Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:06 PM

72 posts, read 167,687 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a small town in S. Carolina and we just love it here. We moved here several years ago to get away from the cold weather, high taxes, and horrible traffic of the Chicago area. So why am I writing on the Nashville forum??!!! Well, to tell you the truth, we are thinking we may have moved too far south....too far away from our family members and friends up in northern Illinois and Indiana. It is a two day drive for all of us to see each other. And our little grandchildren refuse to be strapped in their carseats for that long. Also, our children think where we live now is boring. There really isn't much to do around here other than play golf or tennis. The shopping is horrible. But we do have a Publix!

So we have been thinking about maybe moving as far north as Tennessee in a few years when my husband retires. Franklin seems to be in an ideal location for us....right ON I-65 and also quite close to the Nashville airport as well. We could easily drive up to Chicago to visit our grandchildren in a day. And Franklin doesn't sound boring at all!

I have been reading lots of the threads about Franklin, and you all have answered most of my questions and I thank you very much! We are planning to spend a night and part of a day in Franklin at the end of November, so I will wait to ask the rest of my questions until after our visit. But I would like to know if you have any restaurant suggestions for dinner? We would like to dine somewhere that is unique and NOT A CHAIN. I heard about a place called Bunganut Pig Restaurant! Is the food good there??? Surely that is not a chain! And how is the food at the Franklin Chop House? Any other suggestions? We will be tired and will not want to get all dressed up.

One more question for now: Does anybody have an idea what the monthly HOA fees would be for the Westhaven community? I think we can afford their smallest townhouses, but all those ammenities must be lots of $$$$$ I'm thinking. Just curious. My husband informed me the other day that he is getting very sick of doing yard work, so a condo and no yard will probably be what we buy when the time comes. I think we will take a look at Westhaven, Willowsprings and Ashton Park while we are there. Saw a couple of nice townhouses on Realtracs that are in the Morningside community, but they don't have garages, just carports. Not sure I am ready for a senior community anyway. I still feel young and love to be around young people!

That's all for now! Mr. Doesn't-want-to-do-yardwork-anymore is hungry, so I guess I better head out to the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
HOA fees on the condos are $450/quarter but that includes cable and the amentities.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:33 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Lina Girl View Post
But I would like to know if you have any restaurant suggestions for dinner? We would like to dine somewhere that is unique and NOT A CHAIN. I heard about a place called Bunganut Pig Restaurant! Is the food good there??? Surely that is not a chain! And how is the food at the Franklin Chop House? Any other suggestions? We will be tired and will not want to get all dressed up.
What type of food do you like? And will the kids be with you?

No, the Bunganut Pig isn't a chain...but I haven't eaten there, so I couldn't tell you how good it really is.

My suggestion would be to drive to downtown Franklin, park, and walk around for a little bit and decide where to eat. Parking is free (nice perk for a reasonably well traveled downtown area) even in the public garage. Franklin Mercantile (on 4th, just off of Main) is casual, inexpensive, and pretty good in my book. You might also try Puckett's on the other side of 4th (near Merridee's). McCreary's is a local Irish pub in downtown...but still family friendly. I wouldn't completely rule out the Mellow Mushroom on the square. It's a chain (out of Georgia) but serves good tasting pizza (definitely not Chicago or New York style, though) and kids seem to love it.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Yep, I would choose Puckett's over the Pig. You might also catch some live music while you're there.

I used to go to the Chop House a lot years ago, and it was always good. Haven't been in a while, though. I've been to Puckett's twice recently and it was good.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
For me the Franklin Chop House was nothing unique. Pucketts is unique and gives a good flavor for the ever popular 'Meat & 3" (or 2, or 1).

We moved down here from Connecticut and noticed that there are a lot of carports. The car is probably just as happy in a carport, more fresh air, etc. But we really would miss the extra STORAGE in the garage.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Thank you, everybody, for answering my questions! We will probably try Puckett's for dinner. It sounds very interesting and unique! Not too many restaurants are also grocery stores. While we are waiting for our dinner we can shop for snacks to eat in the car during the long trip back to South Carolina the next day! We are really looking forward to seeing Franklin in a few weeks. I hope the weather stays warm....my husband is worried about your long, snowy winters (compared to what we have grown accustomed to down here).

Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I wouldn't call our winters long and snowy. If we're lucky, we get one good snow per year. Usually it's in the 30s/40s and sometimes rainy.

Williamson County is an amazing place to live, whatever time of year.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I wouldn't call our winters long and snowy. If we're lucky, we get one good snow per year. Usually it's in the 30s/40s and sometimes rainy.

Williamson County is an amazing place to live, whatever time of year.
I grew up in Wisconsin, so I KNOW the winters in Franklin are just fine....nothing to worry about! Besides, we'll be retired. If the roads are slippery we can stay home. It will be worth it to put up with a little Winter if we can see our loved ones up north more than once or twice a year! I can live with 30's and 40's and one good snow a year. Thanks again for the info.. I hope we end up liking Williamson County as much as you do.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
For me the Franklin Chop House was nothing unique. Pucketts is unique and gives a good flavor for the ever popular 'Meat & 3" (or 2, or 1).

We moved down here from Connecticut and noticed that there are a lot of carports. The car is probably just as happy in a carport, more fresh air, etc. But we really would miss the extra STORAGE in the garage.

Enjoy your visit!
Thank you, Country Girl! I'm sure we will. I've printed a bunch of Google maps and glued them all together and marked everything I want to see on my new map of Franklin. It sure is spread out!

I didn't mean to sound so against carports; there was a time, maybe 35 years ago, when I would have given my left arm to have a carport for our cars. But after all those years of having garages and basements where we could store all our stuff, a 2 car garage is a MUST!

Where in Connecticut did you live? We were in Vernon for quite a few years. I hear the area has really changed and there is a great mall nearby now. It looks to me as though Franklin has wonderful shopping and lots to do. And if Franklin doesn't have it, I'm sure Nashville does! Thank you so much for all of your help.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM

216 posts, read 346,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Lina Girl View Post
My husband and I live in a small town in S. Carolina and we just love it here. .
Hi, I'm just curious how long of a drive it is from where you're at in SC to Franklin/Nashville. My dad lives in Rock hill, SC and my wife and I will be moving to Nashville area sometime this next year. I'm curious to know, from someone who's done the drive, as to how far apart we'll be.

Thanks Lina Girl,

Andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville