Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times

Advertisements

this thread is pitiful.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
San Diego and Orange counties have been conservative up until about 20-25 years ago, when the state started going way off balance and is now looking to the rest of the country's taxpayers to bail them out from their $38 billion budget deficit disaster.
Being a victim of this economic downturn is not due to where on the political spectrum you are. South Carolina is about as ultra right wing as they come, and they probably have the worst umemployment during this downturn. And while California asks for and gets help, South Carolina will probably act like they don't want it and let their people suffer as they continue to lose jobs. San Diego and Orange counties finally pulling the stick out from their rears and getting some progressiveness isn't the cause of them having problems with this crisis any more than South Carolina holding that same stick tightly up theirs is the cause of them having problems with this crisis.

Quote:
And so I will submit to you that San Diego did not start to become beautiful 25 years ago. In fact it was more beautiful 30 years ago when I spent time there, as I was living in L.A.
Well I visited there 5 years ago, and it was very beautiful then. I also visited san Francisco 5 years ago, arguably the most liberal city in America, and it was one of, if not THE most beautiful city in America.

Quote:
And if you want to see what extreme superliberalism does to a city, try walking around San Fran, which has been marinated in superliberalism for 50 years - see if you aren't pestered by prostitutes, homeless and druggies as you make your way around the various districts.
I did walk around San Fran and I was not pestered by all those folks. In fact, one day I walked from Chinatown all the way down to Embarcadero and Pier 49 and from there to Ghirardelli Square and then caught the Powell & Hyde trolley back. No problems being pestered during all that. Neither when I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge or sat atop Twin Peaks or hung out in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood or wandered through Golden Gate park. What DID get in my face everywhere I turned was the beauty of the city. I went. I saw. I wasn't pestered. And as it turns out, an ultra-liberal city is one of the most beautiful ones in the nation. So as I said, I'll be glad for Californians to bring some California beauty to my hometown.

Quote:
seriously, Beyond Pathetic
That's quite a fitting analysis of people not wanting Californians to come because of their politics. WAY beyond pathetic. Californians have come, Californians will continue to come. And guess what? They're not going to change their politics for you. And guess what? Nashville is and will change for the better. And I'll applaud all the live long day.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabang View Post
Many people in San Fran do? You've obviously never been to SF, and if you have you must have been limited to where and what you visited.
I'm fairly well traveled, sweetie, and am well aware of the stereotypes many, if not most, self-described liberal, progressive west coasters have against Southerners. Why, even you described the people of East Tennessee as "somewhat ignorant and close-minded." Stereotypes and bigotry run both ways as you have so clearly demonstrated.

Quote:
Quite honestly, it's a good thing Nashville is made up of people from DIFFERENT parts of the country. Otherwise, it would be more like East Tennessee... where they are still somewhat ignorant and close-minded. I'm not saying all of East TN is like that, but you catch my drift.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Being a victim of this economic downturn is not due to where on the political spectrum you are. South Carolina is about as ultra right wing as they come, and they probably have the worst umemployment during this downturn. And while California asks for and gets help, South Carolina will probably act like they don't want it and let their people suffer as they continue to lose jobs. San Diego and Orange counties finally pulling the stick out from their rears and getting some progressiveness isn't the cause of them having problems with this crisis any more than South Carolina holding that same stick tightly up theirs is the cause of them having problems with this crisis.

Well I visited there 5 years ago, and it was very beautiful then. I also visited san Francisco 5 years ago, arguably the most liberal city in America, and it was one of, if not THE most beautiful city in America.

I did walk around San Fran and I was not pestered by all those folks. In fact, one day I walked from Chinatown all the way down to Embarcadero and Pier 49 and from there to Ghirardelli Square and then caught the Powell & Hyde trolley back. No problems being pestered during all that. Neither when I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge or sat atop Twin Peaks or hung out in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood or wandered through Golden Gate park. What DID get in my face everywhere I turned was the beauty of the city. I went. I saw. I wasn't pestered. And as it turns out, an ultra-liberal city is one of the most beautiful ones in the nation. So as I said, I'll be glad for Californians to bring some California beauty to my hometown.

That's quite a fitting analysis of people not wanting Californians to come because of their politics. WAY beyond pathetic. Californians have come, Californians will continue to come. And guess what? They're not going to change their politics for you. And guess what? Nashville is and will change for the better. And I'll applaud all the live long day.
I don't get it. You spend 90% of this lengthy post describing in vivid detail how wonderful California is, then in the last paragraph you make sure to let us know that Californians will continue to flock in droves to Tennessee. If Cali is as beautiful and wonderful as you describe, why is everyone leaving?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
I'm a Tennessean and my political views are WAY closer to Californians than typical Tennesseans, I prefer people from all states stop coming so that we'll have jobs again.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
What's so wrong with bringing liberal politics to Tennessee?
Keeping in mind of course that Nashville hasn't elected a Republican Mayor since when ? 1875 ?

Oh, and Tennessee has only had 5 Republican Governors since 1883. ( Hooper, Taylor, Dunn, Alexander, and Sundquist. )

Old 01-09-2009, 03:24 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,174 times
**That's quite a fitting analysis of people not wanting Californians to come because of their politics. WAY beyond pathetic. Californians have come, Californians will continue to come. And guess what? They're not going to change their politics for you. And guess what? Nashville is and will change for the better. And I'll applaud all the live long day.**

Is that a fact? Well, you know what?

YouTube - kiss my country ass

Old 01-09-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I don't get it. You spend 90% of this lengthy post describing in vivid detail how wonderful California is, then in the last paragraph you make sure to let us know that Californians will continue to flock in droves to Tennessee. If Cali is as beautiful and wonderful as you describe, why is everyone leaving?
I think that's already been answered. Cost of living. A city with an average housing cost in the $500k range is not a city with an average housing cost below $200k. And as a matter of fact, my first post in here discussed the Californification of Denver and how the reason there was lower cost of living. In Denver Californians found the outdoors amenities they so enjoy but with lower housing costs, as I said before. Furthermore, I have heard straight from the mouth of one woman who moved from San Fran to the South that she LOVED San Fran and the main reason she had moved was cost of living. It's not that difficult a concept to understand. In Nashville Californians are finding the potential for outdoor amenities they so enjoy but with lower housing costs. The whole build-out of the greenway system is a significant outdoor amenity for walking, biking, and eventually there will probably be a lot of rollerblading. The plan for the Riverfront Redevelopment will open up a whole new potential for outdoor amenities. Of course the local lakes do already.

When costs of a beautiful city get way beyond an individual's comfort level, and they have the opportunity to move somewhere else that is open to building itself into a more aesthetically and recreationally beautiful city without as high costs, why not move? Nashville won't be a San Fran or San Diego, but it CAN be a Denver minus the mountains. It CAN be a Sacramento (their American River Parkway [greenway] is EXTENSIVE) minus the summer heat. Goodbye uptight hick hometown, hello progressive cosmopolitan recreation mecca California-influenced hometown (heck I even like the modern country music a lot more than the old style)! Thank you and AMEN. And a special thanks to Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times
Quote:
Nashville won't be a San Fran or San Diego, but it CAN be a Denver minus the mountains. It CAN be a Sacramento (their American River Parkway [greenway] is EXTENSIVE) minus the summer heat. Goodbye uptight hick hometown, hello progressive cosmopolitan recreation mecca California-influenced hometown (heck I even like the modern country music a lot more than the old style)! Thank you and AMEN. And a special thanks to Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks!
But WHY should Nashville be 'forced' into become something it's not? Why should the culture of California trump the current Nashville culture? Just because Nashville may seem 'uptight' and 'hick' to some people doesn't make it wrong or something that needs to be corrected - it's just different. I don't see that the lifestyle, attitudes and 'progressive' mindset of Californians should be considered to be superior to Nashvillians more family-focused, conservative/moderate climate. What makes Californians so much better that the Nashville natives must be assimiliated and Southern heritage erased? What an egotistical mindset.

Personally, I like the diversity that different people bring to the area and I love learning about other cultures and histories. That doesn't mean that our our culture should be dismissed as inferior and something to be changed.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
But WHY should Nashville be 'forced' into become something it's not? Why should the culture of California trump the current Nashville culture?
The same reason Boston was forced into becoming something it wasn't but is now- heavily Irish influenced. The same reason San Francisco was forced into becoming something it wasn't at one time but became- heavily Asian influenced. (San Jose for that matter too). Because cultural change AUTOMATICALLY comes with growth and demographic change and migration from other regions. Why should America have become something it was not? It was a land of Native Americans with a penchant for maintaining the natural order as opposed to building cities. But Europeans migrated here and the land became the United States and the culture changed. That's just the way it works when cities grow due to migration. And America became a melting pot for it and America became the success it has become for it. Even businesses admit that diversity breeds success. So Nashville should be forced into becoming something it was not because Nashville should evolve and keep up with modern times rather than being left in the past. And that doesn't mean California culture TRUMPING Nashville culture. It means both mixing together and us observing the result, just as Irish culture mixed with the then existing Bostonian culture and we observe a result today. Why, you ask. For the sake of progress and improvement, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Just because Nashville may seem 'uptight' and 'hick' to some people doesn't make it wrong or something that needs to be corrected - it's just different.
By uptight and hick, I was actually referring to the 1980s era Nashville and prior. Nashville is much more cosmopolitan now and less hick. It's even reflected in the music, which was why I gave the shout out to Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks. They really embody that change to the contemporary that Nashville has already embarked upon and continues to drive toward. The influx of Californians is just another leg of that journey. And it's a journey that will put Nashville on the national stage for quality of life, especially in the context of recreation and aesthetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville