Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking you are trying to do an apples to oranges comparison comparing Naples to the entire Tampa Bay area.

Naples is a tiny fraction of the population that TB has. There is way, way more diversity and demographic changes there than Naples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 PM

23 posts, read 43,176 times
mbtrom- thanks for the note. We are also looking heavily at the Raleigh/Wake Forest area. Been house hunting there a few times and looks very nice. The reason SW FL comes into the picture is that my parent live in Marco Island so it gives us some sort of support system. We have no real connections in NC but my wife gets a better feeling in NC for raising a family.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:10 PM

34 posts, read 140,973 times
Schools: Florida is not known for schools and Naples is no exception but there are good public high school like Barron Collier, Gulf Coast and Naples. A lot of people choose private school down here.Weather: The winters and Springs are beautiful, very warm tropical weather and not that much humidity. The drawbacks are the summers where it can get very very humid and hot and rain a lot. Cost of Living: Naples is not a cheap city and restaurants, groceries, and entertainment can be costly. Also there are not a lot of jobs in the Naples area itself so many people commute to other areas. Kids: In my opinon there are tons of things for kids to do in southwest Florida considering they can play outside all year long. The usual activities are going to the beach, fishing, boating, baseball etc. I don't see what Collier County doesn't have for kids that other areas do, Tampa is much more dangerous so that should be taken into consideration as well. I'd probablly reccomend Tampa for you and your family. More jobs and less costly than Naples for the most part. Also, I doubt that NC lacks any of the problems that Florida has, crime, illegal immigration, and drugs are alive in NC as well. If you are intelligent and determined people you will do fine anyway you live. Good luck in wherever you choose

Old 05-07-2009, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 29,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I keep thinking you are trying to do an apples to oranges comparison comparing Naples to the entire Tampa Bay area.

Naples is a tiny fraction of the population that TB has. There is way, way more diversity and demographic changes there than Naples.
Absolutely. Tampa is very spread out, and Naples is very small and compressed. Naples is a different place in a lot of ways.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 PM

135 posts, read 408,068 times
It could just be my opinion, but we live in Fort Myers with children and think there is tons to do and we are constantly exhausted. My children play outside all year....yes, even May through September. I would much rather spend a sunny day at the pool than have rain, snow and sleet half the year or more. Yes, it gets hot, but it's not like I sit inside all day either. There are sports groups, summer camps, parks, beaches, pools, and the list goes on. The public schools stink, but there are a lot of good private schools if you look for them. I can't speak for Naples, I have only been there a few times, but maybe you should check out Fort Myers.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,945 times
JudiPATOOTIE I love the name too. My husband and I are in our late 50's and looking in Naples for retirement. We aren't ready yet but feel the deals due to the economy are too good to pass up. We were looking in the Vineyards, do you know that community? Thanks for any suggestions or opinions about purchasing in Naples now.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:21 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
The Vineyards is a nice community. There are no bad areas in there. It is close to shopping, I-75 etc.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
Well I have been down here for over 25 years coming from northern Mi. Naples has changed a lot. It is really hard to find a job here and the schools are not good. Naples lacks the hometown and welcome feel it used to have. It is over run with wealthy older people who are the snobbiest of the snobs.. My advice don't move here go to Estero or Ft. Myers. Your kids will appreciate that when they get older. Trust Me!!! I moved here when I got out of High School in the mid eighties....was a great place then...wish I could turn back time..

Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 PM

13 posts, read 31,009 times
Are you sold on the idea of Naples, Tampa because of the beaches? I am from Gainesville, Fl. We have good schools, beautiful (not stripped of nature) areas of land, not to big, weather is good, TONS of family activities, etc... We have rivers, lakes, springs, and we are only a 45 minute drive to the beach in one direction and an 1hr. 15min in the other. We have a very good mix of people in the area also. I would give it a look if your after a great place, good weather, and family entertainment.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default I lived in Gainesville many years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommydebs View Post
Are you sold on the idea of Naples, Tampa because of the beaches? I am from Gainesville, Fl. We have good schools, beautiful (not stripped of nature) areas of land, not to big, weather is good, TONS of family activities, etc... We have rivers, lakes, springs, and we are only a 45 minute drive to the beach in one direction and an 1hr. 15min in the other. We have a very good mix of people in the area also. I would give it a look if your after a great place, good weather, and family entertainment.
Families? Oh, yes MUCH better than Naples for families, but all some people see are beaches and you won't get than inland Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples