Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 53,640 times

Advertisements

We live around the Tampa area and don't really care for. It's dumpy and redneck and rundown and full of crime. I was pretty much ready to roll on from Florida, since I have the means and ability to live anywhere, but I thought Id ask if Naples was a good place for a family. I know its a small town, which is is good. I know it has nice beaches and is hot year round. I also know its chock full of NY snowbirds. Does it have good schools? Is it full of crime like most of Florida appears to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,261 times
You have the means and ability to live anywhere, but picked a dumpy, crime ridden part of Tampa?
There ARE nice places in this area. Naples is boring. Your kids will leave when they are able to.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Indeed. I would say Florida is the biggest mistake move I've ever made. That's why I want out. But, I'm willing to see if there's a nice part I simply have overlooked. I've met lots of people who've said Florida is a dump, but I didn't realize an entire state more or less could be in such a way. Now I know.

Of course, its all relative. From some rusted out place, FL probably still looks good. By nice I mean good schools, strong community and low crime. Haven't seen any place in the whole state which can satisfy this.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Having read some past posts, I'll think I'll safely put Naples in the not family freindly category.

Good luck snow birds. Your going to need it in Florida. Sarasota is most likely Naples future once the newness and niceness wears off in 20 years. Jmho.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:54 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,579 times
South Tampa-much to do, good area, great schools.
Naples is more of a retirement area (nothing wrong with that)

Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Naples can be bland unless you're a retiree. The weather, besides a few cold days, is nicer than Tampa year-round, with higher water and air temperatures. The beaches are practically Caribbean. It's beautiful. But you may want to explore Sarasota first...it has more going on.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 PM

152 posts, read 451,034 times
I have lived in Naples for over three years. Crime here is very rare. The area is beautiful with lovely landscaping and architecture. The beaches are pristine.

As for New Yorker's, I haven't seen any. I think the eastern snowbirds go to the east coast. Naples is an international city. We have many Europeans who live here. It is one of the richest areas in the country.

There are plenty of families who live here. It is a small town, so the choices for entertainment do not compare to a large city like Orlando. Some schools are great and others are not as good. If you have the means, you might want to look into sending your children to a private school.

Naples is not hot year round. Last year, we had some very chilly weather in the winter. The cool temperatures do not last very long though.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 43,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodoxo View Post
We live around the Tampa area and don't really care for. It's dumpy and redneck and rundown and full of crime. I was pretty much ready to roll on from Florida, since I have the means and ability to live anywhere, but I thought Id ask if Naples was a good place for a family. I know its a small town, which is is good. I know it has nice beaches and is hot year round. I also know its chock full of NY snowbirds. Does it have good schools? Is it full of crime like most of Florida appears to be?
Naples is a draaaaaaag. And yes, it's full of snowbirds - whoever says otherwise is living in a fantasy world. Naples/Bonita Springs is a ghost town until the on-season - and then you cannot even get into the Olive Garden on a Saturday night. Everyone you meet here is from MD, NY, ME, MA, etc. - SNOWBIRDS. No way I would leave Tampa to move here. Just my $0.02.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,579 times
What area in Tampa do you live in? I live in South Tampa which is a nice area. Hyde Park would offer you excellent schools, families around you as well as professionals. You can actually walk the streets at night without looking over your shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodoxo View Post

Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 AM

7 posts, read 35,003 times
I love Naples and I think it is a wonderful place to raise a family. There are several family oriented gated communities. The public schools are good. Some are the best in the state. There are sports youth leagues, Naples Performing Arts Center , The Golisano Children's Museum of Naples, Naples Zoo. The beaches are gorgeous. The weather is superb.

I do not think there are lots of New Yorkers in Naples. I meet lots of transplants from Midwest (like ourselves). There are many Germans and Canadians as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples