Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Metro has some very good high schools, but they are mostly magnets and very competitive. I think the non-magnet with the best reputation is Hillsboro but that is also the most expensive zoning in Nashville. Outside of Nashville Williamson County schools have a good reputation. Brentwood and Ravenwood seem to send the most to elite colleges if you want to use that as a guide, but they are also again the priciest real estate in Williamson county, Franklin, Centennial, Page and Independece are all strong high schools. Summit is brand new this year and will be adding 11th grade in the fall (no 12th grade).

I don't know much about the other suburbs, but Rutherford and Sumner counties usually get strong reviews.

So much of a child's education is dependent upon the parents at home though. Maybe I'm overly confident, but I'm sure my kids would do well in any school I send them to because they have to educated parents who care about education and emphasize its importance. FWIW my law school roommate graduated from a podunk county that is never mentioned when discussing schools on this forum and yet he went Vandy for undergrad and a top law school.
This is a pretty good summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
What makes you think Hillsboro is the best non-magnent in metro??? I don't understand why people say this with no proof, just basing it off of the area its in...Trust me, its no better, at all, than the rest of them...
Are you implying that they are all more or less the same? Because I would strongly disagree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
This is a pretty good summary.

Are you implying that they are all more or less the same? Because I would strongly disagree with that.
What I am saying is that Hillsboro is not any better than any other Metro school as some people make it out to be. Yes Hillsboro does have an IB program, but that consist of only about 40 or so students located on one part of the school...The rest of Hillsboro is made up of all types of students, including special ed., just like every other school. They have discipline problems, a bit more than some of the other schools. It is an open enrollement school, meaning anyone from metro can attend there because they have space since the students living in the immediate zoned area do not attend. The portion of the zone where the students do attend come from Edge Hills projects and areas around there and parts of West Nashville just south of the Nations area...Test scores, Hillsboro's test scores are not any higher than any other school. Last year they just made AYP after 3+ years of not making it and actualy just went back into Target status...Teachers- the teachers there are no more certified than any other metro teacher....I know this information because I have taught at Hillsboro and still work for Metro. Not saying it is a horrible school or anything but it is not so great that people make it out to be, just because it's in Green Hills. There are just successful students and good teachers at Maplewood, Pearl Cohn, and Glencliff and all the others, they just don't get the credit they deserve simply because of their locations.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
There are just successful students and good teachers at Maplewood, Pearl Cohn, and Glencliff and all the others, they just don't get the credit they deserve simply because of their locations.
There are successful students and teachers at almost every school. That doesn't put them on par with Hillsboro as far as overall achievement.

Hillsboro may not be what it used to be in terms of reputation...but it's not in the same mix as the schools you mentioned.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

126 posts, read 327,065 times
How good a school is and how a child performs has nothing to do with the intelligence of a parent. Davidson County Schools are not bad. I have a child in DC Schools. I do believe that parental involvement in the school via PTO is important to the success of any school.

Like any parent I want the best educational opportunity for my child, I would suggest not relying on this board and visiting schools and talking with parents that have kids in the schools. Most schools in Nashville have an open door policy for visitors. I did this before my son started Kindergarten. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 14,534 times
Thanks so much mlp206!
I am planning on that I just want to get some insight Thanks for your help.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
There are successful students and teachers at almost every school. That doesn't put them on par with Hillsboro as far as overall achievement.

Hillsboro may not be what it used to be in terms of reputation...but it's not in the same mix as the schools you mentioned.
When is the last time you have been to Hillsboro??? Are we talking about the same school? Have they rezoned or something completely different recently?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
How good a school is and how a child performs has nothing to do with the intelligence of a parent. Davidson County Schools are not bad. I have a child in DC Schools. I do believe that parental involvement in the school via PTO is important to the success of any school.

Like any parent I want the best educational opportunity for my child, I would suggest not relying on this board and visiting schools and talking with parents that have kids in the schools. Most schools in Nashville have an open door policy for visitors. I did this before my son started Kindergarten. Best of luck to you.
I agree, there is really no Nashville school that is just gone to the dogs. Davidson County schools have a lot more variables to deal with than the surrounding, which to me makes them the harder workers. (speaking of teachers, staff, etc.)

Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
While it didn't make the list last year, Hillsboro has made appearances on the list of the country's best high schools on several occasions. I would definitely rank it first among the non-magnet high schools in Nashville.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
When is the last time you have been to Hillsboro??? Are we talking about the same school? Have they rezoned or something completely different recently?
You're really suggesting that Maplewood is more or less on par with Hillsboro?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
You're really suggesting that Maplewood is more or less on par with Hillsboro?
Actually Maplewood has made remarkabale turn arounds over the past 5 years under the leadership of Dr. Julie Wiliams, and currently still continuing to excell under the leadership of Ron Woodard. Maplewood actually made AYP during the past 5 years while Hillsboro didn't... And as far as school climate, behavior, etc. Hillsboro stacks right up there with everyone else, if not worse than a most. So again question, when was the last time you have actually been to and or worked at Hillsboro or even Maplewood to actually compare the two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville