorities.
Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,750,610 times
You can try VRBO dot com or some other site like Homeaway. You are coming during the summer montIhs when many tourists come and pay a weekly rate, which is a summer rate price.
You might want to look into Oceanside Village if they have anything available monthly for you.
I will DM you on how to reach them.
There are some ligit' real estates that do do rentals. Seems like you will need quite a big home or townhome to settle into for the six months.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Thank You for your reply! I will check into those. On our trip we drove around to several areas and found we would like to be anywhere between Conway and MB. So please do DM us on any ideas or companies we could look into. Thanks again!!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 AM

790 posts, read 1,638,363 times
We rented when we first moved here and finding rental property is tougher than finding a house for sale. There's no "MLS" for rental properties...you have to contact each property manager to see what they have. Renting from individuals on Craigslist is risky although legitimate property managers also advertise on Craigslist as well but they identify their agency as part of the post or link so CL can be a source.

Here's a partial list of property managers that we worked with to find a property:
Myrtle Beach Rental Connections
The Noble Company
Leonard Call Rentals
Chicora Long Term Rentals

There are many others as well, but these are the ones that we had better luck with finding something as most of them are pretty large and have many properties. Most do not list all of their available properties on their web sites so it's best to contact them directly to see what they have.

BTW, we're originally from WV but lived in CT for many years before moving to MB. Love it here and hopefully you will as well. If you want to PM me, I can give you a specific person to contact re rentals at one of the agencies listed above.

Lastly, there are several nice communities between Conway and MB. My advice would be to find one that can be accessed from Rt544 rather than 501. You'll save yourself lots of traffic problems during the summer.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Myrtle Beach Relocation...

Thanks CT... I will defiantly check those out as well! I can most defiantly use any info and phone numbers you may have! I'm really trying to stay away from Craigslist that is where I found the scam I mentioned in earlier posts.
I will try again looking for those that Property Managers post.. Again I would like to thank all that have came forth with info, which also helped us chose between NC verses SC. I've been searching this web site since January trying to find useful info but it gets a little overwhelming trying to sift through them all...

Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 PM

Well since I posted asking for advice... You all have been so helpful with info on some companies to check out, so Thank You. I have contacted all links and some haven't even given a return phone call... I am bummed!!
Was even told today that I'm asking for the impossible.. after being cut short and told that while he was on the phone with me "He missed 3 phone calls"! Is it because I'm not in the area that my inquires aren't important enough>>??
The reason for calling was -asking for maybe the time for them to search for something or if they even thought they could find it.. I'm looking for 3 to 4 bedroom home, 3 with a bonus room that might be converted.. even with reviewing $$$ for a home we moved up to around $1700. I will say some told be to call when we come in again, which will be in 2 weeks!
So what are the chances that when we come in we can drive around looking for homes that have For Rent signs??
Sorry for Venting... Family was really looking forward to the move.. Now just feels impossible.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM

790 posts, read 1,638,363 times
Driving around looking for "For Rent" signs will, generally, be very frustrating and a waste of your time. Most houses that are being rented by property managers and even private owners do not have signs out front...especially in nicer neighborhoods.

Understand that property managers are working with people who are ready to sign a lease and they are their biggest priority. If they take the time and search for and find a house that you are looking for, it may be rented by the time you get here and they will have invested unprofitable time. Probably the best thing to do is to come down and and call the PMs when you get here to see what they have. Are you planning on signing a lease when you come down in 2 weeks? If not, you'll face the same issue...whatever you see may not be available when you are ready to move.

When we came down to look for a rental, we did not have any appointments and just called or visited PM companies. One agency sat with us to determine what we were looking for and then gave us keys to 6 houses and told us to go look at them ourselves...noone went with us which we found kind of weird but it worked out well since we were able to look at their houses and work in a few others from another agency at the same time. If you want the name of the agency who gave us the keys and sent us out, PM me. Probably not a good idea to publish it on the forum.

Finally, if you are not ready to sign a lease and are just looking to see what you can get for your money, the best thing to do is just troll Craigslist or hotpads.com.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM

8 posts, read 25,672 times
DRMZTRU, we were in your same position a month ago (3 boys and all!) Lived in Ohio all our lives and were looking for a lifestyle change. I posted a few things on here, and always got the same responses from the Nay-sayers...don't come unless you have a job or a pocket full of money. well, we had neither, so we put off moving for almost a year. I have to say, we have never been happier! We packed up the uhaul and hit the road with no place to live and no jobs. We rented a vacation condo for a week (had the option for a second week, as we came before the "rush") As scary as it was, it all worked out! We had a place to live within the week, and had jobs within 2! No, they are not in our chosen field, but for now, it's ok. It's always easier to find a job when you have one! We had no problem finding a place we love! I did make MANY MANY phone calls only to have them not be returned, or basically laughed at on the phone. When we got to town, the first place we tried was Chicora, and the lady there basically laughed at us when I told her our situation. I walked out the door. Their customer service leaves much to be desired, and their prices are inflated anyways! We found a great rental co, that even had a newly vacant place cleaned and ready for us within 2 days! In our desired location. Anyways, it can and has been done by many (We have recently met a few other families that have done the same thing) Please feel free to message me with any questions you have, and I will try to help out, and give you the names of the property management co. we worked with!) Good luck!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks rjjns5 we will be coming down in a few days, but things are now looking to be put on hold for the year. I have used so much energy trying to do this since January that I'm worn out.. so this trip will be our tell all for at least 8 months. But Thank you so much for the positive comments does make things look a little more "warming" to say..still not giving into not making the move. I keep hearing that "jobs don't pay what they do in Ohio" but jobs don't pay much here either so.. depends on what your used to I guess!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,750,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmztru View Post
Thanks rjjns5 we will be coming down in a few days, but things are now looking to be put on hold for the year. I have used so much energy trying to do this since January that I'm worn out.. so this trip will be our tell all for at least 8 months. But Thank you so much for the positive comments does make things look a little more "warming" to say..still not giving into not making the move. I keep hearing that "jobs don't pay what they do in Ohio" but jobs don't pay much here either so.. depends on what your used to I guess!
We have a brand new Target on 544 looking for 200 people and there will be a Marshalls soon, also a Petsmart all in the 544 area of Socastee/Myrtle beach. So there will be retail jobs for sure.
I think there is always jobs in the medical field as well. When you make the move I am sure you will love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area