Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM

14 posts, read 41,460 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My purse was stolen last week, and the trickiest issue has been the replacement of my California driver's license. They are mailing a temporary license, but California requires me to show up in person to get a real replacement. What I need to do is get my driving record, and then apply for a Tennessee license (I recently got my first paycheck, so I can apply for residency now).

The California DMV requires me to mail in a form if I want the driving record sent to me, which they say will take 7-10 days processing time. They said they could fax the record within a day to a Tennessee DMV, but ONLY if the DMV is the one to contact California. After calling drivers license services for Davidson County and waiting on hold for a half hour, I was told by the associate I spoke to that Tennessee DMVs will not call other DMVs, even though I was told the County Clerk's office has a fax number and can receive the driving record.

Do you think it would it be worth trying to stop by the County Clerk's office (I assume this is where I would go) in person (with my police documentation?) and seeing if someone would be willing to make the phone call? This has already been an incredibly frustrating process, so I would be hesitant about going to the office if I was just going to sit around for ages in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Roger,

Do you have proof of identity? (See link below for what is require, you need a couple)

New Residents

If you do, I would make an appt with the DMV to get your license. I did not have to show up with my driving record. Trust me. They already have it.

When I first moved here I turned left on a green light, thinking it was an arrow (apparently it changes depending on time of day). The nice policeman I turned IN FRONT OF, pulled me over, asked for my license . . and eventually came back and told me I had a 'clean record' and told me to be more careful.

IF you have ID and the police report, seems to me that via your social security number the TN DMV can find your record and DL number.

I went to the Willimason County license place around 9AM and really only waited for about 10 minutes.

Although the people in the Clerks office are very nice in general, I personally don't think you need your driving record to apply for a license.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 AM

14 posts, read 41,460 times
The only current identification I have right now is a school ID. I have an expired passport (2009), and a photocopy of my old license.

I suppose I could wait until the temporary license arrives in the mail, but that won't have a picture ID on it...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I see where you are coming from with the driving record which has to be certified? But it also says "other acceptible ID" which I would read to mean a birth certificate. You would need that anyway to show proof of US citizenship as an expired passport will not work. You also need your social security card. I'm not totally sure but I would think if you have your birth certificate you don't need the copy of your driving record. Worth a try?

Sure does seem like a huge hassle and I'm sorry your purse was stolen.

New residents and returning residents who need to exchange the license from their former state of residence must present:
  • Your current license (or certified copy of driving record or other acceptable ID).
    (The certified copy of your driving record, known as a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR), must be an original (no photocopies) and issued no more than 30 days prior to your Tennessee application date.)
  • Proof of name change, such as original certified court order, marriage certificate, or divorce decree.
  • Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with your name and resident address - NO P.O. BOXES (Documents must be current. Must be dated within last 4 months.)
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Proof of authorized stay or temporary legal presence in the United States
  • A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security number has been issued.
  • All new or returning residents must take a Tennessee vision screening at the driver service center. There are certain exceptions for commercial driver license holders.
  • New or returning residents whose out of state license has been expired for more than six months must take the Tennessee knowledge test, road skills test, and vision screening.
  • All new or returning residents must surrender their out-of-state license at time of application for Tennessee license. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to hold more than one valid driver license or ID (only foreign country licenses/IDs may be retained).
PLEASE NOTE: All documents are subject to verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to further verification may delay the issuance of your permit, driver license, or identification only license.
No photocopies will be accepted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville