Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I guess I am another one who would not choose Naples. Nothing special about Naples, just another fabricated facade so commonly found in Florida.
You can find the same exact thing in Weston, minus the illegals. No beach, but oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:29 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevsky31 View Post
Some of these replies are to funny to read. Have any of you people that think Naples is flooded with illegals live anywhere else in America? Open your eyes. This whole damn country is filled with Mexicans and Cubans that have mysteriously appeared without a plane ticket.

I have a second home in pelican bay, and quite frankly we had a lot of choices of where to buy in Florida. The face of the matter is those here who bitc.h about Naples probably can't afford it anymore, and it's too bad that they take it out on the city. You are the same asses that made 150% return on your homes in 10 years if you were smart, but still complain about the city.

Naples proper as well as north Naples are both some of the most beautiful places in all of America. No where else will you find such clean streets, sidewalks, and beaches. The people are some of the friendliest around. And don't complain about us snowbirds, because if it wasn't for our money, your houses would never increase in value. Nor would you have many jobs in the service sector as well.

I'm sick of folks bashing Naples as some immigrant laden town. Don't believe their BS and go down to a city of paradise and see for yourself what it's like.
Ah, yes. And here's one of the MANY friendly snowbirds.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 PM

17 posts, read 60,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevsky31 View Post
Some of these replies are to funny to read. Have any of you people that think Naples is flooded with illegals live anywhere else in America? Open your eyes. This whole damn country is filled with Mexicans and Cubans that have mysteriously appeared without a plane ticket.

I have a second home in pelican bay, and quite frankly we had a lot of choices of where to buy in Florida. The face of the matter is those here who bitc.h about Naples probably can't afford it anymore, and it's too bad that they take it out on the city. You are the same asses that made 150% return on your homes in 10 years if you were smart, but still complain about the city.

Naples proper as well as north Naples are both some of the most beautiful places in all of America. No where else will you find such clean streets, sidewalks, and beaches. The people are some of the friendliest around. And don't complain about us snowbirds, because if it wasn't for our money, your houses would never increase in value. Nor would you have many jobs in the service sector as well.

I'm sick of folks bashing Naples as some immigrant laden town. Don't believe their BS and go down to a city of paradise and see for yourself what it's like.
Ok, I just found this thread and I am really disturbed by this post. For anyone who does not know Pelican Bay is for the rich and the fact that you do have a second home speaks for itself. Just as other posters have stated, Naples is now for the haves and the have nots. There is no room in the middle. The have nots can live here collecting welfare, foodstamps and live 3 families per household. This would be the hispanics, illegal or not. Simple fact.

I have lived in Naples for over 30 years and the change is night and day. I have lived in my home for over 15 years in the estates. We chose this area because we liked the country and the quiet at the time.
It is no longer like that. mexicans moved in next to us and the quiet is gone. They drink tons of beer, spy on me and my dh and my children when we are outside. The are loud all the time. People come and go consistantly. They have adopted farm animals that make noise day and night. My kids can not play outside because I do not want them gaucked at. This is to just name a few. We have called the police, but quess what? They do nothing because big mouth momma next door plays the racial card. I have never ever said anything racial or impliyed ever. I have many friends who are hispanic. The fact is that naples has been taked over by the hispanic community. It is everywhere you go. I am not takinging about the well educated living a decent life. I am talking about the uneducated will not bother to speak english, and have 5 or more children type.
Like I said, I am not racial even though it may sound like that. What I am sicked by what has come to naples weither it is white, black, hispanic, green or purple. The fact is I can no longer enjoy my home. So at some point I will be another one of those who has left good ole Naples.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM

120 posts, read 170,427 times
I love how people say Naples is over-run with illegals and hispanics. Like Broward county doesn't have a ton of illegals. And Boca is a wealthy area just like Naples. Shevsky31 (while a bit harsh) is right. If Naples was so bad, why do so many people that have the money, choose to spend it there? They have their pick of any city in Florida, yet they pick Naples. Naples is a VERY BEAUTIFUL area. If you can't at least admit that, then your opinion shouldn't even be taken seriously. I vote Naples because it is more laid back, has nicer beaches (IMO), and has the better tennis school.

P.S.- I'm getting sick of people bashing SW FL. If it so bad, how come we continue to lead the state in growth year after year?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
Like Broward county doesn't have a ton of illegals.
It doesn't. Spend some time here. The illegals that are here come are non Hispanic and from the islands anyway. For a county of 1.8 mil, the only area I have noticed with a high illegal alien presence are a couple of tiny pockets of Pompano and Lauderhill. People here have their papers.

I have no problem with Hispanics(I actually love their culture and study the various cultures of Latin America, I also hate the word "hispanic"), but I always noticed the presence of illegal aliens in Naples and the despair between the east areas (Golden Gate, etc) and the wealthy west areas (City of Naples, Pelican Bay, etc).

Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
It doesn't. Spend some time here. The illegals that are here come from the islands anyway.

I have no problem with Hispanics(I actually love their culture), but I always noticed the presence of illegal aliens in Naples and the despair between the east areas (Golden Gate, etc) and the wealthy west areas (City of Naples, Pelican Bay, etc).
First let me say, that "illegal" was a bad choice of words. I should instead say Hispanic.

I have been to Broward many times. What is the difference between illegals from the islands and illegals from the mainland anyway? Why does FLL airport have more direct service to Latin America than any other airport in Florida (besides Miami)? I will tell you why, because Dade and Broward counties have the highest concentration of Hispanics anywhere in Florida. It is a fact.

I am not racist either. I only post this because everyone seems to be deterring the OP from Naples due to the large hispanic population Naples seems to have.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
First let me say, that "illegal" was a bad choice of words. I should instead say Hispanic.

I have been to Broward many times. What is the difference between illegals from the islands and illegals from the mainland anyway? Why does FLL airport have more direct service to Latin America than any other airport in Florida (besides Miami)? I will tell you why, because Dade and Broward counties have the highest concentration of Hispanics anywhere in Florida. It is a fact.

I am not racist either. I only post this because everyone seems to be deterring the OP from Naples due to the large hispanic population Naples seems to have.
Well, for one, the only areas with the illegal alien presence were the tiny aforementioned areas. Not very many for such a huge county.

For another, i'm going to rank selected counties in Florida in order by most/least Hispanic as of 2005 census.
Miami-Dade County- 61.1 %
Collier County-24.0 %
Orange County (Orlando)- 23.5 %
Broward County- 22.1 %
Hillsborough County(Tampa)-21.4 %

If I were to rank the top 10 counties with highest percentage in the state regardless of size of population, Broward would not even make the list.

For one more thing, my city is the most Hispanic city in Broward County, at 40.9 % percent of the population. It's also one of the wealthiest.

Weston
Median household income-83,313
Percentage of population with a Bachelors Degree of higher- 58.9 %

Broward hispanics tend to be wealthy educated professionals moving from Miami-Dade. Collier has a huge despair between its poor Mexicans and wealthy non hispanics.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:04 PM

17 posts, read 60,432 times
Quote:
I love how people say Naples is over-run with illegals and hispanics. Like Broward county doesn't have a ton of illegals. And Boca is a wealthy area just like Naples. Shevsky31 (while a bit harsh) is right. If Naples was so bad, why do so many people that have the money, choose to spend it there? They have their pick of any city in Florida, yet they pick Naples. Naples is a VERY BEAUTIFUL area. If you can't at least admit that, then your opinion shouldn't even be taken seriously. I vote Naples because it is more laid back, has nicer beaches (IMO), and has the better tennis school.

P.S.- I'm getting sick of people bashing SW FL. If it so bad, how come we continue to lead the state in growth year after year?
Naples is a very beautiful area with beautiful beaches. It has also changed overall though. With all the expanding roads, now a very lovely (cough)
overpass, The high rise office buildings. Yep, Naples is a peach.
Sure all towns change. It is not the town I moved to 30 years ago, and wanted to move to. You want it you can have it.

As far as money people here and choosing to spend it here. If Naples continues on the path it is on, this will change. As far as growth, well don't believe everything you read. I know plenty of people who have been laid off their construction jobs they have had for years. Why? Because there is no work. Anything you see now is all old permitting. Nothing new. I know this because I live in the real world of Naples. Not the, "I live in Pelican Bay", come here for 6 months out of the year and go to the "tennis school". Give me a break!

You are sick of Naples bashing. Well I am sick of Naples. I have lived here and have put up with enough bull long enough to have the right to bash it. Period!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Well, for one, the only areas with the illegal alien presence were the tiny aforementioned areas. Not very many for such a huge county.

For another, i'm going to rank selected counties in Florida in order by most/least Hispanic as of 2005 census. It's not a fact.
Miami-Dade County- 61.1 %
Collier County-24.0 %
Orange County (Orlando)- 23.5 %
Broward County- 22.1 %
Hillsborough County(Tampa)-21.4 %

If I were to rank the top 10 counties with highest percentage in the state regardless of size of population, Broward would not even make the list.

For one more thing, my city is the most Hispanic city in Broward County, at 40.9 % percent of the population. It's also one of the wealthiest.

Weston
Median household income-83,313
Percentage of population with a Bachelors Degree of higher- 58.9 %

Broward hispanics tend to be wealthy educated professionals moving from Miami-Dade.
Yes, but as you mentioned earlier, many Broward immigrants are islander. So if you take the Hispanic population and add the islander population to it, I'm sure Broward ultimatley has more immigrants than Collier. Collier has almost no islander population outside the ones that come in to work at the resorts. I really don't care what county has more immigrants. I am just saying that the OP isn't going to escape immigrants by choosing Boca over Naples.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, but as you mentioned earlier, many Broward immigrants are islander. So if you take the Hispanic population and add the islander population to it, I'm sure Broward ultimatley has more immigrants than Collier. Collier has almost no islander population outside the ones that come in to work at the resorts. I really don't care what county has more immigrants. I am just saying that the OP isn't going to escape immigrants by choosing Boca over Naples.
True, but we still don't have many illegals. The people coming from the islands tend to have their papers. Also Boca and Parkland are over 75 percent white non hispanic. Collier is probably over 30 percent hispanic if you count the illegals. Browards demographic wouldn't change that much if you counted illegals, because there aren't many. PBC is full of them, though...

I understand the point you were trying to prove though. The fact of the matter is,LEGAL immigration is actually good, because it keeps our economy moving and brings something new to the table. It's also ANYWHERE in the U.S.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples