Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 19,052 times

Advertisements

I'm making a move from Chicago to Nashville. I'm about to make an offer on a house in Inglewood. I know what my Realtor is telling me, but I'm looking for some additional information. What is your sense of what the market is like in Inglewood/Riverwoods/East Nashville? Are single-family homes selling at list price? How long are they staying on the market? How quickly are they closing? Is it a buyer's market or a seller's market?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
I live in Inglewood, and many of the homes in my neighborhood don't stay on the market long.

What part of I'wood are you looking at?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 47,966 times
Default Also moving from Chicago to Nashvegas

Hi nosnow, my husband and i are also in Chicago with our condo up for sale by owner. We have plans to move back to Nashville area as that is where we are from. We were thinking Inglewood as well,, but my husband said that the area is pretty bad. Heither he nor I have ben back and actually driven around the area lately, we just remember it the way it was a while ago. I have been researching on sites like this and also villagerealestate.com and doing searchs to try to gauge the different markets in the east nashville, inglewood area. It seems as though east nashville was a hot bed for a while but that people are getting "greedy" and listing for more than what they are worth, and doing quick flips. Inglewood seems to be moving quickly to,, but the rates are lower. Inglewood seem to be running right around $95 to $100 psqft. East Nashville tends to have larger homes,, but about $130-$150 psqft (all of these numbers are just from my own notes and they will vary depending on what size house you are looking for, of course). We are making a trip down over July 4th,, I will try to report back as to what we find. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Chicago to Nashville

Hi jchiocha,

In what neighborhood do you live in in Chicago? I've been back to Nashville a lot lately (including last week) and I think Inglewood might compare to Albany Park or West Rogers Park, in terms of safety and neighborhood mix (not housing stock or commercial/residential mix). I do have friends who live in Inglewood. Lochland Springs might be more like the area where Andersonville meets Uptown. And, Hillsboro Village would compare to Southport or Lincoln Square.

My impression (and, if people on this board think I am wrong, tell me) is that the closer you are to Gallatin Road, the more transient type behaviors you might experience, than if you are closer to the river. Closer to Gallatin Road are more rentals (not that there is anything wrong with renting, but, you'll have higher turnover and possibly people who aren't as emotionally invested in their property), etc. My friends who live in Inglewood say that over the last 4 years they've seen more neighbors who are making an effort to know each other and watch out for each other. But, certainly, they say the exercise caution and awareness of their surroundings in ways my friends in Hillsboro Village or Crieve Hall do not.

What is making you decide to move from Chicago?

Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 47,966 times
Hey nosnow,, We currently have a condo in the Lakeview area. We LOVE Chicago, and if we had all the money in the world we would choose to stay here,, but when we go back home and see our friends and what you can get for such small amount of money it makes you think. We want to have an outdoor kitchen and a small yard someday and we also have family and friends in N'ville. Not to mention, the summers are longer and the winters are shorter there! I think you are right about the Gallatin Rd. theory. It also seems that there have been more and more houses being bought in the inglewood area that are being rehabbed and sold. But they are the smaller ones. The East N'ville area used to be a great deal, but so many flippers have bought the houses and have done shoddy jobs on the rehabs and then are asking $150 per sqft,, that is crazy. It does seem that Nashville is trying to encourage "down town living" in that the houses closer to dt are starting to see some of a demand...but I have not seen grocery stores, etc. going up in the dt area.
People say that Cleveland park in East N'ville is the next hot area,, but it is still really sketchy over there.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM

142 posts, read 637,992 times
I keep hearing about how Cleveland Park is "up and coming," from EVERYONE I talk to. Gotta be a pioneer though...some parts (we're looking at N 2nd) are really rough.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 AM

29 posts, read 125,594 times
I've lived in Inglewood for 13 years. When we moved into the neighborhood, people at work were scared to come into our area, oddly enough we've never had any problems living here and feel very safe (with the exception of the fast cars that drive in front of our street). Now the area has been greatly remodeled and become THE trendy place to live so many of the homes have been purchased and remodeled, businesses that were rundown remodeled and more to come. I believe many of the city council folks and real estate agents live in our area. That being said, I'd still be very leary of living in some areas just a few blocks away from where I live. CLoser to the river you get a very upscale area called Brush Hill that people love, my street is very nice middle class (people say hi and keep their lawns nice). Then you go over to Lockland which is a mile or two away and It really used to be all junky rental homes but now is where the expensive homes are, I've seen the prices on these houses range from 300-650,000. It is a hit and miss area. I definately would avoid the several blocks close Galatin Road. I think people give our area a bad name, but personally I'd rather live here than in Franklin and Brentwood, which is just suberbia to the max. It really depends on what you are looking for. Rosebank is a nice little elementary, but you are also close to several magnet schools which are great. Our boys currently goto Lockland Design Center and our daughter just graduated from Hume Fogg. Only Davidson country residents can send their kids to the Magnet schools which I think are the best in the state.

Do you know what streets you are looking for homes in Inglewood?

There are a lot of homes for sale, Some do stay on the market quite a bit even though they look nice, I think everyone is taking advantage of the jump in market prices and asking outrageous prices. You often see "reduced" after a while.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:26 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
I've lived in Inglewood for 13 years. When we moved into the neighborhood, people at work were scared to come into our area, oddly enough we've never had any problems living here and feel very safe (with the exception of the fast cars that drive in front of our street).
I lived in Inglewood for a year back in the early 80's. I lived in an area that was pretty nice. I never had any problem there either, and almost everyone I met was nice and everyone got along. That was the year it got down to 18 below zero. My Honda Accord was one of the few cars that would start and I went around jump starting other people's cars in the apartment complex I lived at. However, there were some area within a short drive that I wouldn't have wanted to live at the time.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks, Rob_H, That is very helpful.
The two houses that I wanted, but didn't get (both sold v. fast) were Brush Hill/Riverwood houses.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnow View Post
I'm making a move from Chicago to Nashville. I'm about to make an offer on a house in Inglewood. I know what my Realtor is telling me, but I'm looking for some additional information. What is your sense of what the market is like in Inglewood/Riverwoods/East Nashville? Are single-family homes selling at list price? How long are they staying on the market? How quickly are they closing? Is it a buyer's market or a seller's market?
Thanks.
Its a buyers market and overated--go to Brentwood,tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville