Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,920,029 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post this warning to our young people who may be out looking for summer work. The job is listed on Craigslist for Myrtle Beach selling Italian Ice. The office is located in the Tanger Outlet

I want to warn people about this guy. He called and set and appointment up for a job interview for my sons. They paid $15 each way for a taxi to go to the interview. He asked their ages when he first called they told him 16 and 18 and then when the owner showed up for the interview he walks up to my younger son and said Oh I'm not hiring you your just 16. My son was so mad. This man knew his age before he set up the interview. When I called him on his unprofessional manner. His excuse was My Wife said I couldn't hire him. I asked why he didn't bother to call and let him know that he had changed his mind he's excuse was he was just to busy to bother with that. I wouldn't suggest anyone apply for his work if this is the way he conducts interviews I would be really scared of not getting paid from him. I know people look to take advantage of the summer workers at the beach but I hope that this will make people take a 2nd look at this business and not support it. What a sad way to operate a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM

245 posts, read 762,665 times
I am not sure what you are upset about....they had a job interview and were not hired.Seriously I dont get it.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:04 PM

What Im upset about is the man called. Spoke to them on the phone got all their information including ages and set up the interview. They arrived he walked stright up to my son and said I'm not hiring you because your 16 and my wife said I couldn't. IF the age was a problem then he should've mentioned it when he spoke to him on the phone. If his wife wouldn't let him hire him as he claims then he should've been professional enough to call him and say I'm sorry I changed my mind due to your age there was 6hrs between the phone call and the interview. He was told on the phone they were getting a taxi to come to the interview and if he had no plans at all on hiring someone that was 16 he should've said so up front. So when I called him and asked why he didn't bother to mention in the phone interview that age was a problem he said He didn't have time to bother with things like that and he went back to and my wife told me I couldn't. What type of professional company does a phone interview and gets full details sets up and interview and walks stright up to the person with no more information and says I'm not hiring you your 16? These are the type of places that scam teens because no one calls him out.
It isn't that he didn't get the job it is the fact that this creep didn't have the guts or professionalism to say up front that there was a problem. From what I have experienced in life if someone asks your age and then isn't interested for that fact they don't say Oh come on drive over for an interview and then when they walk out you say who you are and they go Oh Im not interested in you and walk away.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 57,212 times
I think that is terrible too, he could have been more courteous and let them know that age was a problem on the phone. Kids are very impressionable at that age and i commend those boys for persuing a summer job and the effort to get to the interview. You are doing a good job parents

Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 PM

They haven't given up they've just been there a week. 90% of the places told them to come back Tues or Wed so they're going back and then hitting more places. I told them not to give up hope because if all those foreign students can get jobs so can they. My oldest has been working since 16 in restaurants doing prep so he was hoping to land something in a restuarant but he also has retail experience. The younger might find it harder but surely someone down there will take a chance on him.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:00 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
employers make lots of mistakes.
on the other hand the reason for not hiring is rarely the true one.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:14 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,509,328 times
My question is why would the OP let her children give out personal information to a person over the phone that they have never met.
And even if the employer had told the 16 year old that he was too young ahead of time, wouldnt the taxi still have been $30 round trip?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM

My sons are in Myrtle beach to work. The personal information was their ages, not Social Security numbers,which really isn't private info. If the employer had of told the 16yr old on the phone he was to young then NO there would have been no cost because he wouldn't have went,duh.
He has contacted a few places that right fromt he start said sorry we don't hire that young and that was it no problem. Its the fact that this jerkwad told him yeah sure you sound like a great guy come on out and I will give you a try even though your 16. But when he got there he walked up to him and said Hey I'm not hiring you your 16,like he had no idea what was going on. Now you may ask HOW I know what was said during the phone call well I was on the phone via 3-way so I know exactly what was said.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM

882 posts, read 3,541,514 times
megensmom-
I recall your posting about looking for summer jobs a while back.. Hopefully your boys will be able to both find a summer job in the next week or two. I'm not sure what area they are staying in, and, by the sounds of things, they don't have a car to drive to/from place to place to fill out applications or do interviews. Hopefully that doesn't prevent them from getting to the right place at the right time.

If the 18yr old has restaurant experience, maybe he should try the many buffets around town or the chain type places. Another place they may want to check out is the Tanger Outlets on 501. They could apply at any or all of the many stores in the one complex without having to spend a ton of money on cab fare..

Best of luck in their finding something soon. I'm sure they will appreciate the hard earned money they will make..

Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes the older has restaurant experience in prep and was also a dishwasher and busperson. Most places told them last week to come back this week as that is when they start doing their hiring. Today they spent 4hrs on restaurant row and of course didn't cover it all so tomorrow they're heading back out. I know it will be harder for the younger but hopefully he can get something like a bus person or even fast food. They are not above doing anything legal or doing hard work and they aren't limiting themselves to this or that certain type of job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area