Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:30 PM

369 posts, read 942,214 times

Advertisements

williamson county 99 times out of 100
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 AM

76 posts, read 227,575 times
Thanks all... we'll be out in September to cruise the hoods.. can't wait!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
williamson county 99 times out of 100
I agree! Williamson county all the way! Nice homes, nice people, good shopping.

Williamson county is the wealthiest county in Tennessee!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times
It depends completely on what suits you. I personally prefer Davidson County but I'm younger, more into urban areas, interesting local eateries, cultural attractions, nightlife, etc. There are some great neighborhoods in Davidson County that'll rival anything you'll find in Williamson County - Belle Meade, Forrest Hill, Green Hills, Sylvan Park, Lockeland Springs, Hillsboro Village, Germantown, etc. etc. If you're into a slower, suburban way of life then Williamson County will be more your cup of tea. You may want to check out the other counties as well if you find time on your September visit.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
It depends completely on what suits you. I personally prefer Davidson County but I'm younger, more into urban areas, interesting local eateries, cultural attractions, nightlife, etc. There are some great neighborhoods in Davidson County that'll rival anything you'll find in Williamson County - Belle Meade, Forrest Hill, Green Hills, Sylvan Park, Lockeland Springs, Hillsboro Village, Germantown, etc. etc. If you're into a slower, suburban way of life then Williamson County will be more your cup of tea. You may want to check out the other counties as well if you find time on your September visit.
Completely agree with you ariesjow, I prefer being able to walk or be close proximity to parks, restaurants, entertainment and shopping and not have to get into a car to access anything at all. I did my time in the burbs, it's either near the city or in the country from now on. I too appreciate the unique stores, restaurants, and shops that are opening up more and more as people are moving back to the inner ring neighborhoods. Chain restaurants/stores have their place (usually reliable/dependable service quality) but to only have those choices (located in a sea/maze strip malls usually) is truly depressing to me. If I can find these same places (with mostly the same products/food) in most every major city in the US then what makes my neighborhood unique or special? Also add in the subdivisions where the houses are made by the same builder during the same time period surrounded by the those endless strip malls and it just doesn't do anything for me...but to each their own. Guess I'm just discovering why people settled the original neighborhoods to begin with before cheap oil and extreme car dependency allowed outward and outward development. Anyway not trying to be political, but to those of you who automatically say that Williamson Co. is a no brainer, well it, the Cool Springs area (and anything sprawlishly built like that), and the once trendy, out of porportion McMansions (many on tiny lots) built on former farm land is a mild form of hell for some of us, but everyone has an opinion. That being said, there are some truly great people who live in the burbs and it seems be a great place to raise a family. Also the actual town of Franklin is very charming, it's just many things that have been built around it, in my opinion, not so charming. Anyway just depends what you like. Good luck wherever you choose and Middle Tennessee in general is a very friendly area.

Last edited by yank283; 07-11-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 AM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times
I do think it's important to give future residents of the metro a substantive discussion of their options rather than our blanket opinions of areas. Simply cheerleading "Williamson County is best" doesn't help a person that has specifically asked for pros and cons of both areas. We must all remember that we're not choosing a neighborhood for ourselves but helping a person find a neighborhood that will be right for them.

That said, I could have done a better job myself at providing a breakdown of the two counties so I'll make another attempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeardslady View Post
My wish list: 1990 or newer home 2000 sq ft or more on a 1/2 acre (preferably single story w/porch) located in a well maintained area. Shopping and medical w/in 15 miles, some nightlife/entertainment, parks or lakes, and access to a freeway w/in 3-5 miles. School proximity is not an issue for us, but definitely like some culture or artistic influence. Don't need to get my nails done weekly, but hubby does like to hunt a bit.. Currently live on a cul-de-sac where neighbors wave when they drive into their garages, and thats all you see of them until the next drive by, so would like a more neighborly feel to my surroundings.. don't want to wind up in the middle of no-where, but don't want to look into my neighbors windows either.. Most importantly though, within a 10-15 mile radius to a good Bible teaching non-denominational church (currently attending Calvary Chapel locally and watching Grace Chapel in Leipers Fork/Franklin via the internet). Thanks!!
You'll be able to find numerous neighborhoods in both counties which will suit just about all your needs mentioned here. Finding a church certainly won't be a big problem here in either counties. Here are some pros and cons:

Davidson County (Nashville)
Neutral:
-Second most populous county in TN (but will be significantly less people than anywhere in SoCal at about 620,000 residents).
-Most varied mix of neighborhoods in the metro (many urban, suburban and rural neighborhoods).
- Arguably the most politically progressive county in the state; tends to vote Democratic but will probably still seem more moderate (probably even conservative) compared to even suburban SoCal.

Pros:
- As expected, unmatched in the metro when it comes to cultural and entertainment options (TPAC, Nashville Symphony, Cheekwood, Second/Broadway, Midtown, the Gulch, etc.)
- Tons of shopping and restaurant options throughout the county. Anything you want will be here somewhere.
- Really impressive and varied list of upscale neighborhoods both urban and suburban in nature.

Cons:
- Also as expected, certain areas of Davidson County are the considered the most crime-plagued in the Nashville metro. These can be easily avoided with some research.
- Traffic can be a problem depending on where you live (but, again, probably small beans compared to what you experienced in SoCal).
- Most exclusive neighborhoods are going to cost you some $$$.

Williamson County
Neutral:
- Highest per capita income in the state.
- Suburban and rural in nature with Franklin and Brentwood being the most popular towns.
- Tends of vote primarily Republican and is considered a conservative stronghold in Middle Tennessee.

Pros:
- Cool Springs area seems to be a big lure - lots of corporate relocations and good shopping options.
- Depending on where you live, it's a relatively short drive into Nashville's entertainment options compared to other parts of the metro.
- Historic Downtown Franklin is quaint and quite picturesque.

Cons:
- The most desirable areas tend to be expensive so perhaps less home for your dollar.
- You will have to drive into Nashville for many cultural activities.
- Cool Springs traffic can be surprisingly frustrating for a suburban enclave (again, probably nothing compared to SoCal).

It may be helpful to even have a more definitive idea of what kind of neighborhood you're looking for so we can point you in the right directions for your visit. If you prefer suburban areas in nature, you might really also want to check out Wilson, Sumner and Rutherford Counties. Judging by your price cap ($350,000.00), you'd likely be able to get more bang for your bucks in places like Hendersonville or Mt, Juliet than you would in the most hyped areas of Davidson and Williamson County. I am not sure what kind of shopping you're searching for but all these counties are booming and have built large, lifestyle centers within the past few years.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 PM

76 posts, read 227,575 times
Default Thanks for all your input...

I'm definitely going to keep all this in mind.. I think we may rent for a while before actually deciding to purchase. I'm hopeful that will help us make a final decision. This move has been already 3 years in the making.. when hubby is able to retire we won't waste much time getting there!! Hopefully we'll be able to sell the property we purchased in Quebeck, and then it will be smooth sailing!! Thanks again!!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:53 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Quote:
we'll be able to sell the property we purchased in Quebeck, and then it will be smooth sailing!! Thanks again!!
Ça va dire Québec?

Sorry, as a Francophone I could not resist.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Quote:
I'm definitely going to keep all this in mind.. I think we may rent for a while before actually deciding to purchase. I'm hopeful that will help us make a final decision.
Smart thinking. Your wish list and price range gives you lots of options, and having a few months to drive around, hang out and get the feel of the various areas will be invaluable.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
If you want to give up the 1/2 acre requirement, you might look at Westhaven | Franklin | Brentwood | Nashville | New Homes. It is a very active community with a full-spectrum of ages from young families to empty nesters. The empty nesters have lots of different activities going on.... All the houses have porches and it is becoming more walkable as more stores and restaurants fill in the town center.

It is very close to Leiper's Fork and historic downtown Franklin too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville