Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,822 times

Advertisements

I'm from Florida and moved here last year...I was in the Cool Springs area delivering pizza and someone called and complained on me for honking at them...I delivered pizzas in Orlando for 5 years before moving here, and this is the first time I have been complained on...

The reason why I honked at this guy (a Hyatt shuttle driver) was because he was exiting the parking lot area and I was waiting right behind him at the light (we both were in the lane to turn left)...The light turned green and he kinda moved up a little bit but he didn't go because a car was coming straight towards us into the parking lot where we were leaving, so he waited and I understood, but then when it was clear he still didn't go because there were oncoming cars turning to the left on the opposite side of the street where that other car was coming from...

Well, this guy had a clear path to turn left and the light was green for at least 10 seconds and he did not go..I have seen this behavior in this spot before from people. I assume it's because people around there are a little slow in the head or something.

So, we wait through the red light, and then the light turned green again and this time nobody was coming from the opposite side of the intersection but the guy still did not go, so I honked at him kind of saying "it's clear once again buddy" and he didn't go so I immediately sped around him to the right in frustration and went to make a u-turn to get back to where I would have been turning left to begin with and as I passed the area where that idiot was waiting in his shuttle bus he was still there as his light was red, so he never went through the 2nd green light that I sped off from even though it was clear..

Now I have noticed this kind of slowness and certain driving habits in this area that are not accustomed to me as I am from Orlando and Miami. Is it just me or does anyone else think that people in Williamson County are kind of slow in the head when it comes to driving? Also, do you think this guy was right for getting me in trouble for honking at him? He called my store and told my manager I flicked him off and cut him off which were 2 lies just because he was mad at me honking my car horn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
RazorRob, I grew up in Florida and have lived in several states including Tennessee, Louisiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, and Georgia and Florida by far has the worst drivers I've encountered. I'm not saying you're wrong and it's your fault, and blah, blah, blah but you're gonna have to slow down and be patient and theres one thing I can say about Tennesseans, Don't honk at them when the light turns green. It pisses them off and causes them to go even slower just to cheese you off..

Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
RazorRob, I grew up in Florida and have lived in several states including Tennessee, Louisiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, and Georgia and Florida by far has the worst drivers I've encountered. I'm not saying you're wrong and it's your fault, and blah, blah, blah but you're gonna have to slow down and be patient and theres one thing I can say about Tennesseans, Don't honk at them when the light turns green. It pisses them off and causes them to go even slower just to cheese you off..
Thanks...I see that honking the horn pisses them off...just wish they would recognize that people don't want to wait through a green light 2 times in a row...I just don't get it...I guess people in that specific county here are not used to driving like they do in places that are more populated, so they think they have all day to do things I guess...don't know...but thanks for the advice and I am patient, very patient, but just didn't feel like waiting through a 3rd green light when this happened

Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Thanks...I see that honking the horn pisses them off...just wish they would recognize that people don't want to wait through a green light 2 times in a row...I just don't get it...I guess people in that specific county here are not used to driving like they do in places that are more populated, so they think they have all day to do things I guess...don't know...but thanks for the advice and I am patient, very patient, but just didn't feel like waiting through a 3rd green light when this happened
Bus/shuttle drivers fall into a completely different category when it comes to "slowness." I wouldn't equate them with the average Nashville area driver. I think they just really don't care about the traffic around them. They have other obligations.

The average Nashville area driver would've stopped texting/talking on the phone when you honked at them, then looked around, gotten their bearings, and taken off right as the light was turning red.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,474,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
The average Nashville area driver would've stopped texting/talking on the phone when you honked at them, then looked around, gotten their bearings, and taken off right as the light was turning red.
Ha ha ha! That is so true.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 AM

620 posts, read 1,839,194 times
Hi: Long time since I've been on this site. Thinking about another trip down to Nashville (can't stay away - what can I say??!!). So Opry Hotel is up and running; right? How does it compare to what it used to be - just wondering. I know Opry Mall is gone - anything else new that's gone in since a year ago? Thanks!!! Just want to plan my trip!! Let's keep Japan in our prayers!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Hi: Long time since I've been on this site. Thinking about another trip down to Nashville (can't stay away - what can I say??!!). So Opry Hotel is up and running; right? How does it compare to what it used to be - just wondering. I know Opry Mall is gone - anything else new that's gone in since a year ago? Thanks!!! Just want to plan my trip!!
Opryland Hotel is up and running...and although I haven't been back, it looks even nicer since they reopened.

Opry Mills is closed, except for the Bass Pro Shop at the south end.

Besides a number of houses, I don't know of anything besides Opry Mills that is "gone" since the flood. Several areas got hit pretty hard, but as far as I know, all of the "attractions" rebuilt. Downtown should look no different from the last time you were here, except for the massive construction project going on at the new convention center on Demonbreun St. It's hard to tell that the flood hit a lot of areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Let's keep Japan in our prayers!!!
Absolutely. Looking at the damage and devastation there, it really puts things into perspective. Here, the flood affected thousands of people and killed dozens (statewide), there the earthquake and tsunami affected millions and potentially killed thousands. I only hope that the generosity that was shown to us during our disaster is shown in the appropriate manner in Japan. They need a lot of help right now.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,474,457 times
Fans of the Pancake Pantry take note: the restaurant scored a 59 on a health inspection report. Ew.

I've never been a huge fan, personally.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Anyone here planning to go the East Nashville Beer Fest?

East Nashville Beer Festival

Saturday, April 9th at the East Bank Greenway.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,815 times
^I can't stand beer so I won't be there. Were you able to get tickets? I know they sold out fast.

Courtney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville