Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:06 PM

17 posts, read 14,791 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm planning to move to Tennessee at the end of this year. I plan to finish my business degree there. It's been difficult for me to find rules regarding when I will be eligible for in state tuition. Can anyone verify what those laws are? Is it that I have to live in Tennessee for a specific amount of time first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 02:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
The Board of Regents makes you prove that you did not move to Tennessee just to attend a college and take advantage of in-state tuition.

It is actually kind of complicated. The rule reads:

Although Tennessee does not have a durational component regarding domicile for tuition purposes, an independent student moving to the state of Tennessee must have documentation showing they did not move to the State primarily for educational purposes.

The UT Knoxville FAQ page explains it pretty clearly.

Residency | The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Old 09-07-2015, 02:43 PM

What kind of document would that need to be? Just curious because I'm not moving there for any specific reason.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desilyvahn View Post
What kind of document would that need to be? Just curious because I'm not moving there for any specific reason.
Examples: get a Tennessee driver's license, register to vote, have all of your correspondence sent to your Tennessee address, and it wouldn't hurt to have a job in Tennessee.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Examples: get a Tennessee driver's license, register to vote, have all of your correspondence sent to your Tennessee address, and it wouldn't hurt to have a job in Tennessee.
Yup. Every state does this and Tennessee is actually fairly easy compared to some others. Just do what you'd do if you moved for work. Everything listed above plus get Tennessee vehicle registration. I also think you have to have those for a year prior to the semester enrollment period beginning.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Hi! I'm planning to move to Tennessee at the end of this year. I plan to finish my business degree there. It's been difficult for me to find rules regarding when I will be eligible for in state tuition. Can anyone verify what those laws are? Is it that I have to live in Tennessee for a specific amount of time first?
It appears your best option is to check at the school where you apply. Rules may be different at MTSU from UTK. There are other business degree options at Vandy, Belmont, etc.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm definitely going to have a job. My boyfriend and I are moving to Tennessee for at least 3 years if not longer. We will definitely be doing all of the mandatory registrations and working. We will register our vehicles and be renting either an apartment or house. Since I'm 22, will I have any issues with my state of residency being where my mom is? (Georgia) My boyfriend is 25 so either way he won't have to worry about that.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm definitely going to have a job. My boyfriend and I are moving to Tennessee for at least 3 years if not longer. We will definitely be doing all of the mandatory registrations and working. We will register our vehicles and be renting either an apartment or house. Since I'm 22, will I have any issues with my state of residency being where my mom is? (Georgia) My boyfriend is 25 so either way he won't have to worry about that.
Answers like these are in that link I posted earlier.

You will not be able to claim in-state tuition if you are a dependent of your mom in Georgia.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
BUT because TN does not have a durational component to its residency requirement, you may not have to wait a full year. If your Mom claims you as a dependent, that IS a deal breaker however. As far as I know, TN is the only state without a mandatory one year waiting period.

Moving here for 3 years does sound like you're moving here for school though???

Old 09-08-2015, 08:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Answers like these are in that link I posted earlier.

You will not be able to claim in-state tuition if you are a dependent of your mom in Georgia.
I'm assuming this has to be 100% accurate. About 7 or 8 years ago I actually did an end-of-semester report on rules and regulations like these regarding how different states handle this tuition stuff. It wasn't a Tennessee school, but that doesn't really matter.

Being claimed by a tax-paying resident of a state outside of (in this case) Tennessee, will negate the privilege of getting the in-state resident tuition.

I remember when I was doing my paper, I found out that public colleges in Utah will allow students from out-of-state to attend school there and, assuming they were enrolled full-time for four consecutive semesters (2 years), they are allowed to finish their degree there with in-state tuition, regardless of where they're from. At least that's how it was when I wrote the paper. It doesn't matter in this case, I'm just saying how different each state can be with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville