Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM

147 posts, read 334,501 times

Advertisements

Antioch, don't answer this question if you're not comfortable doing so, but what exactly do you do? I only ask because you seem to have extensive knowledge of the Davidson county school system, so I would guess you're affiliated with it somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YallWantHam View Post
Antioch, don't answer this question if you're not comfortable doing so, but what exactly do you do? I only ask because you seem to have extensive knowledge of the Davidson county school system, so I would guess you're affiliated with it somehow.

Yes I am. I taught Special Ed. at Hillsboro and work with the band at Maplewood so I know both schools very well and keep up the statitics of the system, always have because both my parents are educators as well, dad is a retired assistant principal... most of my friends are in the field as wll. So the information I am giving is not just info that I'm assuming, it's information that I know...My Dad, and a friend actually worked at J.T. Moore Middle School, a feeder to Hillsboro, and both of them could not believe how it really was on the inside (academics, behavior, etc.), versus what the perception is of it on the outside due to the area it's in... Same goes for Hillsboro... Im just saying that Hillsboro is no better than any of the other Metro high schools, yes it has a good IB program, but that is a low percentage of the school... and my overall statement is that the surrounding county schools are no better than Metro's... their students go on to college and so on and are no better prepared than Metro students...

Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Yes I am. I taught Special Ed. at Hillsboro and work with the band at Maplewood so I know both schools very well and keep up the statitics of the system, always have because both my parents are educators as well, dad is a retired assistant principal... most of my friends are in the field as wll. So the information I am giving is not just info that I'm assuming, it's information that I know...My Dad, and a friend actually worked at J.T. Moore Middle School, a feeder to Hillsboro, and both of them could not believe how it really was on the inside (academics, behavior, etc.), versus what the perception is of it on the outside due to the area it's in... Same goes for Hillsboro... Im just saying that Hillsboro is no better than any of the other Metro high schools, yes it has a good IB program, but that is a low percentage of the school... and my overall statement is that the surrounding county schools are no better than Metro's... their students go on to college and so on and are no better prepared than Metro students...
I know somone is going to say there's no way I can know about Maplewood just by working with the band... Well let me clear that up before the question even comes up... Yes I can, I'm pratically with the students more than their regular teachers, starting in the summer, after school practices, trips, etc. so thats a lot of interaction with those studens over the past 8 years I have been there, along with info from the director who teaches there... but the way I personally determine the success of Maplewood is by how successful several of my former students are now as adults. Several have gone off to college and have done well for themselves. One former student is actually in law school now... yes she came from Maplewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville