Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times

Advertisements

I always go over Lynwood to get to Cools Springs and know this development on the corner of Lynwood/Moore's Lane and Franklin Road. I think most of the townhomes/houses are in the $300,000 - $400,000 range. Always thought it looked very 'high density' and the one time I drove around the streets it was tight.

Anyway, Mapco is proposing to build a gas station on Perrone Way, which is actually INSIDE the complex, not right there on the corner across from Walgreens like I thought. There are some shops and restaurants but the residents do NOT want the traffic of a 24 hour gas station/convenience store.

You really never know when you buy a house, if the neighborhood will stay the same. Sometimes it can get better! And sometimes, they build a Target across the street or a new airport or whatever. Nothing is really 'permanent'.

I know Brentwood has a one house per acre rule . . but what about the condos they are building in the Kroger parking lot? Well, that's what it looks like. I guess it's actually on a street called Crestview. How did that happen? Or is it outside of Brentwood City Limits???

I guess they could just as easily tear down the Walgreens at Fieldstone Farms and put in a Mapco next to the fire station.

Anyway, will be interesting to see if the Gateway Village residents are successful in stopping it.

Residents fight Mapco plans for Gateway Village store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Properties are supposed to be zoned a certain way so commercial, residential and industrial uses can co-exist in a way that benefits as many as possible.

However, there is a process called rezoning that property owners can use to change the existing zoning to allow for a new use. That is what happened with the Tapestry development on Centerview Drive, which is in the middle of "downtown" Brentwood. The owners approached Brentwood's elected officials through the rezoning process and asked for the zoning to be changed from retail/office to the city's zoning designation that allows high-density housing. It passed two years ago, and the first residents are supposed to move in this Fall.

To me, it is up to residents to perform due diligence when buying and see what surrounding properties are zoned, ESPECIALLY if there is undeveloped land nearby.

A quirk I have noticed among those who say they want "walkable" properties in new areas like Williamson county, where development is ongoing, is that they only want certain types of businesses within walking distance.

To me, a gas station on a busy corner on a very busy state highway is not that unreasonable, but I totally see why they don't want it.

Bottom line: With a rezoning, almost anything is possible. It depends on the people casting the vote on the rezoning.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 07-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
The MapCo on the corner of Downs and 96W is well done IMHO and it is right there in Reed Commons.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Well, who needs a 'walkable' gas station?

Right across Lynwood as you head up the hill is a for sale sign for 60 acres . . lovely little house and I guess farmland that I suppose could eventually become a Target. Lots of farmland around there. I'd much rather have homes built than a strip mall.

I am not for or against the Mapco there although it does seem like it will make an already busy intersection even busier and at some point I think they will have to have a light at one of the entrances to that development.

Along Mack Hatcher are homes whose back yards have been annexed to some degree for the widening of the road. And they probably never saw that coming . . .

Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

Right across Lynwood as you head up the hill is a for sale sign for 60 acres . . lovely little house and I guess farmland that I suppose could eventually become a Target. Lots of farmland around there. I'd much rather have homes built than a strip mall.

I am not for or against the Mapco there although it does seem like it will make an already busy intersection even busier and at some point I think they will have to have a light at one of the entrances to that development.

Along Mack Hatcher are homes whose back yards have been annexed to some degree for the widening of the road. And they probably never saw that coming . . .
It is very hard NOT to know a multimillion-dollar road project is coming your way. If anyone's property was taken to expand a road, it wouldn't be annexed, since it's already in the city limits, but the city would have to purchase it, so the homeowner is compensated. Typically an assessor determines the value of the property needed, and the city makes an offer to the homeowner for that property to become part of the right of way.

If the property owner disagrees with the amount, the city can condemn the land and take it, or the property owner can take the city to court. It happens all the time when a city deals with 20+ property owners along a road route.

I don't believe any of the other land along Lynnwood is zoned commercial, but it's not in Brentwood so I am not sure, but like I said before a rezoning might happen. At this point, only a major developer could afford that property. One thing I didn't know about traffic lights is that TDOT uses the traffic count for the less busy street, not the major thoroughfare. So if they decide that not enough people are coming out of Gateway Village to warrant a traffic light, they won't permit one.

And if a gas station has a market, then people would walk to it. In some city neighborhoods, it's the only grocery option. Of course, that isn't the norm around here.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Sometimes you run out of beer during the game, and you don't really feel like getting a DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville