Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 04:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 625,126 times

Advertisements

Has there been any word as to how long the water boil order will last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 07:07 PM

162 posts, read 302,385 times
Its going to be a while. The wastewater system in Collier County (not town of Naples or town of Ave Maria) is so overwhelmed, its borderline criminal. There are community lift stations that are still not operational fully due to lack of power. On top of that, the centralized wastewater processing is affected due to the elevated water levels in all the ponds due to all the rainfall. This is a textbook case of overdevelopment. I hope they really slow down development or adjust impact fees to factor in all the additional stress to the sewage system. Who cares how nice your country club community is if it a) smells like a cess pit and b) has raw sewage bubbling up from the middle of the street!!!!!

Old 09-18-2017, 05:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Raw sewage in the middle of the street is still better than in one’s home.

Hopefully one takeaway is that all lift stations need to have a backup generator. Luckily it’s off season so as long as the snowbirds all don’t come down to check on their property and start doing dishes and laundry it will be ok.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM

162 posts, read 302,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Raw sewage in the middle of the street is still better than in one’s home.

Hopefully one takeaway is that all lift stations need to have a backup generator. Luckily it’s off season so as long as the snowbirds all don’t come down to check on their property and start doing dishes and laundry it will be ok.
As more and more of the county gets power, people are assuming things are back to normal and are using those amenities with aplomb (washing machines especially). As a precaution, I've taken to checking my drains for backups and as soon as I see slowness, I'm popping off my sewer clean-out trap cover. Better to have sewage flow into the driveway/bushes than into the house.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,218,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Its going to be a while. The wastewater system in Collier County (not town of Naples or town of Ave Maria) is so overwhelmed, its borderline criminal. There are community lift stations that are still not operational fully due to lack of power. On top of that, the centralized wastewater processing is affected due to the elevated water levels in all the ponds due to all the rainfall. This is a textbook case of overdevelopment. I hope they really slow down development or adjust impact fees to factor in all the additional stress to the sewage system. Who cares how nice your country club community is if it a) smells like a cess pit and b) has raw sewage bubbling up from the middle of the street!!!!!
True, how could one of the wealthiest counties in the state apparently be so unprepared for a hurricane that we have to have sewage over flowing on the streets as well I'm sure being dumped in the Gulf where we swim? I'm part of the problem truthfully, moving here from out of state like many other people who wanted their slice of paradise adding to the demand on the infrastructure and resources here.

As a relatively pretty young Naples resident and employee (29 year old) I am very afraid for the future of not just Naples but all of Florida, and all of the world for that matter.

We need to fix these Lake O releases, we are killing Florida Bay by suffocating it from getting water during winter months, we are killing our coastal area's where all this polluted Lake O water flushes out at, and we are killing our environment by continuing to cut down trees and replace them with pavement.... I am not trying to complain, I want to know what more I can do besides just recycle or pick up trash at the beach when I see it.... I guess move out and go back where I came from? I read somewhere recently and have to sadly agree, humans don't deserve this beautiful world..

Sorry if this post sounds very negative, perhaps I'm a little frustrated because I still have no power like many of you, and perhaps I'm just sad when I went to Wiggins Pass State park a few days after Irma and saw the most brown water I have ever seen washing up and down the shores of our beautiful beaches.......

Old 09-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
As more and more of the county gets power, people are assuming things are back to normal and are using those amenities with aplomb (washing machines especially). As a precaution, I've taken to checking my drains for backups and as soon as I see slowness, I'm popping off my sewer clean-out trap cover. Better to have sewage flow into the driveway/bushes than into the house.
ditto. Amazing on Collier FB page that people are still questioning the sewer situation even though it is reiterated everywhere.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
True, how could one of the wealthiest counties in the state apparently be so unprepared for a hurricane that we have to have sewage over flowing on the streets as well I'm sure being dumped in the Gulf where we swim? I'm part of the problem truthfully, moving here from out of state like many other people who wanted their slice of paradise adding to the demand on the infrastructure and resources here.

As a relatively pretty young Naples resident and employee (29 year old) I am very afraid for the future of not just Naples but all of Florida, and all of the world for that matter.

We need to fix these Lake O releases, we are killing Florida Bay by suffocating it from getting water during winter months, we are killing our coastal area's where all this polluted Lake O water flushes out at, and we are killing our environment by continuing to cut down trees and replace them with pavement.... I am not trying to complain, I want to know what more I can do besides just recycle or pick up trash at the beach when I see it.... I guess move out and go back where I came from? I read somewhere recently and have to sadly agree, humans don't deserve this beautiful world..

Sorry if this post sounds very negative, perhaps I'm a little frustrated because I still have no power like many of you, and perhaps I'm just sad when I went to Wiggins Pass State park a few days after Irma and saw the most brown water I have ever seen washing up and down the shores of our beautiful beaches.......
its frustrating, but give it time to recover. I’ve seen Great Lakes beaches closed due to pollution, Long Island beaches closed due to sewage, same in California.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:48 AM

731 posts, read 769,393 times
If the sewage is just a power problem as the County is saying, why don't they get some big a$$ generators from out of state? They have generators that give power to large buildings as they are under construction - where are these?

I'm concerned that the problem is more than they are saying.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
If the sewage is just a power problem as the County is saying, why don't they get some big a$$ generators from out of state? They have generators that give power to large buildings as they are under construction - where are these?

I'm concerned that the problem is more than they are saying.
The problem is probably that they had 800 lift stations and a treatment plant with no backup power. Nobody thought of the question "what if everything loses power at once?"

The excuse that this is part of getting everything back to normal is exactly that, an excuse. What's more frustrating is no way to know which areas/neighborhoods have a working lift pump, so they have a blanket order to reduce water use.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:16 PM

731 posts, read 769,393 times
Collier County's official reason for the sewage problem is allegedly power. It's now Tuesday. At this point there is NO EXCUSE if the reason is just power. Generators! Get a lot of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples