Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
You mean like snakes.

Think of the first occurrence of a family having trouble with a snake. There was an apple involved then too.
Okay, that was brilliant!!!!! Bravo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Kim - Just make sure crab apples don't attract anything else.
ahh good point!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
You mean like snakes.

Think of the first occurrence of a family having trouble with a snake. There was an apple involved then too.
Too funny and true!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM

100 posts, read 326,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
haha! you sound like me. I bombed the heck out of this place before we moved in and then walked the place the next day to see if I got anything. If I didn't have dead bodies we could move in. If we did, we would have to do it again just to be sure. Get a cat! You will never have anything live in your house again. I have 4 of them. Bugs don't stand a chance! From your name, I assume, you are coming from Long Island. I can remember lots of bugs there. Daddy Long Legs spiders, tons of crickets, mosquitos, preying mantis, but nothing that could harm you. In the south, it is a little different, we have fire ants that can put a hurtin on ya and some poisonous spiders too. I think you see more of these things the more rural you live. I think that makes a difference.

*Tip* someone here told me to throw crab apples under the house cause spiders hate them. She is going to give me some.
My next question HAS to be what in the world are those cockroach looking things that are HUGE and have been spotted in the garage and outside??

I read this board a lot and the posts about the black widows only being known to bite when in danger.... people writing saying things like "I only got bit because I rolled over on one in bed!!! REALLY creeps me out!

I was at the local dairy drive through when I noticed a spider on the inside of my windshield... I jumped out of the truck (more like flew) and made the attendant kill the spider then would not get back into the truck until he showed the dead body to me.... I need help! LOL

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,069 times
Never heard that about crab apples. Hedge Apples keep the bugs away.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Yes, that's what I've always heard too, that hedge apples (the fruit of the Osage orange tree) were an insect repellent. I've never heard that crab apples were.

By the way, if anyone wants hedge apples, just let me know and I'll arrange it. There is the largest Osage orange tree I've ever seen almost in my far backyard. It's actually on my neighbor's property but the "apples" fall everywhere. The neighbor has quite a job every year trying to pick up and get rid of the things. I also have Osage oranges on our place in Montgomery County.

I also have a crab apples tree too with lots of fruit; but I have my doubts about them being an insect repellent.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:49 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
LI2South, I think the bugs you encounter also depend on where you are living (city, rural). I was told to put Home Defense all around my house in the spring and it really helps. I don't like bugs either but can remember lots of them back in the northeast too.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Yeah that's it. Hedge Apples duh! Sorry!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Yes, that's what I've always heard too, that hedge apples (the fruit of the Osage orange tree) were an insect repellent. I've never heard that crab apples were.

By the way, if anyone wants hedge apples, just let me know and I'll arrange it. There is the largest Osage orange tree I've ever seen almost in my far backyard. It's actually on my neighbor's property but the "apples" fall everywhere. The neighbor has quite a job every year trying to pick up and get rid of the things. I also have Osage oranges on our place in Montgomery County.

I also have a crab apples tree too with lots of fruit; but I have my doubts about them being an insect repellent.
I goofed sorry Alleycat. It is Hedge Apples. I never heard of them until recently.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
I am from Michigan and I am trying my hardest to move to Tennessee before the winter. I love Tennessee weather also. I love the heat in the summer. We have hit the 30's and 40's already here in Michigan. So you are getting away from the heat, I am getting out of the cold. The reason most people move to Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville