Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is moving us to the Nashville area from Atlanta. We have visited as tourists, but never to look for neighborhoods. We have heard through friends that we should focus on Williamson County because of the schools there (we have a 1st grader and 3rd grader).

I've spent some time on real estate sites, but it is still hard to narrow things down. We would ideally like to build our own home - in the $375-$500K range if possible, but are also open to finding an existing home in that price range that is great for children. We'd love some insight on both types of neighborhoods that meet the price/family-friendly/great schools combination.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgirl11 View Post
My husband's job is moving us to the Nashville area from Atlanta. We have visited as tourists, but never to look for neighborhoods. We have heard through friends that we should focus on Williamson County because of the schools there (we have a 1st grader and 3rd grader).

I've spent some time on real estate sites, but it is still hard to narrow things down. We would ideally like to build our own home - in the $375-$500K range if possible, but are also open to finding an existing home in that price range that is great for children. We'd love some insight on both types of neighborhoods that meet the price/family-friendly/great schools combination.

Thanks for your help!
GTgirl, just a few comments that I hope will be helpful in your search. There are currently over 500 homes listed in your price range in Williamson County with many great potential deals. These homes are in dozens of different neighborhoods in a very good school system. I would suggest you define your house criteria(the house itself and the neighborhood), get in touch with a Realtor to let them know what your criteria are, and then visit Nashville to have the Realtor show you areas and houses that meet your criteria. To simply list dozens of developments here without knowing the specifics of what you are looking for is really not going to be much help. Most every development in Williamson County has a "family-friendly/great schools" combination. That's why more specific criteria is needed.
Nothing will help your search more than seeing a neighborhood, getting a feel for it, and talking to people in it. That is why it is so important to visit.
Depending on where your husband's work will be, don't rule out the Hendersonville area, which is north of Nashville and also has good schools.
Some of the specific criteria you might want to identify and prioritize would be: convenience to work, shopping, and schools; minimun number of bedrooms/baths; size lot; amenities in house(bonus room, upgrades, space for office, etc.); age of house, etc.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM

27 posts, read 101,547 times
We live in Franklin in The Meade at Avalon. There are several homes for sale in the 400's. The neighborhood is gated, there are tons of families with young children, excellent schools, a neighborhood pool and playground. It is two minutes to Crockett park in Brentwood with walking/biking trails, a few minutes to the Cool Springs area (galleria, Whole Foods, Target, Toys R us, etc. etc), close to the freeway, and near the Brentwood YMCA (the Y's here are amazing!!!).

We have two children around the age of yours ~ pm me if you end up moving here and we can set up a playdate.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:33 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
you can get a decent sized house in a "good" neighborhood in Williamson. McKay's Mill has a lot of kids and a great swimming pool, etc, Fieldstone Farms is another.

One thing I like about Franklin over Brentwood is the sidewalks in the newer subdivisions. I don't think I've ever seen sidewalks in any of the Brentwood subdivisions I've visited.

Westhaven is great for kids with its own elementary school opening next August but at you'll probaby have to be at the higher end of your price point. Most of the single family houses start in the 400s.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,447 times
Thanks for the info everyone. We are hoping to visit this weekend or the following weekend and will check out the neighborhoods/areas you all mentioned. Gbone - I know I need to be more specific in my search - I'm trying to find something like we have here in Atlanta and will probably end up using a realtor to help. I just know that it is nice to ask people who live in the area b/c you don't always get the full picture from websites. We live in Suwanee - which is rated by Money magazine as one of the best small towns in the US (great schools, parks, shopping, housing, etc.) - so trying to find something like that is our ultimate goal.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
you can get a decent sized house in a "good" neighborhood in Williamson. McKay's Mill has a lot of kids and a great swimming pool, etc, Fieldstone Farms is another.

One thing I like about Franklin over Brentwood is the sidewalks in the newer subdivisions. I don't think I've ever seen sidewalks in any of the Brentwood subdivisions I've visited.

Westhaven is great for kids with its own elementary school opening next August but at you'll probaby have to be at the higher end of your price point. Most of the single family houses start in the 400s.

I'll second that about the sidewalks! We live in Franklin and one thing we really enjoy is that it's so walkable! Even the new part of Carothers has nice sidewalks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville