Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 06:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times

Advertisements

tex-2-tenn, I'm glad you've decided to rent while you decide where to buy. I did learn one thing when we finally moved here, the realtor didn't show us everything. We could have been happy in a less expensive home than we are in, but the realtor showed us the nice homes in the upper limit. Once we lived here for 6 months and knew more about different areas, we found neighborhoods we like just as much as the one we're in. I wish you luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 22,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Oh, we've always got room for another Texan. After all, you took in a few of our wayward forefathers . . . Davy Crockett and Sam Houston being a couple of notables. ;-)

Murfreesboro would be a fine place to live, but if I were you I'd take my time and look around and see what areas suits you best. If you won't need to commute into the central part of Nashville there's any number of options if you looking for a little more land than the typical suburban plot. The further out you are, the easier it is to find acreage for a reasonable price. You might even have better luck looking west and northwest of downtown Nashville. Some of those areas are still rural, or somewhat rural in nature.
I will be going into Nashville for work (the SE ??) but not downtown.I do have time to look as i still have to sell my home down here...(anyone want a 4/2 on 4 acres..???) Don't want the typical suburbia...I am not built for that(lol) we really want to be in the country.Our kids are homeschooled but still would like a great school near .

PS We are originally from Louisiana....

Thanks yall

Old 10-11-2008, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 22,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
tex-2-tenn, I'm glad you've decided to rent while you decide where to buy. I did learn one thing when we finally moved here, the realtor didn't show us everything. We could have been happy in a less expensive home than we are in, but the realtor showed us the nice homes in the upper limit. Once we lived here for 6 months and knew more about different areas, we found neighborhoods we like just as much as the one we're in. I wish you luck.
I have run into the same thing in LA , MS , and TX That's why I still do the leg-work ..but I have worked with some agents that have stuck to what I asked for ...i guess it just depends on who you get.We do plan on visiting soon to explore for a weekend.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex-2-tenn View Post
I will be going into Nashville for work (the SE ??) but not downtown.I do have time to look as i still have to sell my home down here...(anyone want a 4/2 on 4 acres..???) Don't want the typical suburbia...I am not built for that(lol) we really want to be in the country.Our kids are homeschooled but still would like a great school near .

PS We are originally from Louisiana....

Thanks yall
Welcome to the forum! I hear ya on the subdivision thing. Hubby and I found a house we would LOVE to buy, but it's in a hoity-toity neighborhood with lots of HOA restrictions. Shoot, I'd get kicked out of there within a month at best!

I'm a lifelong Rutherford Countian and I'm biased, but I think this is the 2nd place to live in Tennessee. My first choice is Rubgy, TN cause that's where we're gonna retire to one day!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Welcome to the forum! I hear ya on the subdivision thing. Hubby and I found a house we would LOVE to buy, but it's in a hoity-toity neighborhood with lots of HOA restrictions. Shoot, I'd get kicked out of there within a month at best!

I'm a lifelong Rutherford Countian and I'm biased, but I think this is the 2nd place to live in Tennessee. My first choice is Rubgy, TN cause that's where we're gonna retire to one day!
Just curious Mary. Where is Rugby located in TN? Why is it your chosen retirement destination?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Just curious Mary. Where is Rugby located in TN? Why is it your chosen retirement destination?
Oh my! You've been in Tennessee how long and you've not heard of Rugby, TN?

J/k! Many people have never heard of Rugby. Hubby and I first heard about it in the early 90's when we stayed at the haunted bed & breakfast with our ghost hunting club. We didn't find any gosts that weekend but we fell in love with Rugby! It's located in the Cumberland Plateau near Jamestown and Oneida about 2 hours away from Nashville.

From wikipedia (because I have to get the kiddos ready for school!):

Rugby, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The settlement was founded in 1880 by English author Thomas Hughes, who was most famous for writing the novel Tom Brown's Schooldays. It was named for Rugby, Warwickshire, England where Hughes had attended Rugby School, the institution which furnishes the setting for the book.

Rugby was set up in part as a community for the younger sons of the English gentry, who, because of the accepted system of primogeniture, would inherit little or no property. Rugby was an experiment in utopian living. In 1884, there were over 65 buildings and over 400 residents. About half the original buildings, many in Ruskinian gothic revival style, survive with restorations or have been rebuilt.

Hubby and I love the mountains but when we retire, we want to stay in Tenmnesee. Rugby is our plan since it's a small community in the mountains but still somewhat close to towns for big box shopping and Knoxville for real shopping anf entertainment. We want to live a simple, more rustic life in our old(er) age and we're both drawn to the community- mindedness, cooperative spirit of Rugby as well. Plus, it's right next to Big Southfork Recreation area with lots of outdoors activities for us to enjoy.

Hubby and I are going there this weekend and I'll be sure to take lots of pics to share! Until then, check out this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...ric-rugby.html

Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM

Cool Mary! Looks so nice!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Mary, Rugby looks lovely. I never heard of it either. I've been here 2 years plus 4. The 4 is college in Clarksville a long time ago.

Steve, Ever hear of Erin Tn. I had friends from there in College.

Diane G

Old 10-15-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Mary, Rugby looks lovely. I never heard of it either. I've been here 2 years plus 4. The 4 is college in Clarksville a long time ago.

Steve, Ever hear of Erin Tn. I had friends from there in College.

Diane G
Yes Diane, I have heard of Erin, but never been there.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,952 times
Default welcome to all

hello folks i have lived here all my life and just wanna say welcome to everyone from all over!Life is so short and i just wanna let yall know that everyone here isnt uneducated and unseasoned. Never the less welcome folks and if anyone needs any advice, directions, etc feel free to hit me up,,god bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville