Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 PM

162 posts, read 302,139 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

Thought I'd poke the forum and see if anyone is a Marco Island native/expert. Specifically, on the many oceanfront condo's available. After vacationing here for the better part of 3 years now, my wife and I have decided to purchase a beach "shack" in the sky. We're thinking a 1 bedroom (no studio) oceanfront condominium in a non-condo/hotel/timeshare building. Our hope is to have a final price that is sub-$300k with reasonable HOA. A few questions:

1) Can it be done? Public records of Collier show that there are units selling in oceanfront buildings (with ocean views) sub-$300k. How bad is fraud though in Collier county public records/mls? In our area (Broward & Miami Dade) its rampant...you cant trust what the public records list as selling price because everything happens off the contract.

2) What buildings would you recommend for view, value, features. We're looking for a friendly building with no major special assessments on the radar. Definitely would like to settle on a sales price closer to $200k than $300k. Small, sub 800 sq. feet units are ok as long as the view can compensate.

3) Which buildings would you absolutely avoid? Bad construction, toxic boards, battles with management or contractors, depleted/non-existent reserves and massive fraud/delinquency by so called owners. Being in S. Florida already...just dont need the headache.

I know its a long shot, but I thought I'd ask this board since a realtor is a salesperson, and whats the old adage about how to tell if a salesman is lying? (yeah, their lips move).

Looking forward to a deep and productive discussion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,678 times
[color=purple]Hi, Not sure how many answer you have received. We were in the same situation a few years ago. Being in Canada made it a bit harder to find someone to do the leg work for us before arriving to look at a limited of condos in out price range. We found the greatest real estate company/agent - For Marco Island, FL homes for sale, Naples, FL real estate, and Chicago, IL realtors, go to the expert: We told Ralph what we had in mind, our price range, type of condo, like ones with no weekly rentals etc. Got a great unit, we prefer the island view for the morning sun, most units if not used by owners are seasonal rentals, we decided on Sunset House on Seaview Court. Unit was turn key, bought, moved in, less than a month. Best part is Ralph's wife has her own company through the office so you can do a complete purchase without trying to find a lawyer etc.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-24-2011 at 03:36 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I moved away five years ago so I'm not sure how much help I can be but I'll try.

SouthSeas *my guess* will be one of the more reasonably priced. That said, it's also one of the oldest. I remember it from when I was little in probably the late 70s. Then again, it's Marco and people tend to keep things maintained so it may not be that bad. I think the Sandpiper was another one that was put in about that time as well. Many were built back then off Seaview Ct which runs off Collier Blvd, the main road on the island. The newer ones (at least before I moved they were) were off of South Collier Blvd past Winterberry Dr down where the old clam factory used to be when my mom was growing up there.

This link has a list of each property defined by whether they're right on the water, walking distance to the water, etc.

Marco Island Condos For Sale, Condominiums SW Florida

If you decide to get a condo, find a good realtor and a really good attorney. My mother worked for MANY years for a GREAT real estate attorney on the island. I don't think I'm allowed to post his name, but if you'd like it message me and I'll be happy to put you in touch with him. He's one of the original attorneys on that island so he knows everyone.

Also, if you're not married to Marco, check out Isle of Capri. Back when I was there the condos on Capri were significantly less and there were also some that were beach front. If you go out that way check out the Capri Fish House. Used to be a restaurant just as you got into Capri called O'Sheas. It was the 'fancy schmancy' restaurant back in the day. Last time I was out there a big condo stood where it used to be. Don't know if they kept it and put it in the condo or what. But check the condos there off the end of W Pelican St and at Dolphin Cir.

When my Gram was growing up on Marco there was no school there (many years before Tommie Barfield was built) and the kids in her family had to get in a row boat and row across where there current bridge stands between Marco and Goodland. My family goes back five generations on that island, but we've all moved now. I do miss the way it was when I was little. Marriott and South Seas were a couple of the few buildings on the beach. Aside from them you could drive your car right out to the water, let the dogs out to run through the cattails, swim to the sand bars. Was a fantastic child hood!

ETA: Check the old Marco area near the Snook Inn. My parents went back and forth from there and NC after selling their house and retiring about 8 years ago or so. They rented a little condo down there on the water. Was in the Royal Palm Dr area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples