Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM

138 posts, read 602,658 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are from Long Island.. lived here all our lives but I have been to Nashville and I like it a lot. I want to take my husband there to look at the Brentwood area. We may think of relocating eventually but wondered about what there is to do. Shopping, Restaurants, Schools.

We have two children 9 and 12 and both involved in sports and activities. Moving children at this age may be difficult and that is our only dilemma but here in NY our taxes are 30K it's getting ridiculous.

Any info would be great.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM

265 posts, read 490,282 times
We moved to Brentwood when our kids were 14 and 10. Not the worst time to move kids, imo. And if they are into sports or other activities, that will be a great way to meet new friends.

Schools in Brentwood are excellent and compare very well nationally--Brentwood High made at least 2 of the "Top XXX" lists this year. We are actually moving to CT next year and are finding it challenging to match the educational opportunities and rigor of BHS--even in the top schools in CT and NY (we also looked at Westchester Cty).

Always lots to do in this area--but it will likely be a slower pace than what NY has. Not backward or bad, just different. Taxes & cost of living are so much less--you'll be shocked at what you are able to buy in Nashville for the same price as NY!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM

138 posts, read 602,658 times
Vandy, Thank you for the info. May I ask why you moved in the first place and why you are going to CT now?

I love LONG ISLAND but also have a different view these days especially of people. People here in NY are rude they always have been. I would miss the beach so much but would hopefully be able to come to LI in the summers and stay.

I'm very conflicted ... we are going in 2 weeks to look at Brentwood and see what we really think. Thanks for your thoughts

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,392,030 times
What exactly are you looking for in your move?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM

265 posts, read 490,282 times
We moved for me to attend grad school at Vanderbilt--which is a fabulous school! We are leaving because I am finishing my degree and the CT area is best for my spouse's job.

If you have any more specific questions before/after you visit just post!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,144,919 times
We live in Brentwood. Many of our neighbors have children. I think they are happy with the schools, which as Vandy-bound said are highly-ranked nationally.

Weather is very different than Mid-Atlantic -- summers are hotter, winters are often (surprisingly) cold - less snow, but chance of ice storms, torrential downpours with tornado risk are not uncommon in the spring (or summer sometimes - Nashville residents rescued from flash flood - Video on NBCNews.com)

Lots of shopping in Franklin at places like Cool Springs Mall and Green Hills, but mostly chain stores. You can find some independent stores in areas like Downtown Franklin or Nashville's Gulch neighborhood or East Nashville.

Not sure what kind of food you like in terms of restaurants. We used to live in NYC and I can say that New York has MUCH better Asian food. For instance, though other posters here and on Yelp may disagree, I think it is impossible to find high-quality authentic sushi in Nashville. (The closest good place is actually in Murfreesboro!) You'll also find much less in the way of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Italian, etc.

On the other hand, if you like BBQ, Southern food, Mexican and Middle Eastern then you should be fine.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,916,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
We live in Brentwood. Many of our neighbors have children. I think they are happy with the schools, which as Vandy-bound said are highly-ranked nationally.

Weather is very different than Mid-Atlantic -- summers are hotter, winters are often (surprisingly) cold - less snow, but chance of ice storms, torrential downpours with tornado risk are not uncommon in the spring (or summer sometimes - Nashville residents rescued from flash flood - Video on NBCNews.com)

Lots of shopping in Franklin at places like Cool Springs Mall and Green Hills, but mostly chain stores. You can find some independent stores in areas like Downtown Franklin or Nashville's Gulch neighborhood or East Nashville.

Not sure what kind of food you like in terms of restaurants. We used to live in NYC and I can say that New York has MUCH better Asian food. For instance, though other posters here and on Yelp may disagree, I think it is impossible to find high-quality authentic sushi in Nashville. (The closest good place is actually in Murfreesboro!) You'll also find much less in the way of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Italian, etc.

On the other hand, if you like BBQ, Southern food, Mexican and Middle Eastern then you should be fine.
OH cmon..we all know the waffle house off the 24 is the high water mark for fine dining!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 PM

192 posts, read 259,356 times
Brentwood is a pretty large area and you have to decide if you want the more northern Nashville side or the more laid back Franklin side, or you can live right by the Cool Springs mall in subdivisions. Franklin has a lot of youth support and Recreation areas and a downtown the kids can hang around safely in. It's about a 15 miles difference from one side to the other. "Brentioch" is closer to Nollensville road and a whole other thing than West Brentwood. You also didn't mention price. Brentwood High School is amazing, beautiful and very close to several Ymcas and rec centers for athletic kids, the kids will need cars by 15 years old though, no way for them to get around once they start getting really busy. If you can afford them there are incredible homes right across the street from the High school, probably in the 800s on up.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,392,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
Brentwood is a pretty large area and you have to decide if you want the more northern Nashville side or the more laid back Franklin side, or you can live right by the Cool Springs mall in subdivisions. Franklin has a lot of youth support and Recreation areas and a downtown the kids can hang around safely in. It's about a 15 miles difference from one side to the other. "Brentioch" is closer to Nollensville road and a whole other thing than West Brentwood. You also didn't mention price. Brentwood High School is amazing, beautiful and very close to several Ymcas and rec centers for athletic kids, the kids will need cars by 15 years old though, no way for them to get around once they start getting really busy. If you can afford them there are incredible homes right across the street from the High school, probably in the 800s on up.
15 is a little young for kids gettin' busy, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville