Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Nashville: buy a house, real estate, realtor, safe area.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 13,121 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We (me, wife, and baby) are moving to Nashville, but we're having trouble finding the right area for us. My wife and I went to college in Nashville, so we have some familiarity with the area, but we don't really know a whole lot about many of the neighborhoods in and outiside of Nashville.

The biggest thing for us is a street that has a strong sense of community...for example, when we moved into our current house, someone from the end of the street brought us muffins to welcome us, and since then we've come to know almost everybody on our street, as well as many people on the neighboring street. We also want an area that is a safe place to raise a family (although you'd think that any place with a strong sense of community would be safe) and that has plenty of kids around as well.

Neighborhoods that have been suggested to us so far are Sylvan Park, Franklin, and Bellevue. We really like Sylvan Park (we like older homes), but we're wondering how safe it is and if there are many families living there. We've only been out to Franklin once before, but it seems like a really safe area. We've never been to Bellevue. By the way, I'll be working in Brentwood, but I'd be willing to make a long commute (as long as it's not too hellish) for the right area. Also, if we buy, our limit is $200k (which we know is not going to get much in Sylvan Park and Franklin), but we would consider renting if the right area is too expensive (and then hopefully be able to afford to buy in a few years).

Also, Spring Hill and Thompson's Station were suggested, but I'd really rather not live there. It's just way too suburban for my liking. I'm just not a big fan of the new super-huge subdivision type settings like they have out there (no offense to anyone who lives there...it's just not my cup of tea).

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who has some advice. If there are any other areas worth considering, we'd much appreciate the input. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 PM

250 posts, read 1,014,700 times
I live in Franklin and LOVE IT!!! It sounds like it would offer the kind of lifestyle and community you're looking for, too. With a $200k limit, it will be hard to find a home in Franklin that isn't really small for your family. So, it will just depend on what your particular needs are in housing. You could definitely do a townhome in that price range, though.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
I've lived in Bellevue for over twenty years and like the area for the most part; however, it does sound like Franklin would be a better fit for you. It's a great place to raise a family, the commute to Brentwood would be shorter, and I think you would like having an active downtown nearby.

The $200K budget is a bit of a problem in moving to Franklin, but since you only have the one child maybe a "starter home" would work for you. The real estate people here could tell you more about what's available for that price than I can. If it were me, and there was any way I could "stretch" and afford Franklin, I would do it.

If you still want to discuss Bellevue or Sylvan Park, we can do that. As I mentioned, I've lived in Bellevue for a long time and one of my best friends lives in Sylvan Park so I'm over in that area quite a bit.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:30 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
I live in Murfreesboro and love it. You can get a very nice house for 200K and the schools are wonderful. We have everything you could want right here in town and it is extremely family friendly and safe. The people here are not at all snobby and are very down to earth and friendly. Yes, you would have the drive to Nashville to work, but my wife and I drive it daily (except for weekends) and it is not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be. I would not want to live anywhere else.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 09-02-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the responses.

As far as Sylvan Park goes, I feel as if we had no kids, this might be where I'd want to live. But I've been given the impression that there aren't a whole lot of families in that area, and Zillow.com says that only about 15% of households in Sylvan Park have kids. To anyone really familiar with this area, would you say that Sylvan Park is more for people without kids, or do I have the wrong impression? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwellokay View Post
Thanks for the responses.

As far as Sylvan Park goes, I feel as if we had no kids, this might be where I'd want to live. But I've been given the impression that there aren't a whole lot of families in that area, and Zillow.com says that only about 15% of households in Sylvan Park have kids. To anyone really familiar with this area, would you say that Sylvan Park is more for people without kids, or do I have the wrong impression? Thanks.
From what I can tell just by being around the area, it's populated more by young childless couples, a few singles, some older couples whose children have left home, and by a few couples with a small child or two. If you drive through the area you don't see a lot of kids out in the yards.

Another point, while I don't consider it a unsafe area, there has been a few incidents of small, nonviolent crimes. The area over towards Charlotte Avenue isn't the best. I don't want to scare you or make more of this than it really is, but you should be aware of it. Sylvan Park is certainly a convenient area and it has a nice neighborhood feel (they are always having some kind of neighborhood or block party). My friend (who is single) loves living there.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
From what I can tell just by being around the area, it's populated more by young childless couples, a few singles, some older couples whose children have left home, and by a few couples with a small child or two. If you drive through the area you don't see a lot of kids out in the yards.

Another point, while I don't consider it a unsafe area, there has been a few incidents of small, nonviolent crimes. The area over towards Charlotte Avenue isn't the best. I don't want to scare you or make more of this than it really is, but you should be aware of it. Sylvan Park is certainly a convenient area and it has a nice neighborhood feel (they are always having some kind of neighborhood or block party). My friend (who is single) loves living there.
Okay, thanks. This is kinda what I thought, but I just wanted some reassurance.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,776 times
I used to live in Sylvan Park and while I loved it, you never heard kids in the evening which I thought was odd. It was really quite when I went walking around the neighborhood. I believe this is because it is now mostly gentrified with young professionals that would be just starting families. The older residents that have not sold are probably mostly empty nesters.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 PM

187 posts, read 623,537 times
You might want to check out the Crieve Hall area just off Franklin Road and Hogan. THe homes were built in the 50's and 60's...ranch style...but a great neighborhood to raise a family and close to Radnor Lake...not to mention near Brentwood.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Since you have a baby that will eventially go to school, I recommend you look in Franklin , which has good Schools. Here is a Listing of homes under the $200k range. It can be done!

Franklin, TN, Real Estate Listings and Franklin, TN Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville