Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 AM

72 posts, read 144,338 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Nashville and came down last week to look around and check out some houses. We primarily focused on Franklin, but also checked a few in Brentwood. We found a few things we liked, but a lot of the homes are older, and we are used to newer construction. We also did not like the lack of sidewalks. In doing further research, I came across an area called Bent Creek in Nolensville. Newer homes, for quite a bit less than Brentwood or Franklin. Community with sidewalks, parks, trails, pools, etc. Williamson County Schools, in fact the particular area I looked at is Sunset Elementary which I have heard excellent things about. It also seems that if you are on the west side of Nolensville, you are practically bumping up against Brentwood. My husband also travels, so the airport proximity is nice too. So, on paper, this looks like a perfect area. But I have to assume it might not be all it appears to be. Is it too country out that way? No shopping or other amenities? Is it real small town, or is it an up and coming area? Would love any and all feedback and comparisons to the other areas we are looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Nolensville is more country than Franklin and Bwood. It is an old, small town that has had a lot of development in the last decade because part of it does, as you say, bump up against Brentwood. One problem is that another part ofit bumps up against the Cane Ridge/Antioch part of Nashville, which is less desirable.
Because it is a little more remote and has fewer amenities, it is the place for people who want to live "near" Brentwood but don't want to pay as much.
The Nolensville homebuilding growth has far outpaced the infrastructure. There is a Kroger and a Publix at the intersection of Nolensville and Concord now, so residents don't have to drive as far as they used to. But you will be driving on country roads and roads that are under construction for years to come. It's a haul to I-65 and I-24 as well, but back-road access to the airport could work.
Schools will continue to be more overcrowded as the county tries to catch up with all the new families. Right now most Nolensville kids are zoned for Ravenwood High, which is suffering from having nearly 500 more students than it should. There are plans to build a Nolensville high school, but they are on hold indefinitely as the county system is having serious budget problems right now.
If you are not willing to sacrifice the amenities you mentioned - new construction, sidewalks, etc - Nolensville is probably right for you. Anything with that in Bwood would not be less than $500K. The only issue you might have in Bent Creek is with resale, if you should move later, as it is an area where there is usually a lot of competition with new homes that are still being built.
We have a few friends who attend Sunset and are happy with it. It's kind of fun because you will go to school with kids from New York and kids whose parents own a hundred-hear-old cattle farm and ride ATVs on the weekend.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 06-17-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,529 times
i agree with a lot of what Wmsn4life said and the perception of Nolensville. For many it is "inconvenient". Do you have to be in Williamson COunty? A lot of people like the Mt Juliet schools which has a lot of new construction, often bigger lot sizes and is closer to Percy Priest Lake for recreation. ALso, how often does your husband go to the airport and at what time of day? Mt Juliet is super close. But if he leaves on a Sunday afternoon, or early early on a Monday morning have you explored Spring Hill/Thompson Station? it is further south but still in Williamson County and enjoys the same great school reputation with TONS of new construction and a lot of bang for the buck. As long as he doesnt have to start work downtown Nashville each day at 8:30am, the commute shouldn't be too bad. Plus they are opening 2 new schools ( elementary and middle) this August and its second own high school next August. Shopping has become great with a super target, kohls, pet smart, etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,511,082 times
Here is an article on the Mt. Juliet and Wilson County area from today's Tennessean. I don't think I can cut/paste the article, and the Tennessean.com does not keep their stories active for longer than about a week. So here's the link for as long as it lasts...

Home buyers flock to Wilson County | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,213 times
There is plenty of new construction and recently built homes in Brentwood...you just have to be willing to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville