Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times

Advertisements

In my immediate neighborhood (the rectangle of Vanderbilt Beach, Livingston, Pine Ridge and Airport) there are several places to buy plants, including Lowes, Home Depot and the garden/produce centers. I'd like to get some plants for the back of my condo and want them not only healthy, but as cheap as possible.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Any of those joints will have decent plant material, imo...for common stuff, wait for a sale at HD or Lowes. For better specimens, look in the garden specific places, for info, for better varieties, etc.

I like HD/Lowes, but I really like The Wizard on Pine Ridge, for key varietals.

Imo, most of the species/varietals for sale, if they look good, and are planted well, all grow like a weed in the Naples Zone 10. Some species "sleep" the first season, esp. over "winter", but most then skip the usual northern "creep" for 2nd year, and go right to "leap" mode.

If one buys cheaper stuff at HD or Lowes, they do come with a sketchy "1 season/year guarantee", but you will need to keep receipt; the other point of buying cheaper stuff at HD or Lowes, is that if the plant dies, or you don't like it, or gets too big too soon, you can always replace it with something else. Stuff just grows in SW FL...

Hit the web and do some reading; I can post some very informative links on Zone 10 stuff, if you wish. Avoid the temptation to reproduce your "northern garden/plants", and try to avoid the non-native invasives, imo.
GL, mD

PS: we live in a house, and have very liberal HOA rules on planting things we like; the condos in our development have more strict HOA Docs. You might check your Docs first, or ask a Board member. Most turn their heads; some are like hall monitor nannies.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Not sure exactly what I want. Plant once. Watch it flower and spread. Nothing that needs to be trimmed. I guess this will require some learning and research. Again, suggestions on specific plants would be welcomed. Thanks......

Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 PM

340 posts, read 1,046,534 times
Crotons are my favorite

Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Try some of the nurseries on Airport-Pulling Rd, north of Pine Ridge Rd.
Also, the same type of nurseries are on Rt. 951, north of Pine Ridge. They will tell you more info about what will work than the people at Lowes & HD ever could.
Also, there's an excellent, but pricey nursery up Pine Ridge, make a left on 41 and right on your right is Driftwood Gardens. They will give you a multitude of info, the assortment is numerous without you having to walk around acres, and then you can go to HD or anywhere and buy.
They even have pond fish for sale or view. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there.

HD & Lowes aren't bad. They guarantee their stuff, and they buy from local nurseries. You'll see the nursery name on the plant tags. And those nurseries provide the labor to each store to bring in their products. But the workers from the nurseries at HD & Lowes often only speak spanish. So make sure you talk to a store employee if you need to talk to someone. If the plants look shabby, it's because the store has not maintained, ie; rotated, watered them. The plants don't come to the store that way.
If you're looking for a Christmas tree, that's probably going to be your best, cheapest bet. But note: there's a short window to get one - anywhere down here.
They usually start selling the day after Thanksgiving, and are sold out the 1st or 2nd week of December. It sounds rediculious with the heat and all, but that's how it is.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Have you visited any of these places yet? Find anything you liked? Lots of things are in season now, so it's a good time to go, rather than the dog-days of summer.
My next purchase will be firecracker plants, when the new Lowes opens by me on 12/17, or there about.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM

Nope. Not shopped for plants yet. They just mulched so the garden beds look a little better. Plant/shrub shopping is on my to-do list.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Petunias will bloom throughout the winter months.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Decent size/looking Crotons are on sale at Lowes for $2 a pot. I will go with a bunch of those for now......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples