Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,558,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post
No. What it symbolizes is there is a segment of the population (not everyone, probably not even most people) who do not care about diversity and in fact would prefer that the area stay completely homogeneous.

So there's a tension there. Where I'm from, we welcome the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas, for example. Aside from the schools, that's the main thing that gets me: the lack of celebration for diversity, and more than that, the idea that anyone who is different has to conform. And because MOST people fit the mold, these issues aren't "at the top of [their] priorities." It's easy to dismiss it as "political correctness" if you yourself are part of the majority. Because you aren't made to feel unwelcome. So nothing will change.

I know the OP said that he (or she?) is sick of the liberal policies in New York. But there's nothing like coming to a place that's 180 degrees in the opposite direction to realize that maybe you're more moderate than you thought. That certainly happened to our neighbors from California. They were California-conservatives but as soon as they moved to real conservative country, they realized that, no, actually, this is a little too extreme for them. I think they're overall happy here but something like the school issue (and it's not just about what we call our breaks -- it's the textbooks we use, how we teach evolution, abstinence-only education, arming teachers, etc.) could be a tipping point for people like them.
I thought I was a Republican and was even active in Republican politics in Mass. Then I came here and realized I'm a flaming liberal in comparison.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:09 AM

473 posts, read 523,091 times
To the OP: I think you can tell that there are some people on this board (myself included) who are very angry/concerned about a particular set of circumstances happening in one county. If you had asked this question six months ago, maybe you would have gotten the warm and fuzzy answers you were looking for.

If you're looking to downshift your life (lower cost of living, lower taxes, milder winters), this may be the place for you. Certainly if you're talking about "amenities," Nashville (and the surrounding counties) are having a bit of a moment now and you'll find a lot of excitement here about bringing in new shops, restaurants and cultural offerings. That said, with that growth has come some growing pains: traffic is getting worse, there's a lot of controversy about expanding the public transportation infrastructure, it's getting more crowded, etc. It used to be that you could book the hottest restaurant in town with a few weeks' notice. Now it's much harder to get reservations even a month out. You know, sort of like New York.

I'm really glad I got to experience Nashville. It's a cool city and this is certainly the right time to be here. I'm just going to chalk everything else up to an under-the-radar city suddenly coming into the spotlight and having to deal with big city problems.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 AM

65 posts, read 95,702 times
I was not looking for "warm and fuzzy" responses, just honesty and simplicity.
Are you happy about your relocation? Would you do it again?

BTW , Reverend Al is our mayor, welfare is bankrupting our state, there is major heroin running wild in our Suburban schools, we are offering full social benefits and education to illegal aliens and there children, so if anyone would like to come on back then good luck.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM

138 posts, read 601,623 times
BTW , Reverend Al is our mayor, welfare is bankrupting our state, there is major heroin running wild in our Suburban schools, we are offering full social benefits and education to illegal aliens and there children, so if anyone would like to come on back then good luck.

Hey Escape.. I'm with you. I plan on moving to TN in Spring.. Just trying to sell our house in NY (long island- Hamptons) I can't wait to leave here. I never ever ever thought I would say those words..but I'm so D-O-N_E !! Been to TN about 7 times now and will go back again in Dec to get the feel once again. If you are planning to move visit A LOT in all different seasons and times.

We went and looked at EVERYTHING!!!! We took my kids, looked at all the schools, shopping, traffic, restaurants, etc. We met friends, went golfing, boating etc. We KNOW we want to be in Brentwood or franklin with the Williamson County schools. I see nothing wrong with them.. Being from LI and seeing what we go through here.. Believe me there will always be politics wherever you go.

The schools in Williamson are good. They rank similiar to some of the great schools on LI I'm not worried at all.

We obviously haven't found "THE HOUSE" yet so not exactly sure which schools my kids will go to.. but have looked at the areas we narrowed down and the schools that are in those subdivisions.

When I arrive in TN.. I will say I immediately feel CALM!! Seriously. I get there and something comes over me and I'm relaxed. I love the people, I love the views. I love it all.

As soon as I fly back to LaGuardia Airport.. I'm upset, stressed and feel like I landed in Beruit it's awful.

Can't wait to go!!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Agreed, some of these posts got downright odd.
I feel like telling people, I pay almost 11000 in property tax and our schools are having drug sniffing dogs come through to check lockers.
And we live in a so called "sought after" district. Lol

And BTW there are over 10 school superintendents making over 300000 a year!

Don't get me started.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:52 PM

813 posts, read 2,035,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape From NY View Post
I was not looking for "warm and fuzzy" responses, just honesty and simplicity.
Are you happy about your relocation? Would you do it again?

SCOTUS decided back in the 1980's that children with undocumented parents are entitled to a public education. Also, the percentages of welfare recipients are higher in Tennessee than they are in NY. So, if those things bother you, please understand that you will not be escaping them by moving to TN.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:10 PM

473 posts, read 523,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape From NY View Post
Agreed, some of these posts got downright odd.
I feel like telling people, I pay almost 11000 in property tax and our schools are having drug sniffing dogs come through to check lockers.
And we live in a so called "sought after" district. Lol

And BTW there are over 10 school superintendents making over 300000 a year!

Don't get me started.
Why do I get the feeling that you weren't really looking for "heartfelt" responses but just wanted to pat yourself on the back for choosing Tennessee?

You couldn't pay me to live on Long Island. It's everything that's wrong with the New York metro area with none of the upsides. What were you even thinking buying a home there?

You make it sound like there are two choices in this country: Long Island or Middle Tennessee.

Good luck with your move. It sounds like you'll fit right in.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:15 PM

722 posts, read 2,104,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I thought I was a Republican and was even active in Republican politics in Mass. Then I came here and realized I'm a flaming liberal in comparison.

This is so true LOL.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:18 PM

722 posts, read 2,104,191 times
Quote:
No. What it symbolizes is there is a segment of the population (not everyone, probably not even most people) who do not care about diversity and in fact would prefer that the area stay completely homogeneous.

So there's a tension there. Where I'm from, we welcome the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas, for example. Aside from the schools, that's the main thing that gets me: the lack of celebration for diversity, and more than that, the idea that anyone who is different has to conform. And because MOST people fit the mold, these issues aren't "at the top of [their] priorities." It's easy to dismiss it as "political correctness" if you yourself are part of the majority. Because you aren't made to feel unwelcome. So nothing will change.

I know the OP said that he (or she?) is sick of the liberal policies in New York. But there's nothing like coming to a place that's 180 degrees in the opposite direction to realize that maybe you're more moderate than you thought. That certainly happened to our neighbors from California. They were California-conservatives but as soon as they moved to real conservative country, they realized that, no, actually, this is a little too extreme for them. I think they're overall happy here but something like the school issue (and it's not just about what we call our breaks -- it's the textbooks we use, how we teach evolution, abstinence-only education, arming teachers, etc.) could be a tipping point for people like them.

I have to agree here. NYC and Nashville are what I would call several standard deviations from the middle. There are probably better fits if you are looking more middle of the road than these two areas.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that you weren't really looking for "heartfelt" responses but just wanted to pat yourself on the back for choosing Tennessee?

You couldn't pay me to live on Long Island. It's everything that's wrong with the New York metro area with none of the upsides. What were you even thinking buying a home there?

You make it sound like there are two choices in this country: Long Island or Middle Tennessee.

Good luck with your move. It sounds like you'll fit right in.

Wow!, where do I begin.

Firstly, how am I "patting myself on the back" by choosing TN? Am I that important to you?

Secondly, you say I make it sound like there are two choices in this country LI or TN?
What does that even mean? I'm asking Nashville area transplants about their experience in relocating, should I have also asked them about Alaska or Wyoming to suit you? Amazing.

Lastly, telling me it sounds like I'll "fit right in", is that some sort of insult to both myself and the Nashville area folks? Real nice.

I have posted a few questions about the area on these forums and always received helpful and "nice" responses from these people (transplants and locals), you on the other hand come across as angry, bitter and miserable about both where you live, and where you have lived.
I get a sneaky suspicion you would be unhappy anywhere.

Going by your attitude, I can understand why northern transplants worry the locals. Rest assured folks, I'm nothing like this poster. Sorry for your bitterness, as I'm sure your neighbors are also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville