Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 02:37 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Bonita has a great, brand new high school that just opened, so the 'lee schools vs collier schools' doesn't really apply much now (unless something happens to this new school over the years.).
Actually the age of the school isn’t really relevant at all.

It’s the quality of the teachers, and the quality of the students. And how the district overall is run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:21 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,760 times
Review this as you narrow down you area

https://www.colliercountyfl.gov/your...r-flood-hazard

Good luck

Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 AM

331 posts, read 452,545 times
Taxes are lower in Collier than Lee. Bonita had a lot of issues with flooding because of the creeks and rivers that run to the gulf. Bonita is nice but I chose a higher elevation in Collier over Lee. Less crime and 70% of Collier County will remain green and only 10% left to build on.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:22 PM

If you find a good place in either, you pay more for the Zip code relative to when you may need to sell. Naoles still has that panache in my IMHO

You really need to measure the differences relative to your personal situation, We can all advocate for our place wherever that is but that self-validation may be inappropriate for you.

Get some boots in the ground and look around then decide

Lets us know how it all shook out

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2019, 03:54 PM

13 posts, read 21,925 times
In a related topic most new communities build homes on ponds. Ok great for privacy but my question is what happens during heavy rain storms or hurricanes. I would assume any house on a pond would be subject to flooding. Right?
Also how does the county (Lee or Collier) maintain the water levels? I assume pumps would help maintain water levels but what happens if power is out for a week or longer?
Thanks

Old 08-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytheoldguy View Post
In a related topic most new communities build homes on ponds. Ok great for privacy but my question is what happens during heavy rain storms or hurricanes. I would assume any house on a pond would be subject to flooding. Right?
Also how does the county (Lee or Collier) maintain the water levels? I assume pumps would help maintain water levels but what happens if power is out for a week or longer?
Thanks
Good builder raise the elevation around those ponds.

I did not notice any impact in some developments like mine after Irma hit. I saw a lot of places under water along 41

Old 08-11-2019, 10:56 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,088,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytheoldguy View Post
Thanks
Most of developed Collier, east of 75 drains into the Golden Gate Canal system. The level is controlled by several weirs that drain into the gulf. Most of the localized flooding is due to low elevation. The current code forces the homes built in the last 25 years or so to be built up to the point where the neighborhoods might flood, but the homes won't.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
I don’t know if Collier was prepared before Irma, but should be better now. There was a severe strain on the sewage system because many pumping stations did not have generators, which is somewhat scary given the general possibility of hurricanes.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:00 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,129 times
Those ponds are part of several very large and complex surface water management systems. Very simply put, it is basically a series of stepped tiers covering many square miles where the ponds (and communities) moving away from the final draining point are at a successively higher elevation. For example, the ponds furthest away could be at a control elevation of say 30 feet above sea level. Those ponds would drain down to the next tier at say 28 feet. Those drain down to the next tier at 26 feet, and so on. It is all controlled by a series of weirs and gravity. Newer areas further east were built with these standards and normally do not flood and do not require flood insurance (zone X), though many people (me included) still carry flood insurance in case something goes wrong, like weirs getting clogged with debris and impeding drainage flow further up the system or a storm surge inundating the lower tiers causing the upper tiers to back up.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Those ponds are part of several very large and complex surface water management systems. Very simply put, it is basically a series of stepped tiers covering many square miles where the ponds (and communities) moving away from the final draining point are at a successively higher elevation. For example, the ponds furthest away could be at a control elevation of say 30 feet above sea level. Those ponds would drain down to the next tier at say 28 feet. Those drain down to the next tier at 26 feet, and so on. It is all controlled by a series of weirs and gravity. Newer areas further east were built with these standards and normally do not flood and do not require flood insurance (zone X), though many people (me included) still carry flood insurance in case something goes wrong, like weirs getting clogged with debris and impeding drainage flow further up the system or a storm surge inundating the lower tiers causing the upper tiers to back up.
Agreed! I got voluntary flood insurance, not Citizens, and bought extra coverage for sewer back up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples