Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 AM

51 posts, read 98,540 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at purchasing in naples and was told that traffic is unbearable the winter months. I am going down the first week in December to see how bad it really is. My question is, is the first week of December a good indication of how traffic/crowds will be, or do most snowbirds go to Naples after Christmas. Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I seem to find that people complain about traffic where ever they are. We just returned to Central NJ after several months in Naples FL and Murrells Inlet SC. We have spent the "heavy" seasons in both places and there was increased traffic. However, the worst traffic encountered in Naples (and it does get heavy sometimes) is no where close to the lightest traffic times in NJ. I just spent two days hitting the stores here to prepare for Thanksgiving and stocking up and spent most of that time sitting in gridlock.

IMHO, traffic in Naples and the surrounding area is never "that" bad to the point of bothering me.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Seasonal Naples person here...7 seasons and I do find the Jan/Feb 'traffic' to be pretty severe. I don't go out and drive around daily, so my opin is simply anecdotal, but it is crowded and 'clumpy' in spots.

I find the very long and multi-setting traffic lights, combined with left turns only on a green or green arrow to be part of the funeral procession back up found at many of the main intersections. Combine that with some suspect driving skills, and an enormous population gain for a few months = traffic. I would not call it 'unbearable', however.

I do agree with tmozer above, that very dense traffic areas such as northern NJ and metro NY seem to move large volumes better. After ~30 yrs in NYC/metro NY working, I sometimes wonder how all these people driving around Collier/South Lee counties ever got to freakin work, back in the day?! Lol!

I don't like the traffic and the 5 min stop lights/packed intersections, but I put up with it, and it is what it is...
And, December will not give the OP a real sense of late Jan/Feb 'traffic' and getting around logistics, imo.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 AM

47 posts, read 154,036 times
The season REALLY starts in January. It's not the stationary road congestion that bothers people, it's the way people drive. Sometimes it really amazes me to see the maneuvers these snowbirds make on these roads...it's dangerous.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyco View Post
I'm looking at purchasing in naples and was told that traffic is unbearable the winter months. I am going down the first week in December to see how bad it really is. My question is, is the first week of December a good indication of how traffic/crowds will be, or do most snowbirds go to Naples after Christmas. Thank you for your responses.
"unbearable" is relative. Depends on what you're used to, but it's really not that bad. We love snowbirds!

December is a busy month, but the traffic gets much worse in February and March which is the height of the season.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleopatra1981 View Post
The season REALLY starts in January. It's not the stationary road congestion that bothers people, it's the way people drive. Sometimes it really amazes me to see the maneuvers these snowbirds make on these roads...it's dangerous.
Agreed! The volume is not as much of an issue as the complete moronacy that I see every single time I get in the car...... All it takes for an accident is a few cars, driving right next to each other, and you've got a recipe for disaster, since no one is ever in the lane they want ot be in, and no one ever looks before changing lanes, sans signalling. of course. I've been sideswiped 3 times in the last 25 years here, and I avoid it on a daily basis. It really is unbelievable....

Oh, and it's not just the snowbirds. Cell phones and an overall "ME" attitude has made everyone drive like they're 110 years old.....

Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 PM

112 posts, read 308,542 times
I'm from Central NJ so it takes a lot for me to call it "traffic." When January, Feb and March roll around I will avoid driving during rush hour, will take to some of the lesser traveled streets and be thankful to live in my modest home west of 41 where I can get around without the congestion. Unless you've experienced brutal NYC traffic in the cold with snow, you might not know Naples in the winter is easy-breazy.
I do hope you are all enjoying your Turkey Day!!!

Maggie

Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM

68 posts, read 211,136 times
Go to the East Coast of FL and see what bad traffic is... Road structure here is very good and the worst thing you'll do in season, is wait at a set of lights just like everyone else.. Otherwise its pretty much plain sailing getting to where you want. I've live in cities such as London, LA, NY and trust me, that's traffic.. Naples is like heaven in comparison. I know the area well, if you want any other info on the best parts to relocate too, just PM me, i'm always happy to help. This is part of what makes Naples so special, people willing to help ! When i first moved here, people said watch out for the snobby people, but my experience was how much everyone around was willing to go out of their way to help. So i tend to do the same.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples