Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 PM

16 posts, read 37,910 times

Advertisements

Hi there guys. It's me back again and yes I have relocated and I'm now a resident of Myrtle Beach, SC. {the crowd goes wild} Thank you thank you. All kidding aside I love it here, should have done this years and years ago.

The house I bought for $130k in my great and well kept community would have cost me $350k back in northern california. My $500 summer electric bill is down to $220. $300 for the rest of the utilities down to $100. Gas is down from $4.89 a gallon to $3.16. Entertainment is always a few miles away and I haven't been bored since I got here. The smiling happy faces and all of the above make me think maybe I died and just haven't figured it out yet. Kidding there too.

I only have one question HOW CAN YOU AFFORD TO EAT?!!!!!!

Seriously. What is going on that is causing the food to be so high out here? My monthly grocery bill is more than my mortgage, electricity and month of gas. It cost me about $250-300 in California to feed two people, out here almost $900. What gives? Is it the union thing or something politically motivated? It it just that the Grand Strand is beach towns dialed in to alleviate the mass weight of our tourists' wallets? What is it? Serious question.

Pack of turkey lunchmeat here 8.99 at Walmart. Out there at Walmart 2.89. Milk here 4.20 out there 2.89. Those are the two examples I grabbed this last trip to the supermarket. And I've found Walmart to be the cheapest out here as well. The other stores floored me.

Is there some big secret grocery place for the locals to shop at maybe?

Wil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 11:07 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,328,282 times
Unfortunately. with a myriad of events and situations affecting various costs, food prices are up.

Here are ideas to help get you what you need without losing money. First, you need to budget yourself how much to spend at a grocery store. Second, you need to plan your meals or make a grocery list. Get what you need on the list. Avoid temptation of buying things not on the list that you do not need. Third, study any savings program a supermarket has. Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Kroger, Lowe's Foods, and Piggly Wiggly have cards for saving. Publix, when it opens, does not.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 PM

Thanks CK,

But as I was asking, what are these myriad of events and situations that have caused it? Just interested.

Publix.... whats that one all about?

Wil

Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 PM

Myriad of events and situations include abnormally high fuel prices which affect transportation costs, inclement weather conditions like cold snaps and flooding, food category groups setting their industry prices, and supply and demand.

Publix does not have a loyalty card nor a savings program. It has "Advantage Buys," event pricing for items on sale from their actual retail price.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 AM

Interesting indeed. Looks like there is an ALDI in Florence and a Save-a-Lot in Orangeburg. Anybody have any experience with those stores?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 AM

I have not shopped at either chain. They operate as discount grocers for customers looking to buy in bulk without going to Costco or Sam's Club. I hope their products are high in quality when compared to other stores. I think they focus less on advertisement and focus more on quality products without the costs of advertisement.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Costco doesn't have a wide enough selection for me. As an example say, hamburger helper. They may have on or two items that their buyers have tried and "deemed best". Quality good yes, price better than most yes, but selection no.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM

In regards to selection, are you referring to not having enough brands of a specific product, or a one or two flavors of a specific brand?

Old 09-07-2014, 03:51 PM

810 posts, read 1,184,467 times
Funny that you wrote this because we moved down last week and when I went to Piggly Wiggly I couldn't believe the high prices. All I kept muttering throughout the store to my husband was that the prices were crazy high. My food bill is definately going to be higher. My food store of choice is Trader Joes and am very disappointed that there isn't one closer than 70 miles away. We won't be living down there till end of year and when we next come down in a couple of weeks I am bringing down a lot of non perishables from TJ's. But you noticed what I did....VERY high prices on food
**On the other hand, gas prices were .50 lower a gallon

Old 09-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,555,060 times
Granted, it is just my wife, our pug and myself and we don't buy a lot of high end food items at any location. In NJ I shop for groceries at Costco and ShopRite. In SC and FL it is mainly Costco and Walmart. I do notice certain items are higher in one location than the others (although nothing specific comes to mind). But for the most part, I believe we spend about the same amount on food and other groceries in each location.

Now gas and liquor (including beer and wine) is another story.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area