Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM

17 posts, read 33,812 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four that will be relocating to Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks for work reasons. We currently live in Florida and have decided to take our losses here and move near family in SC. The economy has far from picked up down here and after my small business (Moving Company) went broke I've decided its time to get out of this horrible heat and worse job market!. We will be staying with family for a few weeks until we secure a home rental (apartment preferably) and solid employment. What info i'm looking for is ...... Coming from NY we are Yankees lol but we've adjusted to southern living well living down here. And honestly would never move back to NY again! I know FL is'nt barely the south anymore lol but there still is plenty of southern influence in our county. How will we be perceived? Are employers bias?? Are locals inviting towards out of towners? How are the apartments? down here they seem to collect only knuckleheads sadly. And one BIG question how pro gun is MB? I myself am 100% pro gun and the amateur collector myself. Well I guess there are tons of other questions I could ask but these are the main things I need to know. .... Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
You've got nothing to worry about. Can't help you with the apartment issue, but in MB your probability is much higher of running into NY natives than SC natives. Similar to FL, the only thing Southern left in MB is the latitude. And the gun thing? We're big on 'em here. South Carolinians will give up our guns when they pry the bullets out of our cold, dead brains. Just be careful of the doctors here. We ain't big on schoolin'...

Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
What kind of work will you be looking for? I think that will be a much bigger problem than finding yourself a Yankee in a sea of Yankees or being pro-gun in a pro-gun state. Jobs in MB seem to be far and few between and low paying. Many people have to work 2-3 low end jobs to make ends meet, because full-time, good paying jobs in a beach town whose biggest industry is tourism are much harder to find than other native New Yorkers.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM

78 posts, read 136,316 times
Good luck with your move.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM

17 posts, read 33,812 times
Thanks. I've been looking into Columbia as well and have decided to go that route due to the economic conditions in Myrtle Beach. We do plan on visiting alot though! Thanks again and take care!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,592 times
Default Thinking its time to move out of SW Florida

We moved down to SW Florida 2005 (Ft.Myers Beach area) and I love the beach but we have a new granddaughter in Ohio, even though were not moving back to Ohio a 12 hour drive is doable...but were to move in "South Carolina" one thing I really miss is the arts. music good restaurants any suggestions ? both myself and hubby work at Retirement Community so jobs are a must

Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgogirl View Post
We moved down to SW Florida 2005 (Ft.Myers Beach area) and I love the beach but we have a new granddaughter in Ohio, even though were not moving back to Ohio a 12 hour drive is doable...but were to move in "South Carolina" one thing I really miss is the arts. music good restaurants any suggestions ? both myself and hubby work at Retirement Community so jobs are a must
If you want a beach area, move to Charleston. If you don't care about the beach, then also look into Columbia. They both have much better of everything you mentioned. They also have a better job market.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
If you want a beach area, move to Charleston. If you don't care about the beach, then also look into Columbia. They both have much better of everything you mentioned. They also have a better job market.
I agree about Charleston. Currently moved here from Greenville, SC (which is known as one of the most affordable places to live in SC and has tons of job opportunities). I lived in Myrtle Beach for college and it wasn't for me. I was so excited to move there in the beginning for it's beach and attractions, but tourist season ruined that for me. It never felt like home. Charleston has the real Southern charm, great beaches, and awesome career paths. I would also look at Greenville too. I personally think it's better than Columbia and has more to do. However, Myrtle Beach is probably the cheapest out of all these locations to live. But I think job opportunities lack in the area. But if MB is right for you, look at temp/staffing agencies. They always seem to be the route to go.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgogirl View Post
Oh and Greenville is very big with the arts. Plus you are a drive away from Asheville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Pigeon Forge, and even the beach to experience their culture. I would just make sure you weigh the pros and cons of each area to help you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area