Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Okay I won't go not too much detail here just an overview. The detailed thread is in the rental part of the real estate section with pics if anyone wants the low down..

Quick version..

Lost everything we owned 2 years ago a hoarding neighbor below us that infested us with thousands of roaches. Moved into different apt in same complex. Front half (old apt) was the apt section, back half (now apt) is condos with a few rentals let out from a back office with a separate mgmt team

We moved n suddenly were told apt was all upgraded never lived in , couldn't see it till move in cause it was being worked on. I know that's bad but don't judge we were in a bad spot loosing everything we worked for 12 years with a 1 year old. We move in ,nothing is upgraded but the fridge and stove. Everything else old and original. Apt up front was upgraded so we knew the kitchen had tiles, new cabinets, tubs, fixtures so on. We expressed displeasure but were essentially given the dont like it leave. Beggars can't be choosers we stuck it out. After a year , still recovering $ wise signed a new lease. We told them our carpets were terrible (Berber) and ripping up everywhere and I had already gone through two vacuums . Our front apt had said they didn't even use these carpets anymore because of complaints.

We were told carpets had a 3 year warranty and they were changing mgmt companies nothing they could do. Half way thru second year I notice tub starts to peel/bubble. I realize they painted my tub with wall paint. I can't even use it now the paint is coming off all over. They said they'd try and do something about it, that was 5 days ago.

I made the office come out and inspect my carpets, she blamed my kid and dog and now says the carpets are 5 year guaranteed. Odd considering my 3 year lease is about to come up and the carpets were originally good for 3 years.. So anywho on our new lease signing they are going to raise my rent from $945 to $1095 +$40 for water. I said great that'll include the wood floors then. They said no. I said but you're charging me upgraded apt price (they are getting rid of carpets all apts will be wood floors and that's the price for a wood floor apt FULLY upgraded) she said because we are existing residents they're not gonna give us the wood floors , they change them when we move. So I live in a non upgraded apt. But I'm about to be charged for a fully upgraded one. Is this right? Can they do this. We are a 1 income family we don't have a lot of $. It'll cost us tons of money to get a new apt with first last security etc and Nap,es is so expensive all other apts are more expensive it seems .it's not only unsightly it's disgusting. I can't vacuum anymore nor use that bathtub. I'm so frustrated I could just cry for a week

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Rent rates have been increasing lately. They can raise the rent. Sounds like you are not happy with the way things are there.

You should take a look at other rentals to see if there is something better for you. Maybe your rate is high, but maybe it's market rate. You won't know until you see what else is out there.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Rent rates have been increasing lately. They can raise the rent. Sounds like you are not happy with the way things are there.

You should take a look at other rentals to see if there is something better for you. Maybe your rate is high, but maybe it's market rate. You won't know until you see what else is out there.
I have been looking. Rent is outrageous in town. I looked at a few and between first last security oet fee app free. I just don't have $3,000 just to get into a new place.. Our absolute limit is $1,100 which is what we will be paying and that means its do we pay the card or eat on rent checks. It seems all rent is around that in Naples unless its section 8. And we don't qualify for that

Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 PM

112 posts, read 308,710 times
OMG! That is terrible, Sweetbottoms. They did a bait and switch and you could probably go to small claims court and get the difference on the rent between an upgraded and non upgraded apartment. Probably not worth you time and effort though. But if you're really pissed you may want to look into it! That bathtub is darn creepy. Sorry I can't only offer moral support and not legal advice.

Maggie

Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
I don't know if there is anything that you can do. What they verbally tell you and what is in the lease may be two different things.

I would suggest that you try to talk to them again (calmly) and see if you can move into a finished apartment.

If they're not willing to work with you, then you may need to start saving (maybe get a part time job) and get money so you can move out. Season is starting soon, so there will be lots of jobs out there.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Okay well I had to have my hubby talk to them(I get too fired up sometimes and have to know when to walk away. He's the smooth talker . So after deliberations and offers back and forth they agreed to pull the carpets and put in wood floors this fri. They also agreed to bring a tub/bathroom guy out and redo both our tubs since the other one is just a matter of time (thankfully that one has no mold or peeling its perfect , but still ). So since we are in a non upgraded apt with older cabinets , counters etc they said they'll raise our rent to $1050 instead of $1100 and that we can sign a year lease.. We talked about it ,thought it through and figure for naples that's a good price, we will have new flooring and tubs and we can live with older looking cabinets, that's more cosmetic as oppose to a hygiene issue. So we are okay with this offer and it gives us another year to get my husbands college done and in to a new career possibly out of state. All in all I'm okay with how it turned out.. Ladies if ur husband is less emotional than you LET HIM TALK!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
I'm glad that it worked out for you. Good luck in the future job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples