Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Well, I just got tickets to the Grand Ole Opry. How to people dress to attend? I would imagine it's on the casual side.

Nash Trash tours were all full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:24 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I just got tickets to the Grand Ole Opry. How to people dress to attend? I would imagine it's on the casual side.
We wouldn't know. No one in Nashville ever goes. ;-) Just kidding (kind of; although there is a lot of truth to that statement). Yes, casual is fine. The whole thing leans towards the casual; heck, people eat during the performances.

Quote:
Nash Trash tours were all full.
There are other tours, such as Grayline. I wouldn't normally recommend that route, but if you only have one day it might be something worth considering.

By the way, it is getting a little chillier here. I notice the long range forecast calls for a daytime high in the high 40s next Wednesday.

The leaves will probably be mostly gone by next week, although there are a few still holding on. Fall is generally a beautiful time in Tennessee, but it's getting pretty late in the season.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
We wouldn't know. No one in Nashville ever goes. ;-) Just kidding (kind of; although there is a lot of truth to that statement).
Well, I actually really, really, really dislike country music. I like to have new experiences, though, and I especially like to see and do things that are unique to a particular culture.

Quote:
people eat during the performances.

Quote:
There are other tours, such as Grayline. I wouldn't normally recommend that route, but if you only have one day it might be something worth considering.
I read up on a "Downtown Trolley Tour" and on a "Nashville Unpublished Walking Tour," both of which sound fun.

Quote:
By the way, it is getting a little chillier here. I notice the long range forecast calls for a daytime high in the high 40s next Wednesday.
Wow. I may have to wear my genuinely warm Utha-weather down-filled parka. I was hoping to be able to leave it home.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:35 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Well, the Ryman is truly unique in much the same way Carnegie Hall is. A lot of people have stood on that stage, and not just country music performers. I would suggest the tour if you weren't planning on going to a show there anyway (although it is a little pricey just for being a tour of a building). You can almost feel the history when you stand on the stage yourself.

Again, check the WSMV TV website a day or two before you come. A long range forecast is never completely right, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the weather you can expect.

There are a lot of other things we could suggest to get a more complete and realistic "taste" of Nashville if you were going to be here longer. But with only one day, it's a little hard to recommend more than one area. I could send you to a Civil War battlefield, or a historic plantation, or a beautiful natural area, but any one of those would take up most of your time. If you want to see a little more than just the downtown area, you could go out to Centennial Park across the street from Vanderbilt University. It's not that far from Lower Broad out to West End. It's more in line with what Nashvillians are doing in their day-to-day lives (contrary to popular opinion, most Nashvillians are not involved in country music, nor do we wear cowboy hats).

Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 PM

274 posts, read 762,144 times
I have heard of Tommy's tours as well...check reviews, etc..

Old 12-03-2009, 08:54 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,733 times
This thread reminds me of my trip to Nashville years ago. I needed to have a fiddle worked on, but didn't want to send it in the mail. A friend and I did a really quick trip down and back from South Dakota. We stayed one night. We did see the Opry, the main guy was the guy who sang Rose Colored Glasses. We walked up and down Broadway. Stopped in some places where guys would sit with a guitar and mic and play for tips. Visited Tootsies and the Ernest Tubb record shop. Marveled at the guitars in the Gruhn (sp) Guitar Shop. Spent some time at the Hard Rock. Went to some after Opry show at I don't remember where, but was sure I saw Tracy Lawrence (I didn't). We ate at the Stockyards or Stockman's I can't remember, then went downstairs to enjoy the band - great fiddle player (a Franklin I think). Saw the Randy Travis Museum . Bought some George Strait stuff for my wife who was ticked she couldn't go. That's about it.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM

97 posts, read 271,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
This thread reminds me of my trip to Nashville years ago. I needed to have a fiddle worked on, but didn't want to send it in the mail. A friend and I did a really quick trip down and back from South Dakota. We stayed one night. We did see the Opry, the main guy was the guy who sang Rose Colored Glasses. We walked up and down Broadway. Stopped in some places where guys would sit with a guitar and mic and play for tips. Visited Tootsies and the Ernest Tubb record shop. Marveled at the guitars in the Gruhn (sp) Guitar Shop. Spent some time at the Hard Rock. Went to some after Opry show at I don't remember where, but was sure I saw Tracy Lawrence (I didn't). We ate at the Stockyards or Stockman's I can't remember, then went downstairs to enjoy the band - great fiddle player (a Franklin I think). Saw the Randy Travis Museum . Bought some George Strait stuff for my wife who was ticked she couldn't go. That's about it.
That has to be a record for packing the most into an overnight trip to Nashville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville