Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
Nashville is not a good choice for a 33 year old wanting to be part of the dating scene, . There are open minded transplants moving here now, or so I hear, but they have been in Austin for years. Most of Nashville still marries young and is conservative. Austin feels completely different. It will be easier to break into the social scene and make friends there.
I would have to agree with this.

OPer should visit both and see which feels better to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:10 AM

247 posts, read 336,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
More progressive = more things to do?

I confused it with another post, I've updated it.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:27 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
I confused it with another post, I've updated it.
"Better" is still subjective.

I don't think most people would have a problem with the statement "I prefer Austin's nightlife to Nashville's" based on preferences. It's the idea that there's more to do there than there is in Nashville.

Again, what can you do (not what do you prefer) in Austin that you cannot do in Nashville?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:49 AM

247 posts, read 336,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
"Better" is still subjective.

I don't think most people would have a problem with the statement "I prefer Austin's nightlife to Nashville's" based on preferences. It's the idea that there's more to do there than there is in Nashville.

Again, what can you do (not what do you prefer) in Austin that you cannot do in Nashville?
Very little. Breaking into the social scene is completely different than just doing things, though. I think he'll have a better time in Austin given his criteria, because there are many people like him over there, and more people with upbeat and outgoing personalities.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 AM

785 posts, read 953,471 times
Seems like a toss up. I heard really good things about Nashville thus far overall. As far as Austin, I heard a joke that being 32 there is like being 27 in male years LOL.

I've never lived in Austin but I've been there several times being that I live north of San Antonio. I have my pros and cons down. One of the glaring issues I see with Austin is that it lacks diversity, the infrastructure is getting out of control, and the crazy traffic. I don't need it to be entirely one or the other but I do wonder if there are other options that may cater to me.

Thanks so far!

Old 08-31-2016, 04:20 PM

37 posts, read 48,643 times
Nashville's diversity is awesome which is evident in the food scene as well. I dont know much about the dating scene, but i will agree with it not being that good considering that i am 32 and 90% of the friends i grew up with are married, and having kids. The single friends that i do have...can confirm that the dating scene isnt that great.

I can speak a little for the black experience a little as well. Im asian, and wife is black. We've both have lived in nashville for practically all of our lives and have been treated with respect practically ever where we go. It's more how you present yourself to people. Most people just mind their own business. Now if your rocking grills and extreme large gold chains, then you may get some unwanted attention. Considering that youre in a profession, you'll fit in well with the rest of the working class nashvillians.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:31 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I've been looking at Nashville as an option to move for a while. Currently live in San Antonio. I work 100% remote and I'm pretty well off financially being in technology in the low six figures area. Soon to be 33. Active male.

Long story short I'm targeting a few cities with a certain criteria:
-growing tech cities
-relatively low cost of living (hence many targets in the south)
-"younger" cities
-active community / lifestyle.

Honestly the closer options I see for me right now are Denver, Atlanta, and Austin.

I'm wondering how Nashville is though. I've heard some good things about it being one of those growing cities that few people are talking about. How would it be for me as a black male here? Is it a city that is welcoming of transplants such as a bigger city like Denver or Atlanta? Active lifestyle? Music scene? How would dating be also?

Also what are the taxes there? I'm in a state with zero income tax but I'm certainly up for relocation if most things about the city satisfy my list. I also like the fact that it has four seasons and that it is only a few hours from Atlanta.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hello, I'm a 35 year old black male, born and raised in Nashville. What kind of experience are you looking for? One similar to the black Atlanta type or what? Most African Americans have a completely different perspective of Nashville than others, when it comes to cultural things, dating, church, etc. so I kind of need to know exactly what you are looking for in the city to know how to answer your question.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:44 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
You and I have had this conversation before beaste, I think you know where I stand. That said, I agree 'mostly' with someone that said Austin and Nashville are very similar. The are both hilly, have beautiful scenery, both heavily Democrat surrounded by conservative suburbs, both are popular cities with active tech and music scenes. Even the climate is similar although I would argue that Nashville is a little cooler than Austin no matter the time of year.

Where I think they are different is:

Traffic and toll roads - Nashville's traffic isn't great but it isn't as bad as Austin, by a long shot, and Nashville doesn't have toll roads.

Vibe - Austin feels like more of a town for singles where Nashville feels more geared toward families (gross over generalization I know but it just seems they each exude that vibe). That vibe you get in the Circle C, Lakeway and Round Rock areas is a lot of what you get in most of Nashville. (think north San Antonio)

Tech job opportunities - I know in your area of expertise and coming from Rackspace, you will have a lot more opportunities available to you than most people BUT, Nashville, SEEMS TO ME, to have a lot fewer MBAs waiting tables. There are significantly fewer tech people to fill all the tech jobs here than there are in Austin. This, in my opinion, is driving a lot of the transplants to Nashville.

Professional sports - Austin has virtually none unless you count the AAA hockey and baseball teams in Round Rock. Nashville has the NHL and the NFL, as well as AAA baseball. I know you can head right down 35 and hit up the Spurs from Austin (or the Toros in Austin) but it is only an hour or two farther (depending on what part of Austin you would live in) to get to a Grizzlies game from Nashville. Believe me, I KNOW the Grizzlies aren't the same as the Spurs but...

Proximity - this is one thing that is often overlooked in the comparison of Nashville and Austin. In Nashville, you are a 5 hour (or less) drive from a lot of other big cities - Atlanta, St. Louis, Cinncinati, Louisville, Indianapolis, Memphis, Birmingham and only about 6 hours from Charlotte. In Austin, within 5 hours, you can get to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi. You can't even get out of the state of Texas within a 5 hour drive of Austin!

So, again, if I were a young, single black man with your skill set and experience, I would be looking at Atlanta. But, if Atlanta is not for you - I would be looking at Nashville, Denver, Austin... in that order. I noticed you didn't include Charlotte in that list. If you had, I would have listed Charlotte third between Nashville and Denver.

Those recommendations don't take into account any family or friend relationships you may have in one city or another. It is just based on the criteria you listed.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Hello, I'm a 35 year old black male, born and raised in Nashville. What kind of experience are you looking for? One similar to the black Atlanta type or what? Most African Americans have a completely different perspective of Nashville than others, when it comes to cultural things, dating, church, etc. so I kind of need to know exactly what you are looking for in the city to know how to answer your question.
I'm looking for an active lifestyle. I don't care about race stuff to be honest and I grew up around whites. I tend to date women outside my race.

Unlike most blacks I actually grew up Catholic so I'm pretty much rare in the deep south in that regard :-). Young and progressive is good. Politically I'd probably lean on the lines of a moderate nowadays. I do like the libertarian philosophy ha.

So in terms of places I like a degree of diversity where I live. Transplant friendly is what I want with a myriad of things to do. I know one place won't be perfect though.

bspray and I talked about this before. Atlanta is on the list but I have lived there so long I feel like I want some healthy distance from my family! I still have some travel in me.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:12 PM

bspray Austin and Nashville are pretty neck and neck in terms of COL funny enough. Charlotte Atlanta and Raleigh also. Only one that would be more in terms of COL would be Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville