Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM

13 posts, read 49,865 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am 26 and have lived in Southern California for the last 8yrs. Originally a dancer/singer, I have gotten more into music (playing guitar and writing) and would love to move to Nashville in Sept to really pursue music entirely. (and try a place that is much more my roots!) I visited back in Oct 07 and liked the area's just south outside of Nashville (particularly Brentwood, Green Hills) but not sure what would fit my criteria best...

1st ?: I would like to live in a somewhat young, lively and safe area, but not right in the city. Ideally I would like to pay around $500-$700 for rent. Should I try to find a roommate out there, or rent alone? And if so, which sites/classifieds are best for looking for apt and/or roommates near Nashville?

2nd ?: As a day job, I am a certified personal trainer and would like to know some top-notch/popular gyms where people frequent use with trainers.

3rd ?: Now that Taylor Swift has taken over, is 26 too old to break into the country music bizz?

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice! Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM

933 posts, read 2,743,322 times
That rent's a little low for that area. You might find something in the "Brentyoch" area which is closer to Antioch. That is definitly too low for Green Hills without a roomate. Plus both Brentwood and Green hills are mostly comprised of upper middle class families. As far as lively and young I would look into the Hillboro Village area near Vandy (still might need to get a roomate) or any area in West End. It's a walkable area with lots of small shops and restaraunts that might appeal to your artistic side a little more. I guess whatever you would be comfortable with. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM

153 posts, read 526,381 times
I would certainly put the Hillsboro village / 12 south area at the top of you list. still green leafy, but with many more people of your age and interests. I live there and love it.

I am not too sure what rents are like, but my guess is the top of your range would get a reasonable single, but I would go for a roommate if you are new to town anyway.

craigslist is always good for apts (and everything else).

26 ought to be young for any profession, but i have no idea what TS has done to country.

if you can pick a banjo, 56 would still be young for bluegrass!!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Since you're talking about dayjobs, I assume you're pretty level-headed about such matters but I just wanted to remind ya that there are tens of THOUSANDS of people living in Nashville trying to break into the country music biz. So keep on truckin' for sure, but don't get dejected if you don't make it.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM

160 posts, read 503,061 times
Just an FYI:

I have a friend who is a songwriter/valet (read: he wants to be a songwriter but hasn't sold any songs yet). He lived in the burbs for about the last year and a half and it got to be too much of a hassel because most of the music buisness focuses around Music Row. He moved to Germantown(on the northwest side of downtown) and is renting an apartment there and loves it. His coach lives nearby (in one of the fancier new condos), he rides his bike to his valet job (saves on gas-important if you're just starting out), and he's only a few minutes from Music Row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville