Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 AM

13 posts, read 34,857 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with special education in Williamson county? We are currently in New York and it's a mess we are hoping to move somewhere where we don't have to fight all year to get services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM

198 posts, read 802,191 times
I don't know specifically about Williamson County, but I can tell you that the state, in general, believes there are too many children with the special education label. Sumner County for next year is going to a 3 tier system for reading. This basically means that there will be an additional help (extra 30 minutes of reading) provided in the classroom for the children struggling for a specific amount of time before they can even be referred for testing. However, if you transfer in with an IEP we start services immediately.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 AM

Thank you. Do they think that childern are receiving special ed services and don't need it? Or do they just not want to pay for services? I know here it has been a push to either place students in a boces setting or pull services that are needed to save money.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:58 AM

156 posts, read 451,274 times
Janthony, I am in NY and have lots of experience with the special education system. What district are you in? Is it possibly that a move within NY to a better district would be more appropriate, unless of course a job is bringing you down to TN.

I know in my district, they want to keep the kids IN and shy away from putting them in BOCES due to the higher cost (they have to pay BOCES a tuition). Depending on the disability your child has, they may very well be served within district, though not knowing that information, it is tough to really speak of what's best.

Let me know if I can help you.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM

We are in Orchard Park and it has been a nightmare. Honestly we have heard horror stories from our advocate regarding other schools in this area and we have family who live near Nashville. We just don't want to move to another location where the school is more worried about the Blue Ribbon then their individual students.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 AM

Ok, I am on Long Island, so it may be much more costly to live here. In my district they really strive to keep the kids in, unless they are severely disabled or more emotionally in need. A friend in my district has a daughter with Down's and she is also legally blind, so she must be serviced by BOCES. Someone else has a child who is incredibly smart, but very socially inept and needs more hands on counseling that a standard school can supply, so he is serviced by BOCES.

As for the Nashville area, I looked into the special ed program within the Murfreesboro school system and they have a lot to offer. Again, it would depend on what your child's issues were. I would contact the pupil personnel director or CSE chairperson (unless they have another name for it) and get some information from them.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Our daughter has had Achievement testing done on 5 different occassions over the past year and half. She currently gets OT, and combo group which is a Speech/ Resource Room (which isn't really a RR because they can't work on math with her only Speech/Language). Her IQ is 98 which is average and she consistently has trouble with nonverbal on the testing but appears above average on verbal. However the school keeps approaching us (literally at least once a month) saying she's lost and needs to move to a more restrictive setting, and their reccomendation is BOCES. We don't get it either.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 AM

It sounds as if she may have processing issues, which would relate to the speech. Mind you, I'm making this based on limited info, so it's completely possible that I'm WAY off here.

If she is functioning well, is not a behavior issue and just needs extra help with academics, why wouldn't a self contained setting be appropriate? Does your district offer self contained classes? I know some don't, which could explain the BOCES recommendation.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 AM

198 posts, read 802,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janthony76 View Post
Thank you. Do they think that childern are receiving special ed services and don't need it? Or do they just not want to pay for services? I know here it has been a push to either place students in a boces setting or pull services that are needed to save money.
I believe the concern is because of all of the "No Child Left Behind" requirements, they are feeling that some may be placed too quickly. Sumner County is trying to give every opportunity for slower readers to catch on, before being placed too quickly. I teach in an Extended Resource Classroom, which is in between Resource and CDC (which is most restrictive...life skills). My goal in ERC is to get the children who are capable to Resource in the subjects that are their strengths. I don't think the 3 tier program is a bad idea, my concern is manpower for that extra 30 minutes of reading.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
If she is functioning well, is not a behavior issue and just needs extra help with academics, why wouldn't a self contained setting be appropriate? Does your district offer self contained classes? I know some don't, which could explain the BOCES recommendation.
No I don't believe they do. Furthermore they continue to tell us that she only has a Receptive language delay and Speech and Language problem which has no impact on her academics .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville