Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM

15 posts, read 24,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrkrs View Post
We've had an AFS student from France live with us. We never intended on having an exchange student, but my daughter befriended her at school and she would come over occasionally. Halfway through the school year, her host family situation went downhill and we volunteered to be her host family. The application process wasn't too bad. We had to ask a few people to fill out reference forms for us.

Overall, it was a good experience but it helped that we already knew the student beforehand. I've known several families & exchange students who didn't have good experiences--mainly caused by differences in values & morals or teenagers who don't want to be around the family.

AFS does have a good support system in place and they do home visits to try to work out any problems or concerns throughout the year. Our AFS liaison would take our student to activities where she could meet with other exchange students. I know she worked extensively with the other host family to try & work out the problems before removing our student from their home. Another positive thing about AFS is that you have a long list of students to choose from. They have pictures & bios on each of them so you could choose one who does like sports.

I do not know anyone from AFS locally. We lived in another state when we were a host family.

On the negative side, it was quite expensive for us. The students get a monthly stipend but it wasn't enough to cover additional travel expenses or eating out frequently like we do. It felt strange asking her to pay for her meal separately in a restaurant so we always took care of the bill. We took her to New Orleans & Pensacola, Florida and we paid for everything on those trips. She bought her own souvenirs but that was about it.

It was a good experience but I wasn't ready to host another student the next year.
You bring up a good point about the student paying their own way. I would feel uncomfortable also if we went out to eat (which we frequently do) and ask her/him to pay for their own meal. Like you, that is just something we would not do.
And we travel too - quite a bit - so that was another thing I brought up to my husband, to make sure he was comfortable with the student going everywhere we go, having to pay for their flights, etc.
We can afford to --- but are we willing to do that if we end up not enjoying their company?
On the other hand, my entire neighborhood is excited about the prospect of having another teen around. We're pretty active, and we've got a lot of support if the student 'gets bored' without another student living under the same roof. I know many kids that have either done this or know family's that have just not around here in Nashville. It seems that even if the family has a ton of kids living in the house - often times they don't end up 'hanging out' anyhow.
I'm thinking about it and reading about it and talking about it to others.
We shall see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:41 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I just read on the AFS website that you COULD host TWO students which means they would be there for each other! Or that you can be a "Welcome Family" just for 6 to 8 weeks to give it a try. It really does sound like fun BUT you do want to get a student with the same temperment/interests that you have. Do you speak any other languages?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I just read on the AFS website that you COULD host TWO students which means they would be there for each other! Or that you can be a "Welcome Family" just for 6 to 8 weeks to give it a try. It really does sound like fun BUT you do want to get a student with the same temperment/interests that you have. Do you speak any other languages?
Oh my gosh! WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!
I would absolutely LOVE to host 2!
We both speak other languages!
I want to kiss you!
THANK YOU!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Default Mwah!

Ah shucks . . . . thanks for the kiss! Just keep me in mind for the CMA's in case "Jacques" or "Wolfgang" aren't in to country music!

Let us know how it goes . . . I'd be more than happy to go back to high school and live at your house for a year. I even speak a little German. Ya Ya!

All the best!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Ah shucks . . . . thanks for the kiss! Just keep me in mind for the CMA's in case "Jacques" or "Wolfgang" aren't in to country music!

Let us know how it goes . . . I'd be more than happy to go back to high school and live at your house for a year. I even speak a little German. Ya Ya!

All the best!
We're in and we're excited!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 AM

228 posts, read 528,645 times
Can we vote for 55south & CountryGirl2b= to host a Nashville CD Forum meetup yet or what??!? You guys are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville