Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 04:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,388 times

Advertisements

We are relocating end of June to Nashville from the UK. My daughter is currently in year four in primary school over here (shes just turned 9) so I think she will be starting grade 4 in August in the US.

Ive been trying to find some information on the elementary schools in the area... do you have to attend an allocated school? or can you go to any of the schools in the district. Alot of the schools websites arent updated frequently which isnt helping.

Can anyone advise me on which schools are suceeding, and if there are schools to avoid?

We think we may be renting in Deerfield at Providence initially for 6 mths before we buy a property

Many Thanks

Bren
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 AM

263 posts, read 614,462 times
Schools in Wilson County are zoned, meaning that your daughter would attend an assigned school based on the location of your home. If you rent at Deerfield, your daughter would attend Rutland Elementary School. Due to population growth in the Rutland zone, the school district split Rutland last year. There are now two Rutlands right next door to each other; the new building serves kindergarten through second grade, while the older building serves third through fifth grades. After fifth grade, if you are still in the Providence area, your daughter would be zoned for West Wilson Middle School (and subsequently Wilson Central High School).

My experience with Rutland has been mostly positive. It is consistently ranked as one of the better schools in the area. The teachers are great, and the principal is top-notch.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,388 times
Thank you

Ive just been looking at the Map of Deerfield and it appears Rutland is within the community,,, do you know if that is the kindergarden part or the older grades?

One of her major excitements of this move is the thought of being able to get on a real yellow school bus... LOL , im sure the novelty will fade very quickly but she just cant wait!

Also can anyone tell me whether there is uniform for this school,,, another excitement for her is the thought of NOT having to wear a uniform as its compulsory in the UK and shes been wearing the same one since she joined nursery at 3yrs old !!

Im sorry I have so many questions, its all very different for us.

Bren

Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM

263 posts, read 614,462 times
No problem at all. Moving half a mile down the road creates anxiety for most of us; I can't imagine how exciting and nerve-wracking moving across an ocean must be.

The Rutland campus (both buildings) is approximately 1.5 miles from Deerfield. Plenty of kids from Deerfield and Aventura (across the street from Deerfield) ride the bus. My son promises it's not too bad. I'm always worried about kids riding the bus in August and early September, when afternoon temperatures can soar above 100 degrees (F). School buses are not air-conditioned. Fortunately, living so close to the schools, the Aventura and Deerfield kids are only on the bus for short time -- less than 10 minutes each afternoon.

The school has a dress code of sorts. Basically, students cannot wear t-shirts unless they are Rutland t-shirts. All shirts should have collars -- whether Polo-type shirts or Oxford button-downs. Jeans, shorts, khakis, etc., are all fine. All colors are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: