Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM

12 posts, read 61,771 times

Advertisements

I was extremly surprised to see the area had such a high crime rate. Using city-data.com's data I saw that the area had a crime rate between 700 and 825 over the past few years (highest murders were 17 per 100,000 and rapes at 88 per 100,000), the national average is 323.

Every category is much higher than the national average. Why so high?

We were researching a possible relocation since I had heard the area is beautiful, this absolutely throws a wrench into our decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
It is mostly a "neighborhood" problem. If you avoid certain areas the crime rate is quite low.

However, my personal opinion is that Nashville isn't doing enough to combat crime. It seems that the affluent areas see it as someone else's problem and don't advocate for change. It will take crime spreading to the nicer areas to really push people into action. I'm an ex-New Yorker and it wasn't until the investment bankers started getting mugged that stuff got better, much better.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 PM

28 posts, read 126,879 times
I have never been robbed before until I came to Nashville. I have only been here one month, and my car was broken into at a hotel near the airport and cleaned out, laptop, breifcase, navigation aid, cds. I have never been robbed before living in CT, AL, OH, IL. Only TN. I am very disappointed with Nashville on many levels. I would not relocate here if I could do it again. I think TN is a great state, but that does not include Nashville.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreading the move View Post
I have never been robbed before until I came to Nashville. I have only been here one month, and my car was broken into at a hotel near the airport and cleaned out, laptop, breifcase, navigation aid, cds. I have never been robbed before living in CT, AL, OH, IL. Only TN. I am very disappointed with Nashville on many levels. I would not relocate here if I could do it again. I think TN is a great state, but that does not include Nashville.
I'm sorry about your crime problem. I've lived in Nashville for eighteen years and have been fortunate enough to never have a problem with crime. I don't think Nashville is much different than most other large cities when it comes to crime though. Airport hotels in most cities are prime targets for theft, especially with all of the business travellers who might leave laptops, briefcases, navigations aids, etc. in their car. If a person stays clear of bad crime areas in any city and just does a little preparation about safeguarding valuables, it greatly minimizes the chances that person will be a crime victim.
I think the Nashville area is a great place to live. I hope you get an opportunity to start enjoying the pleasant side of Nashville.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 PM

28 posts, read 126,879 times
I have to admit Gbone, we have had such bad experiences with Nashville in such a short time, we are going to rent and assess the situation. We do not feel Nashville is offering the type of lifestyle we envisioned. Maybe we will feel differently a year from now, but right now are going to just rent, so we have the option to leave if we continue to feel the same way as we do now. We are seasoned corporate relocaters, so we know the ups and downs of moving, but Nashville has been our worst location yet. Hopefully it will improve, only time will tell.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
I'm sorry about your crime problem. I've lived in Nashville for eighteen years and have been fortunate enough to never have a problem with crime. I don't think Nashville is much different than most other large cities when it comes to crime though. Airport hotels in most cities are prime targets for theft, especially with all of the business travellers who might leave laptops, briefcases, navigations aids, etc. in their car. If a person stays clear of bad crime areas in any city and just does a little preparation about safeguarding valuables, it greatly minimizes the chances that person will be a crime victim.
I think the Nashville area is a great place to live. I hope you get an opportunity to start enjoying the pleasant side of Nashville.
I agree. I've lived in Nashville for 27 years and was in Nashville a lot before then. In all that time I've experienced one crime when someone stole my mower. Of course, like most people, I wish the overall crime rate was lower in Nashville too.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 AM

142 posts, read 637,992 times
If you're from Nebraska, Nashville is probably going to seem like Compton.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:03 AM

625 posts, read 4,570,852 times
Yeah, the crime is isolated to certain areas of town and in general it's not bad...of course that is all relative to me-I moved here from Memphis, TN...LOOK THAT ONE UP IN YOUR CRIME STATISTICS, HAHAHA

Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreading the move View Post
I have to admit Gbone, we have had such bad experiences with Nashville in such a short time, we are going to rent and assess the situation. We do not feel Nashville is offering the type of lifestyle we envisioned. Maybe we will feel differently a year from now, but right now are going to just rent, so we have the option to leave if we continue to feel the same way as we do now. We are seasoned corporate relocaters, so we know the ups and downs of moving, but Nashville has been our worst location yet. Hopefully it will improve, only time will tell.
Louisville offers a great night life and many eclectic neighborhoods w/o all the crime. It ranks as the 8th safest large city in the US

By comparison, Nashville ranks as the 7th most dangerous
City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Old 05-30-2009, 03:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
Unhappy murder, she wrote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaNative View Post
I was extremly surprised to see the area had such a high crime rate. Using city-data.com's data I saw that the area had a crime rate between 700 and 825 over the past few years (highest murders were 17 per 100,000 and rapes at 88 per 100,000), the national average is 323.

Every category is much higher than the national average. Why so high?

We were researching a possible relocation since I had heard the area is beautiful, this absolutely throws a wrench into our decision.

don't throw the wrench too far from where you are because you will need it to defend yourself from the criminals in this #7 ranked city of murder and mayhem. i have three friends who have suffered robbery at gunpoint, two have been physically assaulted, and one had his house nearly destroyed during a robbery. all but one of them is moving to other cities. moving lock, stock, and barrel and 4 children. you might want to try a better and safer city. germantown, collierville, barlett, arlington, or lakeland tn or olive branch, southaven, or hernando, ms are excellent choices. i know time has past, but hopefully you haven't made the mistake yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville