Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,545,870 times

Advertisements

Without renting a boat, are there any shore accessable areas that might make for interesting snorkeling near Naples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Searching for "Snorkeling" and "Naples" I came up with a reef off of Wiggins Pass Beach (Area 2). I wonder how far off the surf line the reef is?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Can't help with this one. I've only ever snorkeled in the U.S. Virgin Is. Gorgeous!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Can't help with this one. I've only ever snorkeled in the U.S. Virgin Is. Gorgeous!

Me too (but not only). Sail boat snorkeling trip off St. John. I try to snorkel where ever and when ever possible.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
tmozer,
Very hard to find around here. I've done some in the mangroves, at high tide, at Delnor-Wiggins, but with caution as I couldn't get gators off my mind. One can wade in almost on any beach, kick out past the surf line, and see sand and occasional "stuff", but there is really no reef system within swimming distance that I know of.

Not Cousteau, but theCEO & I have ~ 500 dives each, so we tend to hit the Atlantic side or, several places in the Caribbean, for SCUBA, and the snorkel goes along on our masks, for a ride. ;>)

If you aren't Cert'd, you might look into SCUBA lessons: fun, easy, though like driver's license, one is really a rookie, until about ~50 dives, imo.

For a fabulous snorkel experience, I would rec'd snorkeling with the manatees, though it's a couple hours north. I have dived with this outfit several times and rec'd them, though the "with the manatees" part is snorkel only, and I think I recall them being able to accommodate non-divers.
Snorkel Manatee Tours here in crystal river

And, on the east coast of course, Pennekamp Park has some guided/self-guided snorkel tours; we have dived there several times, but it is getting a little ragged, and the high water temps and pollution have taken their toll on the coral, and thus the reef life. It isn't next door, either, as it's a good "hour" south of MIA.
Welcome to Florida State Parks

My 50cts...
GL, mD

Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM

256 posts, read 745,758 times
From the Naples Daily News archives.

Please don't disturb anything if you go out there. It's a very fragile ecology still in it's infancy.

Discovery of coral reefs off Collier shores sparks debate » Naples Daily News

Beth

Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Mone` View Post
From the Naples Daily News archives.

Please don't disturb anything if you go out there. It's a very fragile ecology still in it's infancy.

Discovery of coral reefs off Collier shores sparks debate » Naples Daily News

Beth

Now this would seem to be a different reef (a good 4 or 5 miles South of the Higgins Pass reef).

I walked from Clam Pass Beach Park to Doctor's Inlet and back this morning. Must have seen twenty different stingrays in the surf. Maybe instead of carrying my camera I'll start taking flippers and a mask on my beach walks......

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM

Clam Pass to Doctors Pass is known for turning an occasional Spanish coin, especially after a storm.

If the waters clear, try snorkeling right in Clam pass and look under the embankment along the side.

Just in case no one told you, if you're wading with the rays, shuffle your feet and let them know you're coming. That way you won't step on one.

Beth

Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM

Where is the best place to enter (Clam Pass)? Off the parking lot where the boat ramp is? Are you talking about the embankment along the mangroves?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Clam pass is by the Naples Grande. That's at Seagate and the Gulf. You take a tram to the beach from there and walk North and yes right along the mangroves in the current in the pass. It digs out a little bit and fish hang under the edge. You can get very close to them.

Beth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples