Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM

525 posts, read 1,851,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantamaria View Post
I just moved from the greater Nashville area to the Charlotte, NC area. I lived 4 years in Nashville (Hendersonville to be exact) and I hated every single minute of it. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY which could possibly be one of the major reasons why - but I left Brooklyn because I wanted out of the BIGGER city anyway. THAT wasn't what I hated about TN. Tennessee simply sucks. The people are overall generally stupid, slow, hillbillies and they can't drive. Worst drivers I've ever seen. Anyway, I dont know if I'm really expecting Charlotte to be any better - but we'll see.

Well, this is rude and I don't even live in Tennessee (but have family there) and I am originally from Miami. I have no trouble pointing out all of Miami faults (that is why I left) but it can be done with some diplomacy.

I am not sure you are going to be any happier in Charlotte...it sounds like you should try Miami I think you will find people such as yourself in abudance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc0787 View Post
I'm 26, male CPA from East Lansing, Michigan. Not religious and not into country music (I don't I hate it). Can you still find fun nightlife within walking distance from housing, with mid-20s people that doesn't involve line-dancing?
Just as people in Texas don't all reach for their hats every morning, kids and adults in the area don't always wake up in the morning and think "we'd better learn to like country today because we live in/near Nashville"

People don't realize how they've been brainwashed by mass media stereotypes. And the media sees an obligation to associate Nashville with their image of what it is. It is a self perpetuating image because all media organizations see other media doing the same thing. I feel sorry for Nashville folks having to address this issue on an almost daily basis. I did when I lived there. For example when the Nashville Symphony replaced the Boston Pops for nationwide broadcast of 4th of July, the New York M.C. couldn't help but yuk it up with the usual Hee Haw treatment.

The following have moved to Middle TN and not let stereotypes stop them: Kirk Whalum, Bela Fleck, Michael McDonald, Sheryl Crow, Victor Wooten, Kid Rock, Walter Egan, Richard Thompson, Peter Frampton, Steve Winwood. Pass the word: all of these are master artists outside country music. Bob Dylan and Neil Young each recorded several albums in Nashville unfazed by the media stereotypes.

Nashville metro is 1/3 the population of Boston and has 2/3 the number of students in post-secondary enrollment. So Nashville has twice the number per capita of colleges students, but the mass media designates Boston with the honor of being the education mecca and Nashville gets the countrified treatment. BTW Nashville proper slightly less than Boston proper in population.

Last edited by groovamos; 01-19-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
I just moved from the greater Nashville area to the Charlotte, NC area. I lived 4 years in Nashville (Hendersonville to be exact) and I hated every single minute of it. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY which could possibly be one of the major reasons why - but I left Brooklyn because I wanted out of the BIGGER city anyway. THAT wasn't what I hated about TN. Tennessee simply sucks. The people are overall generally stupid, slow, hillbillies and they can't drive. Worst drivers I've ever seen. Anyway, I dont know if I'm really expecting Charlotte to be any better - but we'll see.
What an honor to have the opportunity to answer you in 2 threads. This poster notices you seem bitter and I'm sorry. But this hillbilly is 100% the product of Nashville educational institutions including Montgomery Bell Academy and Vanderbilt (excepting my MSEE from UT Austin), and I can't resist.

If Middle TN is such a bunch of ignoramuses then you need to come up with how hillbillies can stoke a blistering economy such as they have there. You could write a book and call it "How hillbillies successfully built an Enviable Economy" Be sure and mention the Spallation Neutron Source in Oak Ridge, that hillbilly town. Be sure and mention Vanderbilt, and marvel how the "stupid", "slow" hillbillies there were able to leapfrog other universities to enter the top 15 in research funding in the Nation. What a concept for a book. Be sure and give credit to my hillbilly classmate at Montgomery Bell who was inspired enough about our "slow" teacher Sam Pickering, that he came up with a fictional account and called it "Dead Poets Society" and sold it to Hollywood. I'm sure he had someone from "up north" to write it down.

You could mention, as I did in another post, how Nashville metro is 1/3 the population of Boston and has 2/3 the number of students in post-secondary enrollment, giving Nashville twice the number per capita of college students. You could detail how many of the out-of-state students stay in the area after graduation but unfortunately become stupid 'cause they're in Nashville after all.

I'm sure you could write this book because you're from "up north". We can't read and write in the South 'cause we're "stupid".

Alternate suggestion: you might be happier if you just forget Tennessee and focus on the Charlotte forums and make some friends.

Last edited by groovamos; 01-19-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,497 times
Another East Lansing Native! Dude I too am from EL been here in Nashville for about 5 years and love it! Hml1976 is right places like lansing that have no character idolize places like Nashville.. You would do more line dancing in little ol East lansing than in Nashville any day! Nashville is very diverse! As a East lansing Naitive you would fit right in.. You actually are a step ahead of the local nashvillians!! Theis is alot of money some of the riches counties in the country are here in Nashville!! Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:43 AM

16 posts, read 53,964 times
Hey goch
you forgot Beggar's Banquet, Melting Moments, and The Silver Dollar

Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
I would tell you that we'll miss you but mama taught me not to lie.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Default As a Relocator, myself

As a ex-Connecticut resident of 37 years, now here 10 years, i can tell you firsthand it is an area outsiders are welcome in.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM

112 posts, read 436,985 times
If you want to be walking distance to some bars and nightlife, try living in the Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village areas. Other bars/restaurants/nightlife are located in pockets scattered around the city and you either need to drive or cab it to those places.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 PM

35 posts, read 105,450 times
Wow so glad you brought up Boston! We are actually in the middle of moving from Boston to Nashville and can't wait to start living in the south. Although, I guess we will need to learn the whole tornado warning thing!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:31 PM

23 posts, read 67,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc0787 View Post
I'm 26, male CPA from East Lansing, Michigan. Not religious and not into country music (I don't I hate it). Can you still find fun nightlife within walking distance from housing, with mid-20s people that doesn't involve line-dancing?
I've lived in East lansing and I now live outside Nashville in Franklin. Your stereotypes of Nashville are so wrong. nashville has a diverse nightlife with great music from all genres. keep in mind there are thousands of tremendous musicians in this city and a lot of different type music is recorded here. these musicians have to work when they aren't working oin an album and They are everywhere in the clubs here. Live music scene is the best in the country!

Lansing is a much worse backwater than you perceive Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville