Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:35 PM

43 posts, read 398,840 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your opinions. I didn't realize that these apartments were in the "ghetto" and unsafe. My safety is first and foremost the main priority. Looking at the prices of these apartments that were suggested is crazy. They look beautiful, but the price is too much. I don't know if I can even afford to live in Naples. Maybe this was just too much.

Sweetbottoms: Thanks so much for asking your husband. Appreciate it. The Oasis look very nice. If I moved there, I would most likely have to get a 1 bedroom/1 bath to keep it in my price range. But to clarify they are in a safe location?
Amberton looks BEAUTIFUL and I wish I could afford it, but that isn't going to happen, yet anyway. If you can ask your husband some more safe and good places that would be great! Pastry chef sounds like a really fabulous job!

Motordavid: Good advice I will check out from private condos. Any suggestions?

RMD: If your daughter is around my age and says there is a lot to do then that makes me happy. My biggest concern is safety. I don't want to be in a bad area. Do you have any suggestions on places that are safe and good?

Cleopatra: I bet Seattle will be right up your alley. Good luck! I did take your advice and started looking on Craigslist. It's hard because I don't know where any of these places are and where I will be working yet. Any suggestions on any places you can think of?

What is Ross? I have never heard of it! We don't have one in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
I mention amberton because the 950 includes cable and water .. Oasis doesn't include those so between rent cable and water you'll be paying 950 anyways plus electric and whatever else u have ,p. Most places don't come utilities included here.

You can check La Costa , Fairway Preserve I'm not sure in prices tho but they're good .

Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily3021 View Post
Thank you all for your opinions.

...Motordavid: Good advice I will check out from private condos. Any suggestions?

There are literally hundreds/thousands? of condos for rent/lease in 'Naples'; certainly many of them in 'North Naples'. My pitch is that a condo is in a neighborhood that isn't an 'apartment' situ.

Yes, the local pop. may be older, but most condo assoc. have a pool, work out room, walkable areas, a clubhouse, etc. Just an idea vs some 'apartment', as in this ain't NYC, or the local college campus.

No suggestions as to 'where', as there are 4 or 5 dozen 'communities' in 'north Naples' I can mentally list, but can't recite the availability, and that isn't my interest or skill(s). I would PM/DM to RMD, as I suspect she has a clue and listings of condo rentals, or can point you toward that info.

And, if you can cop the job, go for it, imo! I taught Freshman Comp as a TA back in the U, and taught English in a ghetto HS in Detroit for a year, way back when, circa '70. Those experiences were enough for me, but I sympathize, and can still slightly empathize , with good teachers, and young teachers full of P & V. So, give it a try.
GL, mD

Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
There are literally hundreds/thousands? of condos for rent/lease in 'Naples'; certainly many of them in 'North Naples'. My pitch is that a condo is in a neighborhood that isn't an 'apartment' situ.

Yes, the local pop. may be older, but most condo assoc. have a pool, work out room, walkable areas, a clubhouse, etc. Just an idea vs some 'apartment', as in this ain't NYC, or the local college campus.

No suggestions as to 'where', as there are 4 or 5 dozen 'communities' in 'north Naples' I can mentally list, but can't recite the availability, and that isn't my interest or skill(s). I would PM/DM to RMD, as I suspect she has a clue and listings of condo rentals, or can point you toward that info.

And, if you can cop the job, go for it, imo! I taught Freshman Comp as a TA back in the U, and taught English in a ghetto HS in Detroit for a year, way back when, circa '70. Those experiences were enough for me, but I sympathize, and can still slightly empathize , with good teachers, and young teachers full of P & V. So, give it a try.
GL, mD
The only problem is price ugh! I'm currently looking for a place as my lease is up and I'm kind of keeping my options open and I'm find it extremely hard to get a place thats nice and decent and my budget is $1,200 a month! It'll be easier to find a 1 bedroom I think I'm factoring in a kid and dogs lol. That is the downside is the prices, but you get what you pay for I suppose and we do live in a pretty nice place

Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your opinions. I didn't realize that these apartments were in the "ghetto" and unsafe. My safety is first and foremost the main priority. Looking at the prices of these apartments that were suggested is crazy. They look beautiful, but the price is too much. I don't know if I can even afford to live in Naples. Maybe this was just too much.

What is Ross? I have never heard of it! We don't have one in New York.
The real estate prices are why many people live in Lee Conuty and commute to Naples.

Ross is like aTJMaxx. I think they buy closeouts, older styles etc from the major clothing manufacturers. That is my amateur opinion of them I hate clothes shopping and avoid it like the plague.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
I haven't lived in an apartment in Naples in over 20 years. What I can say is that the downsides already described are definitely an issue. I will never live in an apartment again, unless the choice is a cardboard box under an overpass, and even then it would be a difficult choice.

I'd definitely put some effort into finding a condo for rent. There has to be a ton of them around!

If you must go the apartment complex route:

Avoid Section 8 (low income) housing like the plague. Even complexes that appear nice usually have a percentage of low income housing mixed in. IIRC, they get some kind of tax break for having it.

We lived in one of those in '91-92, and it was a nightmare. Beautiful new development too. Cops were always there and one of the major Naples drug dealers lived in the next building, paying less than half the rent that we were for a larger apartment. Lots of noise at all hours etc, and I worried about my wife leaving and coming home alone when I was away at work. My truck got keyed because I parked in someone's space (there weren't any assigned spaces). We were so glad when our lease was up!

Make sure you get a top floor apartment. It makes moving in and out a chore, but makes your tenure there much more bearable. Apartment life is noisy enough. If you get other than the top floor, you're almost guaranteed to end up with neighbors that have opposite sleep schedules, or just never sleep. In either case, this means you'll never sleep either, as you listen to the herd of elephants upstairs at all hours. My first apartment in Naples taught me this lesson. In spades.

Live pretty close to where you work, if possible. The traffic here is maddening, mainly because very few people even try to drive properly. This goes for FL in general. I've never come so close to accidents on a daily basis because of other people's complete lack of situational awareness and courtesy. People here truly drive like they're the only car on the road.

As for the rest.... I moved here when I was 22 (in '87) for a job. My social life revolved around fishing and shooting, and little else. The social scene for a 22 year old was non existant, which was fine in my case, since I was already engaged. It seems a little better now, although my 2 teenagers are always looking for stuff to do.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM

Default Amberton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I mention amberton because the 950 includes cable and water .. Oasis doesn't include those so between rent cable and water you'll be paying 950 anyways plus electric and whatever else u have ,p. Most places don't come utilities included here.

You can check La Costa , Fairway Preserve I'm not sure in prices tho but they're good .
Sweetbottoms: Amberton looks so nice! I really love it. I would love to live there. It is in a good location? What is it close to? Close to North Naples and Mercato? How much do utilities usually run? What about heat? Not that you would need it, but just asking. Have you ever seen them up close and inside? Do they have a pool?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
I haven't lived in an apartment in Naples in over 20 years. What I can say is that the downsides already described are definitely an issue. I will never live in an apartment again, unless the choice is a cardboard box under an overpass, and even then it would be a difficult choice.

I'd definitely put some effort into finding a condo for rent. There has to be a ton of them around!

If you must go the apartment complex route:

Avoid Section 8 (low income) housing like the plague. Even complexes that appear nice usually have a percentage of low income housing mixed in. IIRC, they get some kind of tax break for having it.

We lived in one of those in '91-92, and it was a nightmare. Beautiful new development too. Cops were always there and one of the major Naples drug dealers lived in the next building, paying less than half the rent that we were for a larger apartment. Lots of noise at all hours etc, and I worried about my wife leaving and coming home alone when I was away at work. My truck got keyed because I parked in someone's space (there weren't any assigned spaces). We were so glad when our lease was up!

Make sure you get a top floor apartment. It makes moving in and out a chore, but makes your tenure there much more bearable. Apartment life is noisy enough. If you get other than the top floor, you're almost guaranteed to end up with neighbors that have opposite sleep schedules, or just never sleep. In either case, this means you'll never sleep either, as you listen to the herd of elephants upstairs at all hours. My first apartment in Naples taught me this lesson. In spades.

Live pretty close to where you work, if possible. The traffic here is maddening, mainly because very few people even try to drive properly. This goes for FL in general. I've never come so close to accidents on a daily basis because of other people's complete lack of situational awareness and courtesy. People here truly drive like they're the only car on the road.

As for the rest.... I moved here when I was 22 (in '87) for a job. My social life revolved around fishing and shooting, and little else. The social scene for a 22 year old was non existant, which was fine in my case, since I was already engaged. It seems a little better now, although my 2 teenagers are always looking for stuff to do.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Motordavid and tripower: This is a lot of good advice. The apartment situation makes me nervous. I don't want to be in a place that is LOUD, and in section 8. Safety is my main concern. Any good townhouses?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Motordavid and tripower: This is a lot of good advice. The apartment situation makes me nervous. I don't want to be in a place that is LOUD, and in section 8. Safety is my main concern. Any good townhouses?
I glanced through the 'condos for rent' section in Sunday's Naples Daily News: there were a couple of full columns of condo listings, with some in the less than $1000 a month category, though I didn't take 'notes'...

Naples Daily News is also on line, but mostly news stories with a slim RE section, on line.

I don't know what else to rec'd, other than trying to hook up with a RE agent that handles condo rentals, or...

As for what specific 'community(s)', I have no clue, other than to reiterate that nearly every community in the Naples area, gate or non-gated, golf or non-golf, that is not 'top of the line/very exclusive', has condos for rent/lease.

You are young and smart and, Internet savvy: do some hunting.
Here is a 2 second look via Yahoo, 'condos for rent, Naples FL'
Condos for rent Naples, FL - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,791 times
I have vacationed in FL for over ten years in the N. Fort Myers area where my in-laws live. I love the warmth and sunshine and it is a nice change of place from NYS. I visited North Naples just 2 weeks ago and loved it. I've been to Naples before but this time we took my son to the new children's museum which we loved. I was so amazed at the amount of kids there! We have nothing like that in my area of NY. I never ever before wanted to move to southern Florida. I always felt I could never live in a hot & humid climate but as I get older the winters seem to drag on and you are never able to get around or do things in the cold climate. I could see myself eventually moving down and being able to be more active year round. I was really impressed with the area in North Naples and our drive on Livingston (a road that parallels I75) was really pretty and not much traffic at all in March.
Good luck with your job search and move! You're young and will enjoy the warmth FL has to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples