Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM

101 posts, read 427,624 times

Advertisements

No basements in Nashville???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM

145 posts, read 515,517 times
Basements are scarce and found more in older homes than newer ones. Newer homes tend to be built on crawl spaces or on slab.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:26 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Wow, if all our homes could be built like that one.

Kim 918, when we checked into the tornado safe rooms earlier this year, it was about $6,000 for one that is prebuilt and anchored onto the garage cement floor. It's worth the money for peace of mind.
Anchored onto the garage floor above ground? Wouldn't below ground be much safer?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
One thing to consider is that there are no federal or governmental regulations for the building o these shelters. How do you really know they would actually protect you as well as they are advertised? We don't since there is no standardized method of testing them and no defined codes they are required to be built by. You are relying completely on what the company "says" they will do.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Steve_TN, I know what you're saying about taking a company's word for the safety of their shelters, but something is better than nothing.

Kim918, the ones in the garage seem to be well built. I just know that not all of my pets would be willing to go down the steps into a room in the ground. Our pets are our children so it must hold 2 adult humans, 5 dogs (3 over 125 lbs.) and 2 cats. It will also be easier for us to go in the garage from inside the house for shelter.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Steve_TN, I know what you're saying about taking a company's word for the safety of their shelters, but something is better than nothing.

Kim918, the ones in the garage seem to be well built. I just know that not all of my pets would be willing to go down the steps into a room in the ground. Our pets are our children so it must hold 2 adult humans, 5 dogs (3 over 125 lbs.) and 2 cats. It will also be easier for us to go in the garage from inside the house for shelter.

But it might not be better than nothing if being inside the shelter somehow poses more of a danger. What if the shelter is picked up and thrown? I know they say it is well secured, but how do you know that for sure? I simply would not invest in one until standards are established for building them.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
But it might not be better than nothing if being inside the shelter somehow poses more of a danger. What if the shelter is picked up and thrown? I know they say it is well secured, but how do you know that for sure? I simply would not invest in one until standards are established for building them.
The ones they bury look pretty safe. They can't get sucked out of the ground right? I would still have a fear of being trapped inside because of debris above ground. Also, what about leaking and being trapped inside. (I love to scare myself with all these scenarios!) I guess something is better than nothing like barb says, but I would seriously consider one underground only. I would rather force the furry babies down there than have something happen to them. Cats would be the hardest as they are so skiddish. I have 4 of them and it would be tough getting them down there.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
The ones they bury look pretty safe. They can't get sucked out of the ground right? I would still have a fear of being trapped inside because of debris above ground. Also, what about leaking and being trapped inside. (I love to scare myself with all these scenarios!) I guess something is better than nothing like barb says, but I would seriously consider one underground only. I would rather force the furry babies down there than have something happen to them. Cats would be the hardest as they are so skiddish. I have 4 of them and it would be tough getting them down there.
With the cats, you'd better have a well-supplied first aid kit down in that shelter after getting nervous cats down there!

I share the exact same reservations about being trapped by debris and the leaking. My thought is why don't many people have them?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
With the cats, you'd better have a well-supplied first aid kit down in that shelter after getting nervous cats down there!

I share the exact same reservations about being trapped by debris and the leaking. My thought is why don't many people have them?
I actually just started hearing about these things. They must be fairly new?
LOL@the first aid kit. Mine actually get really still when they are in unfamiliar surroundings. At the vet, they just freeze on the table and don't move. It's when they see the cat carriers they have to ride in that they FLIP OUT!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I actually just started hearing about these things. They must be fairly new?
LOL@the first aid kit. Mine actually get really still when they are in unfamiliar surroundings. At the vet, they just freeze on the table and don't move. It's when they see the cat carriers they have to ride in that they FLIP OUT!
The shelters have been around awhile. I think that people just have reservations about the cost and their actual effectiveness.

My cat claws for his life. Getting him into the carrier and to the vet is just so much damn fun! Hate it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville