Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,103 times

Advertisements

TripTower writes,

"Naples, heck, the entire southern half of the state, would be uninhabitable for most of the year if they didn't spray for mosquitoes."

Actually, the spraying doesn't work. David Pimentel, an entomologist from Cornell University has studied these fogging programs around the country. He calls them "worthless." They only breed more resistant mosquitos.

There are plenty of places in Florida that do not spray and people actually live there without being carried away with mosquitos. Okeechobee is booming, and there is no mosquito adulticiding program. Alachua County has no program, just the city of Gainesville.

The spraying of adult mosquitos is not based on sound science, nor is the effect of the pesticides being monitored. The mentality that is behind this practice comes from the 1940s and '50s, when people were ignorant. It is 2016, time for using our brains. You do not spray human populations with nerve poisons and just shrug off the potential consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 AM

351 posts, read 492,257 times
Nice of you to pop in and dredge up an old post.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT10 View Post
TripTower writes,

"Naples, heck, the entire southern half of the state, would be uninhabitable for most of the year if they didn't spray for mosquitoes."

Actually, the spraying doesn't work. David Pimentel, an entomologist from Cornell University has studied these fogging programs around the country. He calls them "worthless." They only breed more resistant mosquitos.

There are plenty of places in Florida that do not spray and people actually live there without being carried away with mosquitos. Okeechobee is booming, and there is no mosquito adulticiding program. Alachua County has no program, just the city of Gainesville.

The spraying of adult mosquitos is not based on sound science, nor is the effect of the pesticides being monitored. The mentality that is behind this practice comes from the 1940s and '50s, when people were ignorant. It is 2016, time for using our brains. You do not spray human populations with nerve poisons and just shrug off the potential consequences.
OK, based on personal experience, I'm gonna just have to disagree with you.

Spend some time in the Naples area (heck, anywhere in South FL) where they don't spray, and tell me that mosquitoes aren't an issue.

I'll save you the time. They are unimaginably bad.......... As in, you can't make it from your car to the house in the evening or early morning without a dozen bites, bad.

This place is already hell (with palm trees) for 8-9 months of the year. Being eaten by mosquitoes anytime you're not in direct sunlight or inside a house or car would make enduring it exponentially worse.

The up side is that if they stop spraying, it might shorten GBC Season a bit.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,103 times
I can tell you that spraying makes no difference. I lived for 20 years in Ft Pierce, in a neighborhood where the county sprayed a lot for mosquito control, and you could go out there two days after spraying and get as many bites as the day before the spraying. The spray harms people's lungs, and also the human nervous system. Entomologist Pimental is correct. The spraying is indeed worthless. Just a waste of taxpayer money to weaken everyone's body.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:56 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
Just Spray Baby Spray!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:44 AM

557 posts, read 606,824 times
Just more proof that Florida sucks.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:26 AM

214 posts, read 286,318 times
No one talks much about it because it's part of our landscape. See the post above about Everglades City during mosquito season....

We investigated a home rental in Port of the Islands a few years ago - lovely home with panoramic water views. It was vacant upon our first look, so we took a walk around the yard. It was June. I was ATTACKED by mosquitos that kicked up from the grass. In a 5 minute walk (because I couldn't stand any more) I got over 20 bites. We eventually did rent in that area for a few weeks but had to spray Yard Guard DAILY on the walkway from the driveway to the front door, plus all around the door jam, just to be able to get out of the car. I became convinced then that we could never buy a home outside the abatement area.

Since then, longtime residents have warned not to take visitors to the Everglades during the summer - not because of heat, but because (and I quote) "the mosquitos will pick you up and carry you away."

So for me it's an okay thing. I couldn't live here if Naples was "au natural" when it comes to mosquitos. We also have to consider the risk of mosquito borne illness, in addition to the quality of life.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT10 View Post
I can tell you that spraying makes no difference. I lived for 20 years in Ft Pierce, in a neighborhood where the county sprayed a lot for mosquito control, and you could go out there two days after spraying and get as many bites as the day before the spraying. The spray harms people's lungs, and also the human nervous system. Entomologist Pimental is correct. The spraying is indeed worthless. Just a waste of taxpayer money to weaken everyone's body.
I can tell you, again, that it most certainly does.

Read my prior posts.

Better yet, do some research and read a few books by and about the early settlers in SWFL.

Every one of them will mention the horrific mosquito problems in the days before spraying.

Based on a lot of time spent in areas in SWFL that are not sprayed during my near 30 year tenure here, I can unequivocally say that they are not exaggerating in the least.

I'm not gonna argue the health hazards of aerial spraying, but the fact remains that it does keep the mosquitoes in check. I don't recall ever being bitten by one in any of my properties in Naples. They simply aren't an issue in the covered areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples