Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
J&R J&R started this thread

17 posts, read 49,213 times

Advertisements

About a year ago around this time my husband and I make a few trips to VA determined to relocate there from the hustle and bustle of NJ. A lot has happened since, (we LOVE VA), but the search continues for various reasons. Week after Memorial Day we're flying to Myrtle Beach then on to Effingham outside Florence for a look around. If we can find a decent rental for a year or so, we'll make the move and keep our house on the dodgy market here. Just can't see ourselves staying here another year, let alone a couple of months. NJ is no longer a place any middle-class family can live in, and the latest tax laws have not helped. I'd like to hear from anyone who lives in the general area (MB towards Conway, Florence) about your move there or what one can expect as a new arrival. We would love to be somewhere we could grow a decent veggie garden, and have a yard our dog could play in. Thanks for listening, have a lovey day!

J&R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times
I feel your pain and moved here from NJ because of the high taxes not to mention the weather. We did the same thing you are doing, chose several states, did our research and then narrowed it down. We chose this area because it had the lowest taxes of all the others we looked at, the house prices were low and it had the best weather. We don't have kids so the school system was not an issue and we work for ourselves so jobs were not an issue.

To answer your questions on what to expect, it's a lot different than NJ so you have to be open to a change. Some people move here thinking they will have all the same things they had in NJ but it's not the same. Both places have pros & cons just like anywhere. As you know North Jersey is very different than South Jersey so depending on where you're coming from would tell us just how different it would be here for you. I lived in Middlesex County and moved to Monmouth County and it was totally different.

We bought a house in Conway, not in a sub-division so the positives (IMO) are; mostly quiet, no HOA rules, lot's of space for planting gardens (which we did) and large area for our dogs. There is a nice downtown area that has gotten better snce I moved here with some nice shops and restaurants. It's close enough to the beach and touristy things but far away enough not to be in the middle of the craziness in the summer.

The negatives (IMO); W/o an HOA anything seems to go. We had neighbors shooting guns off their porch, it seems no one puts a leash on their dog or tags (so sad), and I've seen a lot of people park on their yards. I say all of this not complaining but it's just not what I was used to when I moved here. Now if you move into a sub-division there usually are rules so these things won't be a problem. Also, I Conway they don't have a lot of convienences that I was used to anyway but there are some restaurants and stores. There's not a whole lot of cultural things (as compared to NJ) so if that matters...but there are a lot of things to do, especially if you have grandkids come to visit. One thing I really wish they would put in Conway is a dog park because at least where I live, there's not a lot of area I can walk my dog.

I don't know exactly what you are looking for but the HOA fees are low here compared to NJ so I would move into one of them. Get a corner lot so you would have a larger space for the pups and your garden. Conway is a large town so I would look closer to one of the major hwys, then if you want to go out at night or go to the beach it will be that much closer. I've sold houses to several couples that retired to Conway and they all love it but it really depends on what you like to do.

Another thing to consider.... Pre-construction prices seem to be comparable with resale homes right now. I can't speak for other states but I just had two couples buy pre-construction and they were able to pick all their own colors, tile, cabinets, lot etc...plus you get builders warranties. One of them only paid $133,000 for a three bedroom house and it is really beautiful, the other added quite a few additions and chose a larger floor plan but still stayed under $200,000. Try to find that in NJ, LOL.

Good luck and if you have other questions, feel free to ask!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,548,409 times
I am a life long (up until now) NJ resident. Born in Woodbury. Grew up in Cherry Hill. Lived in Roselle Park, Lindenwald, Medford Lakes and, for the last 30 years, Brick. I am tired of NJ, but, in general, don't have a major problem with living there (if I still had to). Found a nice townhouse in Murrells Inlet SC last year and love the area. Plan to become a full time SC resident once our house in Brick is sold.

In our complex in Murrells Inlet (Park West) there are few South Carolinians. Most of our neighbors are from Ohio, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, etc. So it's not like we have to adjust much......

Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,531 times
Oh wow Rapture, you hit the nail on the head. Our new neighbors think parking on their lawn is a cool thing to do. They also leave all kinds of junk outside their house. They call themselves "rednecks", but I just call it sloppy and lazy. Wish they were the only neighbors that do it, but sadly, there's others. Unfortunately, they just moved in a month ago, and I don't see it getting any better. We couldn't possibly build a fence high enough so we can't see their house

Old 05-26-2010, 05:42 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I am a life long (up until now) NJ resident. Born in Woodbury. Grew up in Cherry Hill. Lived in Roselle Park, Lindenwald, Medford Lakes and, for the last 30 years, Brick. I am tired of NJ, but, in general, don't have a major problem with living there (if I still had to). Found a nice townhouse in Murrells Inlet SC last year and love the area. Plan to become a full time SC resident once our house in Brick is sold.

In our complex in Murrells Inlet (Park West) there are few South Carolinians. Most of our neighbors are from Ohio, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, etc. So it's not like we have to adjust much......
Murrells Inlet is a lot different than Conway where the OP is interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Oh wow Rapture, you hit the nail on the head. Our new neighbors think parking on their lawn is a cool thing to do. They also leave all kinds of junk outside their house. They call themselves "rednecks", but I just call it sloppy and lazy. Wish they were the only neighbors that do it, but sadly, there's others. Unfortunately, they just moved in a month ago, and I don't see it getting any better. We couldn't possibly build a fence high enough so we can't see their house
Sounds like you don't live in a sub-division either. I'm sorry to hear that. It stinks when you work so hard, buy a house, keep it nice and then other people don't have the same respect for themselves or others. I get a lot of people that move here and say they don't want to live in a neighborhood with rules but I tell them what is possible w/o those rules in place. They change their mind very quickly but of course I show them houses in both situations for them to decide. I had a townhouse in Edison I bought in the 80's and my monthly HOA was $225 and that didn't include anything except maintenance of common areas. You can get a house here with an HOA $30 a month and have a community pool, tennis court, clubhouse etc...If I could do it over I would move into an HOA neighborhood. I don't have a problem following rules like bringing my trash can in on time and pulling weeds which seems to be the things they pick on the most.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Quote:
In our complex in Murrells Inlet (Park West) there are few South Carolinians. Most of our neighbors are from Ohio, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, etc. So it's not like we have to adjust much...

"I can see the concrete slowly creepin',
Lord take me and mine before that comes" ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd

Old 05-26-2010, 07:17 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,548,409 times
Sorry about that. We did win the war........

Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Murrells Inlet is a lot different than Conway where the OP is interested in.

Sounds like you don't live in a sub-division either. I'm sorry to hear that. It stinks when you work so hard, buy a house, keep it nice and then other people don't have the same respect for themselves or others. I get a lot of people that move here and say they don't want to live in a neighborhood with rules but I tell them what is possible w/o those rules in place. They change their mind very quickly but of course I show them houses in both situations for them to decide. I had a townhouse in Edison I bought in the 80's and my monthly HOA was $225 and that didn't include anything except maintenance of common areas. You can get a house here with an HOA $30 a month and have a community pool, tennis court, clubhouse etc...If I could do it over I would move into an HOA neighborhood. I don't have a problem following rules like bringing my trash can in on time and pulling weeds which seems to be the things they pick on the most.
Actually, we DO live in a subdivision! For some reason the HOA hasn't gone into effect yet, so we have to live like this. I'm still trying to figure out how to NICELY ask them to not park like they are still living on their farm. Sadly, there's a police officer just a few houses away that lives far worse. Collects all kinds of junk and pushes it against the back of his house. Definitely can't figure THAT out Do people not realize that these things can become missiles if we have a hurricane or bad storm?!

When we all buy our houses we sign papers agreeing to rules...yet a select few think they don't need to follow them. It's a disgrace and it makes it horrible to live here.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry about that. We did win the war........
ssssh, that's our secret

I was totally fine living amongst the Northerners. Almost all of my neighbors are from NY, NJ, CT, PA, VT, MD, and one is from CA. They keep their houses neat, their lawns mowed, and trash out of their yard. In moves some "rednecks" (her description of her family, not mine), and it goes all to hell. I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only other slovenly house in the direct area is from another Southerner. Someone please explain this phenomenon to me....

(Don't get wrong, I've seen some REALLY gross areas of NY, but that was in the CITY!!)

Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Quote:
Sorry about that. We did win the war...
I know. We surrendered. So why do the invasions continue?!!?

You are about to embark on an exotic adventure. You're moving to God's Country. We hope that y'all would enthusiastically immerse yourself in the glories and wonders of Southernism. At least learn to speak the language. Instead, your best advice for other potential transplants is to wrap yourself up in a yankee enclave so that you don't need to adjust much? Sorry, IMO that's just wrong...

To be truthful, what you describe fits the vast majority of MB. Our development certainly matches that description. I got lost one time in Carolina Forest and couldn't understand a word anybody said. Most Southerners figured out a long time ago that MB is a great place to visit, happily returning to their own piece of paradise. I'm just a slow learner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area