Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM

140 posts, read 288,334 times

Advertisements

Malathion and Baytex are not safe, It is terrible that organic vegetables can't be grown in the Golden Gate area of Naples. Many peoople choose to live in Golden Gate because they have small children and animals and enjoy the outdoors. Spraying is frowned upon in New England. Bayer and other pesticide manufacturers aren't entirely forthright with their testing. I work in a plant nursery in Massachusetts and it is the June returning Floridians that come in and want to plaster their lawns with herbicides and pesticides and could care less that it enters the food chain, especially impacting the invertebrates in the bay. I never thought about how horrible it must be to live in Naples with monster- disease carrying mosquitoes dive bombing everyone 12 months a year. So sorry- would love to move to Naples and support your effort.
Is there anyway around this?
What about using CO mosquito traps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM

269 posts, read 667,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capenewfs View Post
Malathion and Baytex are not safe, It is terrible that organic vegetables can't be grown in the Golden Gate area of Naples. Many peoople choose to live in Golden Gate because they have small children and animals and enjoy the outdoors. Spraying is frowned upon in New England. Bayer and other pesticide manufacturers aren't entirely forthright with their testing. I work in a plant nursery in Massachusetts and it is the June returning Floridians that come in and want to plaster their lawns with herbicides and pesticides and could care less that it enters the food chain, especially impacting the invertebrates in the bay. I never thought about how horrible it must be to live in Naples with monster- disease carrying mosquitoes dive bombing everyone 12 months a year. So sorry- would love to move to Naples and support your effort.
Is there anyway around this?
What about using CO mosquito traps?
Great feedback - Does anyone know if there is any area of FL that does not spray to some degree for mosquitoes? I may post this on the main FL page. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 PM

140 posts, read 288,334 times
Great question, we also would like to find an area that cares about the environment. Some HOA's make a big deal about what can be planted, but they don't seem to mind that they are plastered with herbicides and pesticides. Every insect that survives the aerial apllications does so because they have a genetic advantage and breed the stronger traits into the new generation. What gives in Florida? Worried about crops, ground water. Yikes. Will start looking to see if any area in Florida gives a hoot

Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM

146 posts, read 335,749 times
Don't be naive. I used to work for someone who flew the planes. Diabrome will strip the paint off your car. It's poison. The only option is to detox your liver regularly. Poison is everywhere. If you take your kid to the park and he/she plays in the grass, he's rolling in poison.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellight27 View Post
Don't be naive. I used to work for someone who flew the planes. Diabrome will strip the paint off your car. It's poison. The only option is to detox your liver regularly. Poison is everywhere. If you take your kid to the park and he/she plays in the grass, he's rolling in poison.
Yeah the "fogging" spray gave me horrible headaches when I was in FL. It is too bad almost no one asks questions about it.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capenewfs View Post
Great question, we also would like to find an area that cares about the environment. Some HOA's make a big deal about what can be planted, but they don't seem to mind that they are plastered with herbicides and pesticides. Every insect that survives the aerial apllications does so because they have a genetic advantage and breed the stronger traits into the new generation. What gives in Florida? Worried about crops, ground water. Yikes. Will start looking to see if any area in Florida gives a hoot
Yeah it is disturbing. I posted on the main FL page to try to get more viability. Thanks.

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...o-control.html

Old 10-25-2014, 04:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,617 times
I am very irritated by this spraying. It is very obvious to me that dragonflies around my house are able to eat most of the mosquitoes when dragonfly population goes up. After spraying they are killed along with the mosquitoes and their recovery is much slower so the actual result of spraying is a subsequent boom in mosquitoes slowly followed by a dragonfly recovery. Here is what dragonflies eat: http://www.dragonfly-site.com/what-d...flies-eat.html It's time to think about a plan that more naturally controls mosquitoes and let nature take part because when dragonflies are numerous at my house in GGE the mosquitoes are few.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfree View Post
I am very irritated by this spraying. It is very obvious to me that dragonflies around my house are able to eat most of the mosquitoes when dragonfly population goes up. After spraying they are killed along with the mosquitoes and their recovery is much slower so the actual result of spraying is a subsequent boom in mosquitoes slowly followed by a dragonfly recovery. Here is what dragonflies eat: http://www.dragonfly-site.com/what-d...flies-eat.html It's time to think about a plan that more naturally controls mosquitoes and let nature take part because when dragonflies are numerous at my house in GGE the mosquitoes are few.
If what you say is true, and there was a satisfactory natural control of the mosquitoes, doesn't it stand to reason that there never would have been a need/desire to start spraying in the first place?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:58 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,091,532 times
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Naples, heck, the entire southern half of the state, would be uninhabitable for most of the year if they didn't spray for mosquitoes.

If you don't believe me, spend some time at night or in the shade out in the remote "estates" in the summertime, and get back to me.

Back in the '80's, my friend's dad had a place in Everglades City. We'd go down there to fish all the time. They didn't do aerial spraying, just used a fog truck that drove around in the evening. From dusk till dawn, you couldn't make it from the car to the house without a dozen bites on you. It was like a horror movie.

We'd damn near bathe in bug spray, and still have mosquito bites on top of mosquito bites when fishing at night.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 7,295 times
Default Safe organic insect repeller that works so well

Hi, I am definitely against being exposed to poisonous pesticides against my will. This is definitely not the only way to prevent mosquitoes. Just spraying some EcoSmart Organic Insect Repellent on me works wonders at preventing mosquitoes. Spraying pesticides is definitely not fair to people like me who pay twice as much for organic food without pesticides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples