Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 09:43 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
and they will
That’s an old generation and/or small minded person mentality. The tie does not make the man. It’s all a facade folks!

Now if there are stains on your T-shirt shirt, or your car hasn’t been washed for 3 months...there’s definitely a fine line between having showmanship and putting on a facade.

It’s Florida, one simply does not look in harmony with their environment when they are over dressed up!

Sure dressing nice enhances the halo effect in your favor but intelligent people look pass that! The tie does not make the man. One can rock Tommy Bahama cloths and some nice sandals and still come across classy and competent as a high net worth client would expect. Tone of voice and body language is so much more important then trying to over compensate with being over dressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 11:14 AM

47 posts, read 56,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Keep this mental virus out of FL!! Damn right there’s an anti-mask movement. Don’t worry after the election we won’t hear much about the China virus.

He’s right about FL being very flat I’ll give him that.
I know Florida is land of the Magic, but getting rid of Covid-19 is not so simple as an election. Also, there are too many anti-vaxers everywhere, so it will stay around for a while.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:39 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
That’s an old generation and/or small minded person mentality. The tie does not make the man. It’s all a facade folks!
No, its called being professional in a business where you are 'selling your self'. Lots of rich people dress down and drive crappy cars. But you aren't rich, so you gotta put on nice clothes and win over people to use you. Fight it all you want, I don't really care since we don't know each other.

I sold plenty of real estate in shorts in Miami and showing up on my scooter to meet buyers. If I wanted an $800k listing in Coconut Grove, I dressed up and drove my wife's nice car

Old 11-01-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
No, its called being professional in a business where you are 'selling your self'. Lots of rich people dress down and drive crappy cars. But you aren't rich, so you gotta put on nice clothes and win over people to use you. Fight it all you want, I don't really care since we don't know each other.

I sold plenty of real estate in shorts in Miami and showing up on my scooter to meet buyers. If I wanted an $800k listing in Coconut Grove, I dressed up and drove my wife's nice car
To each is own. There’s no fighting it because there’s nothing to fight. Wearing nice clothes is one thing, having to put on a suit and tie and fancy dress shoes when’s it’s 92 degrees out and oppressive humidity is overkill and actually quite sad one would have to subject themselves through such uncomfortableness in order to subconsciously suck up for a sale.

I recently FaceTimed a buyer out of state whom I never met before for the first time while I was in a Park Shore condo listed for 750k just wearing swim shorts and a Nike T-Shirt. I didn’t feel out of place or inferior, I mean the damn beach was 20 feet away and if we are selling a certain lifestyle then we should actually be living that lifestyle! Plus my plans literally were to take a dip into the Gulf after our FaceTime call lol. The buyer couldn’t have cared less what I was wearing, I honestly think I could have done the FaceTime call without a shirt and he wouldn’t have cared one bit. We ended up getting the condo under contract but pulled out for reasons with HOA provisions he didn’t like.

I also feel the more I dress up the less I feel like my true authentic self and more like a sales person. Sure I guess I’m in sales but if I’m not feeling like myself then the customer won’t be comfortable with me either...

The psychology of this all is very interesting.

Say what you want but suits and ties are all a facade, they serve no practical purpose whatsoever... none, zero...notta. You could say a suit and tie is a symbolic gesture to show other people YOU MEAN BUSINESS, but I don’t buy that.

Seriously they should have the presidential debates on a beach somewhere where both candidates are in causal clothes so it would take the tension and seriousness down a few notches and probably open up the door for a more productive dialogue.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 11-01-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-01-2020, 10:19 AM

45 posts, read 37,678 times
In my opinion, a professional who dresses down (compared to the clothing worn by the client) is demonstrating a lack of respect for the client. My advice is to never dress more casually than the client.

Although I have not worn long pants in over a year, I would immediately disqualify a real estate agent who showed up at a business meeting (Zoom or in person) with me wearing bathing trunks and a t-shirt. Although a suit is not necessary (at least in tropical climates), i would expect my real estate agent, at a minimum, to wear khaki pants and a polo shirt. I am in my 60s and suspect that clients in younger generations may feel differently. If that is your target client demographic, then your clothing may not matter but if you are seeking business from the baby-boomer generation, your clothing may be limiting your opportunities.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationNaples View Post
In my opinion, a professional who dresses down (compared to the clothing worn by the client) is demonstrating a lack of respect for the client. My advice is to never dress more casually than the client.

Although I have not worn long pants in over a year, I would immediately disqualify a real estate agent who showed up at a business meeting (Zoom or in person) with me wearing bathing trunks and a t-shirt. Although a suit is not necessary (at least in tropical climates), i would expect my real estate agent, at a minimum, to wear khaki pants and a polo shirt. I am in my 60s and suspect that clients in younger generations may feel differently. If that is your target client demographic, then your clothing may not matter but if you are seeking business from the baby-boomer generation, your clothing may be limiting your opportunities.
It is what it. Not saying every situation is the same so there’s no scientific formula for what outfit to wear in what situation but this is definitely an older generational thing no doubt, and it’s very small and close minded.

There are many silly social norms that will fade with time, this definitely being one of them.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 11-01-2020 at 11:19 AM..

Old 11-01-2020, 09:53 PM

45 posts, read 37,678 times
Or your real estate career may fade with time. There are a lot of real estate agents in Naples chasing potential customers. If I were trying to build my business, I would not go out of my way to turn off the largest segment of the potential customer base. If you honestly believe that wearing a bathing suit and t-shirt to a business meeting is dressing for success, then I wish you luck.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:

I’d say this is a fair comment, both of the typical expectation as well as of the Boomer generation looking to buy in Naples.

A (slight) exaggeration -

“Midwest Muffy who is down with her husband looking at properties is likely driving a BMW or Mercedes with Wisconsin or Michigan plates and is the most successful person on her block up north (and doesn’t hesitate to tell this to everyone). Her husband retired from a corporate job (now retired after 35 years with a generous pension) where they all wore suits every day so wearing shorts and a t-shirt is seen as gauche. She’s wearing the latest Lilly Pulitzer and he’s wearing Tommy Bahama, with the shirt in regular cut to cover his oversized paunch.”

Yes, this is a characterization but it fits dozens of people I know in Naples.

Until Boomers are no longer a buying generation in Naples, which is probably 10-15 years from now, I’d dress up slightly and also make sure I drove a decent car - a Lexus SUV would be appropriate, or an older Mercedes. Nothing too fancy to overshadow the buyer because looking too good is also a turnoff.

This is a sales job after all. Wear what you like on your own time.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Or your real estate career may fade with time. There are a lot of real estate agents in Naples chasing potential customers. If I were trying to build my business, I would not go out of my way to turn off the largest segment of the potential customer base. If you honestly believe that wearing a bathing suit and t-shirt to a business meeting is dressing for success, then I wish you luck.
The world is changing fast before our very eyes...working from home just 10 months ago was wishful thinking for millions of people, and now it’s becoming the new social norm.

Based on my comments earlier about this subject (which has nothing to do with OP’s original subject lol) and your responses I can tell you haven’t grasped in any way intellectually what I truly said, or maybe you did grasp just a tiny bit.

The saying dressing for success is just a cute old school cliche saying so the masses who are followers in life do it. When it comes to sales there’s many moving parts and one’s attire is just one piece of the puzzle. Dress pants and a dress shirt can never compensate for a bad attitude, bad posture, lack of competence, etc. We can go on and on about this subject, I find it fascinating really.. I see people who dress nice but haven’t spent the money to fix their crooked teeth. Not trying to be shallow. The point is there’s a lot that goes into having good personal magnetism and one’s attire is just part of it.

We do live in a shallow society, generally speaking, and while Naples isn’t as shallow as maybe a place like LA it’s still a pretty materialistic superficial place. When I moved here 5 years ago I made damn sure I spent some significant money on braces to have perfectly straight teeth, buy a new car, and to just look the part here in Naples. I don’t see many successful people here dressing up, because they are usually here on vacation or don’t have a typical job and are just in laid back clothes. Ironically, the people who dress up the most are the ones who are the working class people.

Here you want my honest brutal take on this...I say if you’re a balding man with crooked teeth and a fat stomach you should probably wear more clothes not less, same with women. Someone like me who goes to the gym and has a nice complexion with a clean cut haircut I can probably get away with wearing just a T-Shirt. The world isn’t fair, it’s definitely shallow so don’t get mad at me, I just see the world for what it is and act accordingly. I treat everyone the same wether they are the janitor or CEO, no one in my book gets put on an emotional pedestal, no one.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 11-02-2020 at 05:10 AM..

Old 11-02-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’d say this is a fair comment, both of the typical expectation as well as of the Boomer generation looking to buy in Naples.

A (slight) exaggeration -

“Midwest Muffy who is down with her husband looking at properties is likely driving a BMW or Mercedes with Wisconsin or Michigan plates and is the most successful person on her block up north (and doesn’t hesitate to tell this to everyone). Her husband retired from a corporate job (now retired after 35 years with a generous pension) where they all wore suits every day so wearing shorts and a t-shirt is seen as gauche. She’s wearing the latest Lilly Pulitzer and he’s wearing Tommy Bahama, with the shirt in regular cut to cover his oversized paunch.”

Yes, this is a characterization but it fits dozens of people I know in Naples.

Until Boomers are no longer a buying generation in Naples, which is probably 10-15 years from now, I’d dress up slightly and also make sure I drove a decent car - a Lexus SUV would be appropriate, or an older Mercedes. Nothing too fancy to overshadow the buyer because looking too good is also a turnoff.

This is a sales job after all. Wear what you like on your own time.
I’d say these are fair comments, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples