Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 PM

81 posts, read 288,149 times

Advertisements

How old are the kids? Spring Hill is nice, they are expanding I-65 so the commute should improve in a year or so. I-65 south out of nashville is a pretty good commute until you hit route 96, then it bottlenecks. The biggest concern I would have is the new high school if your kid is going into 9th or 10th grade. Williamson county starts new high schools with 9th and 10th grades then adds a new grade each year. The programs won't be fully in place for a few years.

Also, not that anyone really thinks this will happen, but they announced plans last week for a new amusement park, hotel, waterpark, stadium (did I leave anything out?) complex in spring hill...but seems that no one involved has any actual money. Might want to check the plans for that just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 PM

27 posts, read 77,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2TN View Post
We moved to Mount Juliet from Nassau County, NY after two years of looking around. From my perspective I wanted to get away from that constant traffic battle and ended up in Mount Juliet. We absolutely love it here! There is plenty to do and we have everything you could possibly want or need at Providence and we are close to everything. The schools are Wilson County and are terrific! My husband commutes to Nashville everyday.

I think everyone is right on this thread. It depends what YOU want. We felt that the other areas had much more traffic in and out of Nashville (or at least more miles of it) and just more congestion around town.

So rent if you can - then you can investigate each area for yourself and end up where you truly want to be.
We are considering mount Juliet as well, we have 2 boys 10 & 7 so schools are very important! Also, we are catholic and I was wondering if we would be the odd man out since it seems as though Catholics are in the minority down there. We are looking for a very family oriented community with lots of kids and a community pool, activities etc... We have looked at Hendersonville and Franklin so far and they are also on the top of our list. Any input would be appreciated. Not that anyone's religious beliefs matter but we really want our catholic kids to be accepted!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoTN View Post
We are considering mount Juliet as well, we have 2 boys 10 & 7 so schools are very important! Also, we are catholic and I was wondering if we would be the odd man out since it seems as though Catholics are in the minority down there. We are looking for a very family oriented community with lots of kids and a community pool, activities etc... We have looked at Hendersonville and Franklin so far and they are also on the top of our list. Any input would be appreciated. Not that anyone's religious beliefs matter but we really want our catholic kids to be accepted!
Hendersonville has a fairly sizable Catholic population and is home to Pope John Paul II school.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoTN View Post
Even though the area is dominated by Southern Baptists, the Catholics actually have a pretty sizable group here. There are a number of parishes and a well-established Parochial school system and two high schools (one in Hendersonville, one in Oak Hill).

I don't think your family or children will feel like outcasts being Catholic. Some people can be judgmental, but it's not the norm. I doubt you'll have any problems.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
I grew up in Hendersonville in the 1970s and a Catholic. I never heard a single insult for my religion... ever. The mayor of the town was even Catholic.

My parents are very involved in their parish (It's a very strong parish). My children and I attended church with them on Easter. Granted it was the most important Christian holy day, but also, the number of people were spilling out of the large sanctuary. My parents had said that the parish is already planning an expansion... and that there are over 4000 families (that's families!), meaning there are probably closer to 9,000 actual members of that parish. In a county of over 160,000, I think that parish is one of only three, but they are all growing quickly. I don't know a thing about Wilson County... maybe someone can give you perspective. I recall seeing an article in the Tennessee Register (state's Catholic weekly newspaper) that there are about 180,000 Catholics in the midstate region, an area of 2 million people. So that's less than 10%, but they are mostly in the urban/suburban areas. Although, I know all the major towns in the midstate have at least one parish.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,945 times
Concur with the previous statements, as I'm not Catholic but am married to one. There are enough Catholics that there's no overt anti-Catholic here, although that's no guarantee that some individual somewhere won't try to convince you that Baptists are better.

NJ2TN: In Mt. Juliet specifically, St. Stephen's is large and active, and the schools on this end of the county are pretty good. But if you want Catholic schools for your kids -- not because the public schools aren't good, but just because you want that environment -- Mt. Juliet isn't very convenient for daily access to those schools. We have friends here who started out sending their son to Holy Rosary but quickly tired of the commute and he's in one of the MJ public schools now.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Concur with the previous statements, as I'm not Catholic but am married to one. There are enough Catholics that there's no overt anti-Catholic here, although that's no guarantee that some individual somewhere won't try to convince you that Baptists are better.

NJ2TN: In Mt. Juliet specifically, St. Stephen's is large and active, and the schools on this end of the county are pretty good. But if you want Catholic schools for your kids -- not because the public schools aren't good, but just because you want that environment -- Mt. Juliet isn't very convenient for daily access to those schools. We have friends here who started out sending their son to Holy Rosary but quickly tired of the commute and he's in one of the MJ public schools now.
Actually my kids go to Catholic school up here in NJ and we are really hoping to have them go to public school when we move to TN. Our top towns are Franklin and Hendersonville right now, only because those are the only ones we've actually seen so far. We are coming down in June and hope to explore Mount Juliet as well. We would love to hear any input on what areas to check out. Willoughby Station keeps popping up a lot on our home search, any input??? Thanks so much!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
I grew up in Hendersonville in the 1970s and a Catholic. I never heard a single insult for my religion... ever. The mayor of the town was even Catholic.

My parents are very involved in their parish (It's a very strong parish). My children and I attended church with them on Easter. Granted it was the most important Christian holy day, but also, the number of people were spilling out of the large sanctuary. My parents had said that the parish is already planning an expansion... and that there are over 4000 families (that's families!), meaning there are probably closer to 9,000 actual members of that parish. In a county of over 160,000, I think that parish is one of only three, but they are all growing quickly. I don't know a thing about Wilson County... maybe someone can give you perspective. I recall seeing an article in the Tennessee Register (state's Catholic weekly newspaper) that there are about 180,000 Catholics in the midstate region, an area of 2 million people. So that's less than 10%, but they are mostly in the urban/suburban areas. Although, I know all the major towns in the midstate have at least one parish.
Which parish is this in Hendersonville? Looking there as well. Do you still live in the area? We looked at Hendersonville the last time we were down that way and are coming back in June to look some more, any input is much appreciated!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM

24 posts, read 53,088 times
Hi,

So just wanted to give a quick update and ask a couple more questions. Looks like the job will be on Church Street/Commerce Street in Nashville. I can do up to a 45 min commute if necessary. I've been doing more research and I like Lebanon & Mt. Juliet the most on paper. Hendersonville looks okay but I want to be near the shopping centers. There are many new builds in those areas. Does anyone have any info on Centex (Spence creek & Creekside) and Fox Ridge? To answer other questions my kids are elementary and middle school aged, I definitely want them to go to public school, even though they attend catholic school here. We still plan on coming and visiting the area first before, maybe at the end of the summer. With all this flooding and tornado activity my husband is like how far is Memphis from Nashville, how far is Mississippi, how much is flood insurance, make sure the house is on a hill!! This weather is crazy!! Thanks alot!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSMEMRSJ View Post
Hi,

So just wanted to give a quick update and ask a couple more questions. Looks like the job will be on Church Street/Commerce Street in Nashville. I can do up to a 45 min commute if necessary. I've been doing more research and I like Lebanon & Mt. Juliet the most on paper. Hendersonville looks okay but I want to be near the shopping centers. There are many new builds in those areas. Does anyone have any info on Centex (Spence creek & Creekside) and Fox Ridge? To answer other questions my kids are elementary and middle school aged, I definitely want them to go to public school, even though they attend catholic school here. We still plan on coming and visiting the area first before, maybe at the end of the summer. With all this flooding and tornado activity my husband is like how far is Memphis from Nashville, how far is Mississippi, how much is flood insurance, make sure the house is on a hill!! This weather is crazy!! Thanks alot!
Hendersonville has most of the same shopping options as Mt Juliet and Lebanon minus the Outlet Mall. Plus it's much closer to a major mall (Rivergate) with Macy's, Dillard's, Abercrombie, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville